Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

EA Games Label President Frank Gibeau believes that single-player only experiences are going to die away, and the future of gaming lies with online and co-op style of games that offer fans a way to connect to others.
EA Games Label President Frank Gibeau has said that the future of gaming will involve some form of online connectivity, although not necessarily just the standard multiplayer. This means that we may be seeing the last of single player only games from EA.

“Well, it’s not only about multiplayer, it’s about being connected. I firmly believe that the way the products we have are going they, need to be connected online. Multiplayer is one form of that. “

Gibeau also discussed one of the consequences of moving to the online model. With games focusing more on content that remains fresh due to interactivity, EA is planning to move away from long single-player experiences, arguing that longer games without multiplayer components offer less value to the gamers.

“I volunteer you to speak to EA’s studio heads; they’ll tell you the same thing. They’re very comfortable moving the discussion towards how we make connected gameplay – be it co-operative or multiplayer or online services – as opposed to fire-and-forget, packaged goods only, single-player, 25-hours-and you’re out. I think that model is finished.”
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ea- … /?news=123
More DLC, more multilayer modes, and co-op games.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6687|Devon, England
Good.

Nowadays, I can't enjoy newer games unless I'm gaming with friends, or unless the singleplayer is really, really good.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6795|Long Beach, CA
This is great.  I never play the single player modes in most games.
Ptfo
Chou
+737|6787
They go where the most cash can be made, nothing innovative + they have the reputation of shutting down most of the servers after a period of time, leaving you and your game to die.

fuck ea
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5480|Bolingbrook, Illinois
yeah and if its all multiplayer it basically kills pirating
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I still love single player games, since it lets me game for a night without dealing with trolling. But this is a good move for EA, as long as they don't disregard coop.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6266
I prefer singleplayer games, because in general multiplayer ones are terrible and offer nothing new or interesting. Well made singleplayer games on the other hand take you somewhere new for a decent amount of time.

I play multiplayer games more, but only a handful. I mean I prefer new games to be singleplayer because I know I won't play the multiplayer for very long if at all.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6320|Graz, Austria

HaiBai wrote:

Ding ding ding!
This is the correct answer.

Plus, it also kills re-selling, as games are tied to accounts.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

There are some instances now in certain games where you can actually release a registered license for resale. I hope this practice grows and the cap is removed.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6650

EA made shit singleplayer games anyway.

Still going to be plenty of SP games out there for a while, and besides that, I've still got all my old PS1 and PS2 games, as well as ROMs for the shit before that. So it's not like gaming all on your lonesome (emo :*( ) is going anywhere.
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.
I like a good single player game.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6339

jord wrote:

I like a good single player game.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
jaymz9350
+54|6573

HaiBai wrote:

But what does that part accomplish, sure people can't pirate it but if they weren't going to buy the single player they won't buy the multi player either, so yeah people won't pirate it but they won't gain any sales.

I love a good single player game but they are getting few and far between already.  Most games just throw in a short single player campaign in as filler for their multi game anyway.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6349|Troy, New York

FFLink wrote:

Good.

Nowadays, I can't enjoy newer games unless I'm gaming with friends, or unless the singleplayer is really, really good.
I've only ever finished 1 singleplayer game. (or two if you count the expansion pack) COD1 + UO. And thats because I never had decent internet before that : /
bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland
we need more split screen games. I don't want to have to sit in different rooms to my housemates to play a co op game. Shit sucks, especially now tvs are big enough!
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6738|FUCK UBISOFT

bennisboy wrote:

we need more split screen games. I don't want to have to sit in different rooms to my housemates to play a co op game. Shit sucks, especially now tvs are big enough!
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6650

I got Resistance 1+2 for specifically that reason. What a fucking waste of money.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464

Miggle wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

It really is ironic. TVs are finally big enough to support split screen and no games support it no more.

Shit's gay.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6650

Black Ops is split screen
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
so is borderlands. but there arent many games that have good coop
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6466
this is like a book publisher saying they're moving away from hardback novels to comic books

why are you guys so unquestioningly happy about a game publisher admitting they want to focus on the money-hardline?

story-telling is a fantastic and engaging part of gaming; gaming's unique strength lies in the interactive experience of a damn good story

EA are basically saying they're turning away from that narrative craft to favour immediate-satisfaction multiplayer frag-fests
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6650

They're trying way too hard to be Activision after seeing what they've done with the CoD franchise.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464
If you really read what he's saying, he is not saying that all games need a multiplayer element, but an online one.

The bare-bones online screenshot posting and achievements in Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 would qualify as online elements.

Single Player only games are still in, but with extra online features that no one really cares about.*

*except maybe floppy
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6618|Little Bentcock

Uzique wrote:

this is like a book publisher saying they're moving away from hardback novels to comic books

why are you guys so unquestioningly happy about a game publisher admitting they want to focus on the money-hardline?

story-telling is a fantastic and engaging part of gaming; gaming's unique strength lies in the interactive experience of a damn good story

EA are basically saying they're turning away from that narrative craft to favour immediate-satisfaction multiplayer frag-fests
Maybe we wouldn't if all games still had an engaging singleplayer story. Many don't anymore. Hell I hardly even finish off storylines before playing multiplayer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Uzique wrote:

Was EA really a literary masterpiece publisher? Maybe we can get some non-bastardized story-based games now, if someone else fills in whatever niche they leave behind.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard