Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Funny, I see the same thing whenever statists pop up on the left too...
I focus on preserving civil rights.  Economic policy is another ball game. 
Which is a paradox. If you had your wish and we ended up in a social democracy, minorities and minority views would become irrelevant and at the mercy of the views of the mob.
Well, if you'll notice, I break from social democracy when it comes to religion.  I believe religion in and of itself is part of what keeps a social democracy from functioning properly.  This applies to both majority religions and minority ones.

Ideally, a social democracy functions best in a thoroughly secular and rational society.  To reach this point, religion must dwindle in significance.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I focus on preserving civil rights.  Economic policy is another ball game. 
Which is a paradox. If you had your wish and we ended up in a social democracy, minorities and minority views would become irrelevant and at the mercy of the views of the mob.
Well, if you'll notice, I break from social democracy when it comes to religion.  I believe religion in and of itself is part of what keeps a social democracy from functioning properly.  This applies to both majority religions and minority ones.

Ideally, a social democracy functions best in a thoroughly secular and rational society.  To reach this point, religion must dwindle in significance.
Why? It's useful for keeping the sheep in line. You need less jails when people fear hell.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why? It's useful for keeping the sheep in line. You need less jails when people fear hell.
The current extremely high rate of incarceration in America would seem to defy that assumption completely.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6407|Germany

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why? Most German people still consider themselves to be Lutheran or Catholic...
Well, maybe it's just the American context I'm using here, but it seems like whenever that phrase is used in rhetoric here, it's usually accompanied by restricting people's personal rights.
First - you guys are way to fast for me. By the time I typed one post there's 5 more to respond to...

Second - without any source to back it up I'd say that about 50% like that Christianity-remarks. As I said above, that has nothing to do with the power of religion, but with ethics. Yet, as it's used by politicians here at the moment, it's there to polarize. That old pro or contra game.
With several millon muslims Islam sure is a part of Germany and we can still be a nation based on christian ethics. I like christian ethics and I haven't prayed since kindergarten.

There are 2 reasons why the whole discussion is somewhat useless: as soon as there's another problem that can be used to polarize, no one will talk about this one anymore, and until the next general election, 80% of the voters will have forgotten about it. It's just like in every ohter democracy.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6407|Germany

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The current extremely high rate of incarceration in America would seem to defy that assumption completely.
I see we have two Americans talking - religion plays a completely different role in the states. That holding the hand on the bible and knowing which politician goes to which church and how often - all that is completely irrelevant in Germany. Religion is personal life. It has nothing to do with real politics.
Turquoise
O Canada

mr.hrundi wrote:

First - you guys are way to fast for me. By the time I typed one post there's 5 more to respond to...

Second - without any source to back it up I'd say that about 50% like that Christianity-remarks. As I said above, that has nothing to do with the power of religion, but with ethics. Yet, as it's used by politicians here at the moment, it's there to polarize. That old pro or contra game.
With several millon muslims Islam sure is a part of Germany and we can still be a nation based on christian ethics. I like christian ethics and I haven't prayed since kindergarten.
What would you say are the most prominent differences in Christian ethics and Islamic ethics as manifested in German life?

The reason I ask is because I don't see that much of a difference between the ethics of either.

mr.hrundi wrote:

There are 2 reasons why the whole discussion is somewhat useless: as soon as there's another problem that can be used to polarize, no one will talk about this one anymore, and until the next general election, 80% of the voters will have forgotten about it. It's just like in every ohter democracy.
Good point.
Turquoise
O Canada

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I see we have two Americans talking - religion plays a completely different role in the states. That holding the hand on the bible and knowing which politician goes to which church and how often - all that is completely irrelevant in Germany. Religion is personal life. It has nothing to do with real politics.
I wish it was like that here, honestly.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

mr.hrundi wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, maybe it's just the American context I'm using here, but it seems like whenever that phrase is used in rhetoric here, it's usually accompanied by restricting people's personal rights.

You're being irrational. You guy should just leave Germany and move to the U.S., and bring lots and lots of German girls.

Sexy sexy German girls.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
germans. are. racist.
Tu Stultus Es
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6407|Germany

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

What would you say are the most prominent differences in Christian ethics and Islamic ethics as manifested in German life?

The reason I ask is because I don't see that much of a difference between the ethics of either.
I feel the same, there aren't any real diffences if you view it on a reasonable level. Looking at the extremist views there might be, but thankfully were far from implementing those in politics.

That Germany may be based more on christianity though is easily explained: when the thought of Germany was first founded there weren't enough Muslims here to really make a diffence.

Using islam as a scapegoat just makes the discussion more popular. It's easier to understand. There are enough immigrants from Russia who have the same problems as Turks for example - they aren't muslim though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You're being irrational. You guy should just leave Germany and move to the U.S., and bring lots and lots of German girls.

Sexy sexy German girls.
Large breasted preferably.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

germans. are. racist.
Have you seen this thread?
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=140725
-Frederick Bastiat
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6407|Germany

Macbeth wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Sexy sexy German girls.
Naw, I like it here better. But you can have the stupid girls. They seem to imitate American reality TV anyways, so they might fit just fine.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
https://makeready.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/swastika4.gif?w=400&h=400
Tu Stultus Es
Turquoise
O Canada

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

I feel the same, there aren't any real diffences if you view it on a reasonable level. Looking at the extremist views there might be, but thankfully were far from implementing those in politics.

That Germany may be based more on christianity though is easily explained: when the thought of Germany was first founded there weren't enough Muslims here to really make a diffence.

Using islam as a scapegoat just makes the discussion more popular. It's easier to understand. There are enough immigrants from Russia who have the same problems as Turks for example - they aren't muslim though.
Do you think immigration reform is likely to occur in Germany, or do you think they'll take an approach that encourages more assimilation by immigrants?
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6407|Germany

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Do you think immigration reform is likely to occur in Germany, or do you think they'll take an approach that encourages more assimilation by immigrants?
When the discussion goes on for another few months there will probably be some legislation passed. It will do neither good nor bad, but it will appease the masses. Integration is the real key, and it's being done. Not so much on the political level but more on a regional, sociological level. The Turkish president told immigrants in Germany to learn german and follow German laws, which is a step in the right direction.
Politics won't play a major part in this. Immigrants will eventually realize that they can only live a good life here if they respect the German society, especially with the current problems of the social system (aging population).
Turquoise
O Canada

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

When the discussion goes on for another few months there will probably be some legislation passed. It will do neither good nor bad, but it will appease the masses. Integration is the real key, and it's being done. Not so much on the political level but more on a regional, sociological level. The Turkish president told immigrants in Germany to learn german and follow German laws, which is a step in the right direction.
Politics won't play a major part in this. Immigrants will eventually realize that they can only live a good life here if they respect the German society, especially with the current problems of the social system (aging population).
Wouldn't it be more likely that Germany will eventually operate as a bilingual nation?  I know Germans generally already know multiple languages through schooling and trade but it looks like immigration from Turkey is pretty significant for Germany's overall population growth.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ
It's weird that the intelligent people seem to try to integrate and relate to how the other side is doing. Then the other side gets accepted into the community and don't try to move towards the values of the better system. So the immigrants get there and try to breed as much as possible to have a voice down the line. But if their lifestyle was so great in their homeland, why are they bothering to leave? 

I don't understanding leaving a lifestyle that doesn't or didn't help them survive as a human being and then trying to make others fall into the side of rule?

Meaning hey it really sucks here, lets move over there.

Ok now that we're here, you guys need to understand that we need things done this way. Like we had it over there.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-10-18 10:01:15)

Turquoise
O Canada

cpt.fass1 wrote:

It's weird that the intelligent people seem to try to integrate and relate to how the other side is doing. Then the other side gets accepted into the community and don't try to move towards the values of the better system. So the immigrants get there and try to breed as much as possible to have a voice down the line. But if their lifestyle was so great in their homeland, why are they bothering to leave? 

I don't understanding leaving a lifestyle that doesn't or didn't help them survive as a human being and then trying to make others fall into the side of rule?
Well, it's kind of why immigration restrictions are important.  If you control the flow of immigration to the point that assimilation is more effective for the benefit of the majority culture, then fewer problems occur in this manner.

It also shows that culture is a more powerful force in human nature than logic.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ

Turquoise wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Well, it's kind of why immigration restrictions are important.  If you control the flow of immigration to the point that assimilation is more effective for the benefit of the majority culture, then fewer problems occur in this manner.

I understand that. Basically immigration ceases to be Immigration if they come with demands. It at that point becomes an  invasion and should be treated as such. Honestly don't come from your shit country and try to get my great country to start following your rules and then call me racist if I don't want to.
Turquoise
O Canada

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I understand that. Basically immigration ceases to be Immigration if they come with demands. It at that point becomes an  invasion and should be treated as such. Honestly don't come from your shit country and try to get my great country to start following your rules and then call me racist if I don't want to.
There's also the differences between economic refugees and political ones.

Economic refugees are looking for work but have no interest in changing their cultural lifestyle.  Political refugees usually have a greater appreciation for Western freedoms.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6407|Germany

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Wouldn't it be more likely that Germany will eventually operate as a bilingual nation?  I know Germans generally already know multiple languages through schooling and trade but it looks like immigration from Turkey is pretty significant for Germany's overall population growth.
Germany does need immigration to support the social system and the economy, but accepting the language of immigrants as an official language would blow the whole thing out of proportion. Yes, there are many Turks in Germany, but those who don't try to integrate are only a part of them. Many are integrated, speak german, have a good education and a good job. The rest is a minority. A problematic minority, but a minority. It would be like having Chinese as official language in the US because of the Chinese immigrants.
Turquoise
O Canada

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

Germany does need immigration to support the social system and the economy, but accepting the language of immigrants as an official language would blow the whole thing out of proportion. Yes, there are many Turks in Germany, but those who don't try to integrate are only a part of them. Many are integrated, speak german, have a good education and a good job. The rest is a minority. A problematic minority, but a minority. It would be like having Chinese as official language in the US because of the Chinese immigrants.
Do you think that Germans will eventually increase their birthrate, or will Germany most likely be an ethnically Turkish majority country in about 30 years or so?   I know that's a highly speculative question, but I'm just interested in getting your perspective on this as a German citizen.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

mr.hrundi wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Do you think that Germans will eventually increase their birthrate, or will Germany most likely be an ethnically Turkish majority country in about 30 years or so?   I know that's a highly speculative question, but I'm just interested in getting your perspective on this as a German citizen.
You do realize that Turks only make up 2.1% of the population?
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
thats the same as the jews were before the holocaust, almost
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard