henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6351|Belfast

presidentsheep wrote:

henno13 wrote:

I've always found simultaneous equations to be very straight forward, yet this one just makes my head hurt.

42x = 2y-1
94x = 3y+1

I know I have to convert it, but the problem is where to start. This may seem very basic to some of you, but I have no idea how to work this out. Help please?
take logs to base 2 of equation 1 and logs to base 3 of equation 2
edit: 1 mo and i'll do it.

42x = 2y-1
94x = 3y+1

log242x = log22y-1
(2x)log24 = (y-1)log22
2x(2) = y-1)(1)
4x = y-1
x2 => 8x = 2y-2

log394x = log33y+1
(cba to type out this step)
4x(2) = y+1

==> 2y-2=y+1
        y=3

==>8x-1 = 4x+1
       x=0.5
Thanks a lot but....

I don't think I should be using logs, we haven't gotten that far into the course yet. Besides, it's a non-calculator paper. Any possible methods without using logs?
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5964|Places 'n such

henno13 wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

henno13 wrote:

I've always found simultaneous equations to be very straight forward, yet this one just makes my head hurt.

42x = 2y-1
94x = 3y+1

I know I have to convert it, but the problem is where to start. This may seem very basic to some of you, but I have no idea how to work this out. Help please?
take logs to base 2 of equation 1 and logs to base 3 of equation 2
edit: 1 mo and i'll do it.

42x = 2y-1
94x = 3y+1

log242x = log22y-1
(2x)log24 = (y-1)log22
2x(2) = y-1)(1)
4x = y-1
x2 => 8x = 2y-2

log394x = log33y+1
(cba to type out this step)
4x(2) = y+1

==> 2y-2=y+1
        y=3

==>8x-1 = 4x+1
       x=0.5
Thanks a lot but....

I don't think I should be using logs, we haven't gotten that far into the course yet. Besides, it's a non-calculator paper. Any possible methods without using logs?
really shouldnt need a calculator for that one, cant see how else you could do it easily.
Trial and error?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Arc
silly one-liner
+24|6462|Ontario
42x = 22*2x
B-Scimitar
Defeating your warriors.
+116|6412|Espoo, Finland

henno13 wrote:

42x = 2y-1
94x = 3y+1
(22)2x = 2y-1
24x = 2y-1
4x = y-1
y = 4x + 1

Similarly, 9 = 32 and so on.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5486|Bolingbrook, Illinois
Hey guys, I need a critique on my literary analysis on the book Night by Elie Wiesel.  I'm being graded on:

• Writes an introduction which includes an attention getter, bridge, thesis, and preview.
  • Crafts a thesis that is an arguable statement that shows a casual relationship related to the prompt.
  • Identifies a critical theme and its effect within the text that reflects Night.
  • Selects, organizes, and integrates one quote from Night. The quotes directly prove the thesis. (It is NOT a plot quote.)
  • Discusses the overall effect of the theme respective to the chosen option in the conclusion.
  • Restates the thesis and circles back to the attention-getter in the conclusion.
  • Concludes with insight into the wider world of human experience by writing a universal truth. (So what?)
  • Organizes the paper logically, effectively, and smoothly; he/she follows the given paper format.
  • Selects strong subjects and verbs; he/she uses a variety of extensive vocabulary words.
  • Properly blends and documents all quotes according to MLA.
  • Uses correct grammar & conventions (especially active versus passive voice).
  • Uses present tense & third person point of view ONLY.
  • All formatting requirements are followed correctly (font, margins, etc.).

Here's my literary analysis:
                        Hope
    Life is filled with difficulties and hardships.  People need to be persistent trying to get past life’s struggles.  However, when someone is going through a tough time, they may want to give up because they don’t believe they can do it.  Whether it is learning to ride a bike or being depressed and on the verge of suicide, there is one aspect that helps people deal with struggles in their lives.  That aspect is hope.  Being hopeful is the most important aspect of survival because once someone gives up hope; they lose the will to live and to try.  When someone has hope, it serves as motivation which fuels their persistence and allows them to eventually complete their goal.  Without it, they don’t have any motivation, they lose their persistence, and they give up and admit defeat.

When someone gives up hope in survival, they give up their life.  Akiba Drumer, a Jewish holocaust victim who gradually loses his Jewish faith from what he witnesses at the concentration camps, shows this when he lost his faith in his religion along with his hope for survival.  There was a selection, a process where the weak are chosen to be executed, at a concentration camp named Buna.  Drumer is selected for execution because “as soon as he felt the first chinks in his faith, he lost all incentive to fight and opened the door to death.  When the selection came, he was doomed from the state, offering his neck to the executioner,” (77).  Drumer loses his faith and his hope, which makes him lose all incentive to fight which caused his death.  If Drumer remained hopeful, he would have kept fighting.  He would have shown the officers who were choosing the weak that he was strong and that he should not be executed.  But because he gave up, he let the officers select him for execution without a fight.  This shows that if someone loses hope, they lose their chance at survival.

When someone stays hopeful, they will always have a chance.  A young boy from Warsaw was hung because he had stolen during an air raid.  This young boy was tall, strong, and courageous.  He was not afraid of death and refused to be blindfolded.  They were about to pull the chair from under the young man’s feet when he “shouted, in a strong and calm voice:  “Long live liberty!  My curse of Germany!  My curse!  My-“  The executioner had completed his work,” (62).  The young boy was not afraid of death, and list last words of freedom.  This gave all the prisoners at the concentration camp hope which made them all feel better.  On that evening, “the soup tasted better than ever . . .” (63).  It caused the prisoners to think about liberty.  It made them think that the battle is not over, and that they are getting closer and closer to liberty.  This raised prisoner morale and increased their probabilities at survival because they were motivated to keep trying to achieve their goal: to survive.  This shows that if someone has hope, they will always have a chance to survive.

These quotes show the effect of loss of hope on survival and the effect of a gain of hope on survival.  When someone loses hope, they give up.  When that happens, they also lose the will to live.  Hope is the most important part of survival because without it people give up which opens the doors to death.  Hope serves as motivation which fuels persistence.  Hope is the starting block for any goal.  If the goal is to learn how to ride a bike, no matter how much someone falls and fails, if they remain hopeful, they will eventually achieve their goal.  If the goal is to get through a hardship, for example surviving the holocaust, if someone believes that someday they will be free, they will keep trying and do whatever they can to survive.  A death of a family member would be just like falling on a bike.  They just need to get up, brush themselves up, and keep going.  This is something Elie Wiesel managed to achieve throughout the holocaust.  Hope is the starting block for any goal, and if you remain hopeful, someone can achieve whatever they set their mind to.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6635

i loved that book, so haunting yet it was such an eye opener.
don't you guys hand your essays in online to prevent plagiarism? if you hand it in now, it's gonna look like you plagiarized it :S
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6740|Oxferd Ohire
ive only had a couple profs make us hand it in online. others dont care v0v
we have a thing called trust at my uni gooners
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6635

oh trust, yeah right um okay there
HaiBai

Gooners wrote:

don't you guys hand your essays in online to prevent plagiarism? if you hand it in now, it's gonna look like you plagiarized it :S
yeah we do but i can always edit the post or prove that this is mine
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6635

HaiBai wrote:

Gooners wrote:

yeah we do but i can always edit the post or prove that this is mine
doesn't it get saved in the cache or whatever? doesn't matter anyway
HaiBai
yeah it doesnt.  i just want a critique because this thing is due tomorrow
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6635

A young boy from Warsaw was hung because he had stolen (Stolen what?) during an air raid.  This young boy was tall, strong, and courageous.  He was not afraid of death and refused to be blindfolded.

go over this bit of text, it doesn't flow
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6449|Amsterdam‫
I dont need help with it, i just think the density-gradient equilibrium sedimentation is cool  <3 biochemistry

8. The DNA in a bacterium is uniformly labeled with 15N, and the organism shifted to a growth medium containing 14N-labeled DNA precursors. After two generations of growth, the DNA is isolated and is subjected to density-gradient equilibrium sedimentation. What proportion of light-density DNA to intermediate-density DNA would you expect to find?
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5701
hey RTHKI m8, what uni do you attend?
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6514|Gold Coast
How does one integrate the following:
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/20406/integration%20halp.jpg
Ive got a few steps from yahoo, but unsure as to how they got the following steps. reward for helpfuls.

btw the bounds are from 0 to infinity.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6724|Sydney, Australia

KuSTaV wrote:

How does one integrate the following:
http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/20406 … 20halp.jpg
Ive got a few steps from yahoo, but unsure as to how they got the following steps. reward for helpfuls.

btw the bounds are from 0 to infinity.
Plug that into wolfram alpha.. you can usually get it to show you step by step

Edit: just do it without the bounds to see the steps.. then plug in 0 and infinity like you normally would when evaluating an integral..
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6514|Gold Coast
Ah yeah, Ive got TI-Nspire, which is a program which does that. I know the answer, but dunno the steps to go through it.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6514|Gold Coast
nevermind, got it!

just saw your edit then...fuuuuck lol.

Last edited by KuSTaV (2010-10-06 03:46:37)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas
Anyone here good with circuits? I need help finding equivalent resistance... and these "triangle" circuits confuse the shit out of me. I don't know if things are in parallel or series...

Halp plz.

https://imgur.com/zV0P2.jpg
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6194|Roma
Resistance in series: Rt = R1 + R2

Resistance in parallel: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2

1/R = 1/83 + 1/(17+65)  or

1/R = 1/83 + 1/(34+65)

I got 45 or 41, can't remember which one was which though. Is that right?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas
erm, no

I know how to find the equivalent resistance while in parallel or series, but I don't think it's "that simple" by looking at the picture

The 65 and 83 are in parallel, but kind of... since it's across another resistor, I dunno wtf to do. The current is split so they're certainly in parallel, but what I got when putting those two in parallel with the 34 in parallel was incorrect. Now, I think the 17 ohm resistor is just completely ignored since it's in parallel with an unresisted line... but i dunno for sure.

It would be really simple if it weren't for that middle resistor, I just dunno how to go about solving it.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6194|Roma
I dunno then. If it isn't that simple then I haven't covered it and can't help you
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5753|شمال
https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Middleeaster/zV0P2.jpg
1. X and Y are parallel
2. X and Y are in series with Z.
3. X, Y and Z are parallel with I.

I get : 39.76 Ohm

I have a simulation that confirms the result.
I see the circuit like this:
https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Middleeaster/Kreds.jpg
By using our dear Ohm's law- Voltage/Current= Resistance, we get:
https://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/Middleeaster/TtlR.jpg
Green is V, red is current and the resistance is in blue, top graph. Result is marked by red circle.

U better check with the teacher, hope it is correct...lel
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Bevo
Nah
+718|6523|Austin, Texas
That was correct, thanks a ton...

Although I have 2 more problems like it and I have no idea how you arrived at the conclusion that X and Y are in parallel I re-drew the figure exactly like you did.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6326|New Haven, CT
Problems like these are the reason I chose Mechanical Engineering.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard