Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
i was gonna suggest lower education standards/expectation but thought little crybabies like you would jump on and report such a ludicrous assumption

surprise #1 of the day
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13rin
+977|6476

Uzique wrote:

why the fuck do parents cry at graduation?

high-school is compulsory by law over here and 'graduating' basically means 'congrats you've been here for your time, here are some easy-as-fuck and mostly-worthless qualifications'.

i don't really understand the pomp and occasion with american high-school graduation. it's not as if you've just got a PhD.
Oh, it's much worse than you think.  My Son (@7) has all ready had a pre-school graduation, kindergarden graduation & a first grade graduation.  It cheapens the shit outta it.  Back in the day not everyone went on to College and a HS diploma meant much more than it does today.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire

Uzique wrote:

i was gonna suggest lower education standards/expectation but thought little crybabies like you would jump on and report such a ludicrous assumption

surprise #1 of the day
k
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6127|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

high-school is compulsory by law over here and 'graduating' basically means 'congrats you've been here for your time, here are some easy-as-fuck and mostly-worthless qualifications'.

i don't really understand the pomp and occasion with american high-school graduation. it's not as if you've just got a PhD.
I don't get it either.  Commencement ceremonies are boring as hell anyway.  You have to sit there, listen to some boring guy talk about what it means to be successful, etc... and then watch every.other.person get their diploma and the shenanigans they decide to pull because they are in the center of attention.  Oh well...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
well, 20 years ago in england many people didn't go onto higher-education and university

and we still didn't have a stupid-ass self-congratulatory ceremony to gloriously pass on our terrific young O-Level academics

sorry im raining on the parade a little here: congrats cryan

what are you going to do with your life now you have reached the lofty heights of high-school graduation?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6127|North Tonawanda, NY

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Oh, it's much worse than you think.  My Son (@7) has all ready had a pre-school graduation, kindergarden graduation & a first grade graduation.  It cheapens the shit outta it.  Back in the day not everyone went on to College and a HS diploma meant much more than it does today.
Did they give him a cap and gown?  Someone at work was showing a pic and she thought it was hilarious that they had each kid pose in a cap and gown for a first grade 'graduation'.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6636|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Congrats!

Have fun and get wasted mohafucka'
13rin
+977|6476

Uzique wrote:

well, 20 years ago in england many people didn't go onto higher-education and university

and we still didn't have a stupid-ass self-congratulatory ceremony to gloriously pass on our terrific young O-Level academics

sorry im raining on the parade a little here: congrats cryan

what are you going to do with your life now you have reached the lofty heights of high-school graduation?
Different cultures I guess...  We did have a school of thought take hold a decade or two ago where no matter what -every kid got a trophy.  It's a loser mentality that doesn't do the kids any favors.  Now when they grow up, they expect people to celebrate thier most basic duties. 

SenorToenails wrote:

Did they give him a cap and gown?  Someone at work was showing a pic and she thought it was hilarious that they had each kid pose in a cap and gown for a first grade 'graduation'.
Yes he had a cap and gown... He spent the entire goddamn ceremony trying to bite the fucking tassel. *sigh

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-06-28 13:24:31)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

SenorToenails wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Both my sons had cap and gowns during their pre-school graduation.

And to any haters.  Fuck off!!!  You don't know the feeling until you have kids, especially if they are graduating with honors, magna/summa cum-laude, valedictorian, etc.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
yea but if they dont have any special honors.. high school is very easy.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
honestly if i had kids, i wouldn't be so overwhelmed with emotion at their 'graduation' from secondary school with GCSE's

you can train a chimp to graduate at that level - it's all learning-by-rote at an elementary level

sure i'll be proud as hell if, hypothetically, i have children that actually graduate (i.e. from college)

school? congrats kid, you got pushed through an obligatory legal-requirement education curriculum, now jog on and actually achieve something
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Uzique wrote:

honestly if i had kids, i wouldn't be so overwhelmed with emotion at their 'graduation' from secondary school with GCSE's

you can train a chimp to graduate at that level - it's all learning-by-rote at an elementary level

sure i'll be proud as hell if, hypothetically, i have children that actually graduate (i.e. from college)

school? congrats kid, you got pushed through an obligatory legal-requirement education curriculum, now jog on and actually achieve something
Quoted for posterity, if and when you get kids.

Graduating is easy.  Being valedictorian, with a GPA of at least 4.5 (taking all AP/Honors courses available), well, anyone claim that here?  I can claim second, but aiming for number one for my kids.  Yeah, they don't mean much once in Uni, but very important for getting those scholarships.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-06-28 13:33:22)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6518|Austin, Texas

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Graduating is easy.  Being valedictorian, with a GPA of at least 4.5 (taking all AP/Honors courses available), well, anyone claim that here?  I can claim second, but aiming for number one for my kids.  Yeah, they don't mean much once in Uni, but very important for getting those scholarships.
graduated with a 5.3*, taking all IB/AP courses, was not that taxing

*- we got +10pts on our GPA calculated grades for taking AP/IB courses, I'm guessing if you ignored that and averaged it in with athletics and required standard classes my average GPA would be around 4.7
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
my high school doesnt weight the gpa
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6714|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Congrats.  Prepare for 3 hours or more or boredom puncuated by 0 minutes of excitement...unless someone decides to streak across the state, then you get 0.25 seconds of excitement before the cops tackle them.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i graduated at high-school level as a valedictorian (or the english equivalent, anyway) and didnt even revise for my exams

had scouted interest for scholarships etc. and everything else, too. conferences, endless boring trips, whatever.

were my parents proud? probably. emotional? no. was i pleased with myself? not really. gown and ceremony? get outta here.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
i dropped out when I was 17 and got my ged
Tu Stultus Es
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

eleven bravo wrote:

i dropped out when I was 17 and got my ged
good

enough

diploma?

i skipped my graduation, because i had enough credits in, and my 18th birthday was on semester break.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Bevo, Uzique.  Congrats.   Who'd of thunk, an FPS gaming forum has brainiac members...

But yeah, getting Valedictorian plays an important part here.  Free tuition at certain private High Schools here if you are the valedictorian of your private middle school.

Oh, congrats Ryan...

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-06-28 13:57:32)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America

Bevo wrote:

*- we got +10pts on our GPA calculated grades for taking AP/IB courses, I'm guessing if you ignored that and averaged it in with athletics and required standard classes my average GPA would be around 4.7
The fuck? Did you go to one of those insanely bloated GPA schools? People think it's absurd that my school based AP classes on a 5.0 scale, and even then the highest possible GPA by the end is around 4.5 IIRC.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6518|Austin, Texas

DesertFox- wrote:

Bevo wrote:

The fuck? Did you go to one of those insanely bloated GPA schools? People think it's absurd that my school based AP classes on a 5.0 scale, and even then the highest possible GPA by the end is around 4.5 IIRC.
I dunno what exactly you mean

100 avg in all regular classes resulted in a GPA of 5.0 afaik
100 avg in all AP/IB classes (which is not possible obviously) resulted in a GPA of 6.0

Valedictorian was 5.5 or so I think, I was 8th in a class of 550.
GR34
+215|6542|ALBERTA> CANADA
OMG RYAN your in my grad class!!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Bevo wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Bevo wrote:

100 avg in all AP/IB classes (which is not possible obviously) resulted in a GPA of 6.0

Ah, so you only got 4.3 in our scaling system..  4.0 is the max if you don't take any AP/Honors courses here in SoCal.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6518|Austin, Texas

Ilocano wrote:

Bevo wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Ah, so you only got 4.3 in our scaling system..  4.0 is the max if you don't take any AP/Honors courses here in SoCal.
Yeah it varies I'm sure, it's on a point by point basis though not like here at UT where they do A/B/C and for some classes A/A-/B+/B etc. If an A in an AP/IB class always resulted in 5 grade points, my GPA would be higher..

shrug
VicktorVauhn
+319|6389|Southern California

Ryan wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

What exactly is there to be nervous about? You walk on, shake someones hand, walk off.
Yea but it's the atmosphere. Around 300 grads, 800 or so people in the audience. Some will be crying, others clapping, etc.

Just hard to imagine how 12 years went by so fast, and how the ceremonies will be over in like 3 hours.
If you cry at a highschool graduation, you are probably retarded.

How can you be that amazed/excited/emotionally drained by accomplishing what 99% or more of functioning society already has?

Highschool graduation is expected, routine, and means little more then your not a complete fuck up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard