ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land
http://theunlikelyfan.blogspot.com/

If you're American, soccer probably isn't your cuppa tea. But, due to ESPN's admirably relentless promotion (they'll be unleashing their three Big B's: Bob Ley, Bill Simmons and Bono), you're probably at least a little curious about the World Cup, if you're a sports fan anyway. But when it comes to going the extra mile and actually learning about all the teams, perhaps that sounds like something for which you can't be bothered.

I'm here to help.

What follows is a list of every one of the World Cup's 32 teams, alongside the American sports team it most parallels. Some of these analogies are slightly better than tenuous. Some of them are dead-on. All of them are at least a decent starting point to give you a frame of reference.
This is pretty well done right here
SamTheMan
­
+341|5143|Stoke, England
silly yanks
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6633|New Hampshire, USA
durrrr what is this gaem of socker you are speking words about, i only liek bases ball, african jump ball, and reel football

Actually read the whole article, quite interesting tbh
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
lol

nobody was pats though, i would've mildly supported whoever they said was pats, unless it was like germany or some shit
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6491|Gogledd Cymru

go pats
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6109|Birmingham, UK
Pretty interesting to read.
Kez
+778|5705|London, UK
I wouldn't worry America you're gonna lose to England and crash out of the group stages so hardly worth watching to be honest!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I'm pretty sure they'll beat Algeria and whoever the other team is, Slovenia or something

oh yeah whatever happened to .soup
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

Soccer/Football is boring to Americans in the same way that baseball is boring to everyone else. It's slow and takes forever. Also everyone in soccer/football falls down and acts like a ninny when a gust of wind comes by.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I never understood that, it's no way near as start-stop-rest as Baseball/American football is. It's almost always constantly moving. Whereas there's tons of stops and breaks in baseball/gridiron. It's much closer to Basketball and Ice Hockey than your other two popular sports.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-05-25 12:09:34)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

Mekstizzle wrote:

I never understood that, it's no way near as start-stop-rest as Baseball/American football is. It's almost always constantly moving. Whereas there's tons of stops and breaks in baseball/gridiron. It's much closer to Basketball and Ice Hockey than your other two popular sports.
Yes, I see that. But we still find it boring as goals aren't scored very often, and it's just a lot of running back and forth. As with any sport, you can appreciate its nuances the more you watch it. For me, and a lot of other people, soccer is just too boring and not worth watching as much as basketball, football, or even baseball.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6709|67.222.138.85

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah they're always running, but nothing actually happens. It's just a mush of activity, there is no definite measurement of the action (scoring) like in the other games. Football/basketaball/even baseball to some degree all have definite plays and moves that distinctly result in clear gains/losses. Baseball just takes a lot more time between those plays than the others.
Kez
+778|5705|London, UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

I'm pretty sure they'll beat Algeria and whoever the other team is, Slovenia or something

oh yeah whatever happened to .soup
i doubt it

algeria knocked out egypt, african champions (how the fuck they never get into a world cup is beyond me) and slovenia surprised russia.. both very handy teams, usa well they lost to honduras says it all really
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
Who cares you either like it or you don't. I can't stand basketball, baseball but I'm not gonna moan about it in every thread.

Rabble rabble.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

hey! we're in Group C! yaaaay
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6673|UK
if marine can convert to the beautiful game then there is hope for americans.  I can feel it.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

marine was dropped on his head as a baby.
they did build a MLS stadium in my town, and dammit if they didn't win a prize or something . . .
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6633|New Hampshire, USA
Idk why everyone thinks Americans hate soccer.  I'm not gonna lie, I only watch NFL and MLB on tv but i appreciate just about any other sport nonetheless. Hell I played 4 years of soccer as a kid before I started playing football (american football that is) in junior high and high school.  Not watching =/= dislike.  I'd say for me it goes: American football>baseball>hockey>soccer>laccrose>golf>basketball in terms of watching.  Watever though, to each his own i guess
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America
Vierundfünfzig, vierundsiebzig, neunzig, zweitausendzehn, ja, so stimmen wir alle ein. Mit dem Herz in der Hand und der Leidenschaft im Bein werden wir Weltmeister sein!

Deutschland, baby. (The result of having German class during the 2006 World Cup). They're due for it in 2010.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
Germany won't win, italy, spain, brazil will.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard