Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
completely out of the blue question.

If there's any mathematicians/physicists out there, how important do you think computational science (and matrix computations) will be for a future career? currently tossing up whether to do these courses, as, well, it's not like i have space and i have other courses which look really interesting.

i'm told they are kinda important though...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
Heavily used in DSP and DIP.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
I'm going to say pretty important, at least as important as anything else you take in school. I'm taking a matrices class now and many of the topics we are learning about are applicable in other areas. So much so that there has even been some significant overlap between my matrices class and my diff eq class. It's a required course for people taking the EE side of ECE, while discrete math is required for the CE side.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I'm going to say pretty important, at least as important as anything else you take in school. I'm taking a matrices class now and many of the topics we are learning about are applicable in other areas. So much so that there has even been some significant overlap between my matrices class and my diff eq class. It's a required course for people taking the EE side of ECE, while discrete math is required for the CE side.
matrix COMPUTATION. so matlab and shit, getting the determinants 400x400 matrices or something.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Flaming_Maniac
You need to have a basic idea of how the program works to use it.

Our book is designed to be used in conjunction with matlab, we don't but it's the same stuff. I mean they aren't going to just teach you how to enter data, you'll be looking into ways to accelerate the process. One of the many subjects we've been learning.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6752|Chicago.
I'd say it's very important. Furthering the technology and application of computational programs is only going to help us out.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You need to have a basic idea of how the program works to use it.

Our book is designed to be used in conjunction with matlab, we don't but it's the same stuff. I mean they aren't going to just teach you how to enter data, you'll be looking into ways to accelerate the process. One of the many subjects we've been learning.
This is correct. Efficiency is the most important thing. The more people you have furthering something, to a point, the more it will expand. You'll be finding ways to make things work better. And that's useful, well, pretty much everywhere.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK
The only matrices stuff i learnt was how to do translations in 3d for programming.
BVC
+325|6696
^ What Vilham said.  They're essential for 3D graphics programming.

Incidently, 3D graphics may become relevent to the web in a few years - 3D stuff is part of a proposal for the CSS3 spec.
Spark
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
...and exactly how useful will they be in a career for someone doing almost nothing but pure maths and physics?
~ Richard Feynman
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال

Spark wrote:

...and exactly how useful will they be in a career for someone doing almost nothing but pure maths and physics?
I dont understand the Q
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Flaming_Maniac
How will they not be useful...matrix representations of linear approximations of models are pervasive throughout physics particularly...sure there is a chance that you will avoid them completely, but you could say that about most of the classes you take. If you do end up working with them, the class will pay serious dividends.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Depends on what your future career is in really.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
BVC
+325|6696

Spark wrote:

I've no idea, though I imagine they would be quite useful.  There were a selection of math papers at my uni which all had essentially the same paper (different timetables/semesters so different course codes) and included matrix operations.  You had to have one of these papers under your belt before you could major in maths, physics or engineering, so I assume its important.

Disclaimer: I work in IT, not anything maths-intensive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard