Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
eh I thought 27 because the force on the right pushing it left + reaction from the force from the block on the left. I am stunned I can't answer that question.
Sheen1101
+12|6612
Use the Chain Rule to find dz/dt. (answer only in terms of t.)
z = tan-1(y/x), x = et, y = 4 - e-t

I need help with this problem....I worked it out but the answer is incorrect..
tan(z) = y/x
tan(z) = (4-et)/et
tan(z) = 4e-t-e-2t
sec2(z)dz/dt = 2e-2t-4e-t
dz/dt = cos2(x)(2e-2t-4e-t)

Last edited by Sheen1101 (2010-02-22 19:20:47)

Flaming_Maniac
You didn't actually use the chain rule...when you sub in for y and x, that means when you take the derivative there is also a dy/dt and dx/dt term respectively.

My own question: if an inductor and a capacitor are in series over a long time with a source, there is still no current right?
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6122|Carnoustie MASSIF

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

My own question: if an inductor and a capacitor are in series over a long time with a source, there is still no current right?
Ask Freezer
Flaming_Maniac
I gather from a class example that I am correct, but this circuit is just wonky. I am trying to get the equation of current over time for a critically damped LRC circuit that initially and finally as a current of 0, but the energy stored in the cap still has to be accounted for...I have all the equations sitting in front of me that seem to work out to i(t) = 0, but that can't be right...
Sheen1101
+12|6612

Sheen1101 wrote:

tan(z) = y/x
tan(z) = (4-et)/et
tan(z) = 4e-t-e-2t

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You didn't actually use the chain rule...when you sub in for y and x, that means when you take the derivative there is also a dy/dt and dx/dt term respectively.

Okay so I redid the work and still got the wrong answer, what am I doing wrong?:

dz/dt = (1/1+(y/x)2)(-y/x2)et+(1/1+(y/x)2)(1/x)e-t

dz/dt = (-y/(x2+y2))et+ (x/(x2+y2))e-t

dz/dt = (-e-t(e2ty-x))/ (x2+y2)
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5953|Places 'n such

Sheen1101 wrote:

Sheen1101 wrote:

tan(z) = y/x
tan(z) = (4-et)/et
tan(z) = 4e-t-e-2t

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Okay so I redid the work and still got the wrong answer, what am I doing wrong?:

Surely for something that's being divided you should use the quotient rule?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Amdi Peter
peut-ĂȘtre
+111|5540|paris
Reduce (a+b)2-2a(a+b)

The result I got was a2+b2-2aa-2ab

Looks wrong to me though (and yes, this is probably really easy to you guys, but I'm not that good at math).

I am doing something wrong, right? And if yes, what?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas
a2 + 2ab + b2 - 2a2 -2ab

reduce

b2 - a2

Last edited by Bevo (2010-02-24 08:11:37)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6624

Amdi Peter wrote:

Reduce (a+b)2-2a(a+b)

The result I got was a2+b2-2aa-2ab

Looks wrong to me though (and yes, this is probably really easy to you guys, but I'm not that good at math).

I am doing something wrong, right? And if yes, what?
(a+b)2-2a(a+b)

for the first bit you want to use foil

https://mathdepartment.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/foilandfactoring_1.jpeg

so  (a+b)2

becomes (a+b) (a+b)

then you follow the diagram above, the second part is self explanatory
Flaming_Maniac

Sheen1101 wrote:

Sheen1101 wrote:

tan(z) = y/x
tan(z) = (4-et)/et
tan(z) = 4e-t-e-2t

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't know what you did on the second line...

Write out dz/dt, dx/dt, dy/dt. Then plug in the values first to z (like you did the first time) just remember that when you take the derivative, there is a dy or a dx after those specific parts. Then plug in.
Amdi Peter
peut-ĂȘtre
+111|5540|paris
Thanks for the help, I think I got it in the end.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas
physics is raping me

anyone fluent?
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6228|Uk

Bevo wrote:

physics is raping me

anyone fluent?
i take a massive interest in physics but i think your level is above me
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas

mkxiii wrote:

Bevo wrote:

physics is raping me

anyone fluent?
angular velocity and acceleration confuses the shit out of me

statics good, dynamics bad.
Arc
silly one-liner
+24|6451|Ontario

Bevo wrote:

physics is raping me

anyone fluent?
I find the worst part about physics is that many physicists are poor public speakers so its difficult to get a good professor/lecturer.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas

Arc wrote:

Bevo wrote:

physics is raping me

anyone fluent?
I find the worst part about physics is that many physicists are poor public speakers so its difficult to get a good professor/lecturer.
while my prof is a terrible speaker, i wouldnt mind if he would teach stuff related to the homework we do

i have to look up pretty much everything in this stupid book which isnt detailed enough to account for "what ifs"
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6394|dm_maidenhead
yeah, i do physics and none of the lectures help with our problems

pretty much everyone has to copy off the cleverest person they know
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

Dont you have tutorials?
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6394|dm_maidenhead

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Dont you have tutorials?
nope
my tutor thought we were getting a different tutor this semester so never turns up

even though everyone keeps the same one.

I have emailed him but he is away atm and will see me on the 9th march
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL

Bevo wrote:

mkxiii wrote:

Bevo wrote:

physics is raping me

anyone fluent?
angular velocity and acceleration confuses the shit out of me

statics good, dynamics bad.
What exactly do you need help in?  I'm not an angular dynamics pro, but I did get through the kinetics course with a B, that's gotta be good for something.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas
i've got a "racecar" on a raised curve problem, where I have to find the max velocity it can achieve without slipping outwards. There's friction involved too. No idea how to set it up -the book has a similar problem, but it includes no friction and therefore confuses me. I don't know at which point to include friction in the calculations, or if I should include the x component of the mg, or if that's nullified by centripedal acceleration...

also got a block at rest in the middle of a turntable, and given a friction and angular acceleration, want to know at what point it falls off the table. again no idea how to deal with angular anything because it was never taught anywhere
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL

Bevo wrote:

i've got a "racecar" on a raised curve problem, where I have to find the max velocity it can achieve without slipping outwards. There's friction involved too. No idea how to set it up -the book has a similar problem, but it includes no friction and therefore confuses me. I don't know at which point to include friction in the calculations, or if I should include the x component of the mg, or if that's nullified by centripedal acceleration...

also got a block at rest in the middle of a turntable, and given a friction and angular acceleration, want to know at what point it falls off the table. again no idea how to deal with angular anything because it was never taught anywhere
Angular stuff is the same, all the same equations, just with radians/second instead of meters/second.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas

S.Lythberg wrote:

Bevo wrote:

Angular stuff is the same, all the same equations, just with radians/second instead of meters/second.
I misread the turntable problem, the mass is some distance from the center and we're supposed to find the time it takes for it to start moving

we don't get a mass though, which is confusing...
Flaming_Maniac
moment of inertia = mass

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard