Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6325

AussieReaper wrote:

What a stupid thing to get into a fight over.

When your girlfriend recommends you watch a romcom, you shut up and watch it. Then lie through your teeth about how great it was and how it really moved you.

Instead you said it sucks and got put in the dog house. GG
Meh, I'd rather be honest with her and judge her reaction. If she gets upset at me for voicing my opinion for her crap movie then I'd tell her to piss off and find a gay guy to cry and watch movies with.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5699|College Park, MD
I think Soul Plane is a better movie. At least it just perpetuates stereotypes, instead of telling women it's okay to cheat.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Wreckognize
+294|6482
Fuck the Notebook if you want to get lai ude

https://www.blurayfreak.com/images/2007/06/05/bluray_movie_purple_rain.jpg

Plus you get to see Prince hit a woman.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6707|Charlie One Alpha

Mr.Dooomed wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

What a stupid thing to get into a fight over.

When your girlfriend recommends you watch a romcom, you shut up and watch it. Then lie through your teeth about how great it was and how it really moved you.

Instead you said it sucks and got put in the dog house. GG
Meh, I'd rather be honest with her and judge her reaction. If she gets upset at me for voicing my opinion for her crap movie then I'd tell her to piss off and find a gay guy to cry and watch movies with.
Yeah. This is what my instincts tell me.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH
Has anyone here seen the film and what is your opinion on how it portrays romance and "true love"?
You must of missed a part of the movie where the mom 'fess up to her daughter she was in love with another man but settled with her father because he was a better provider and a decent person but lousy in the sack. The mom was pushing the daughter to forget about her true love/soul mate and go with the better provider aka the meal ticket but the daughter decided to go with the true love. The movie was decent and Rachel McAdam looked pretty hot in it.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5541|Toronto
At the end of the movie I realized how badly the writer messed up. It should have been the guy she cheated on, the businessman, who read her the story and wasted his life.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6470|Kakanien
actually, i liked this movie

*flameproof vest mode on*
Wreckognize
+294|6482

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Your man card has been revoked.  In accordance with Man Law, I hereby confer you the title of manbitch.
baggs
+732|6202

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

you're not with your gay mates now, bro.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6707|Charlie One Alpha

Pochsy wrote:

At the end of the movie I realized how badly the writer messed up. It should have been the guy she cheated on, the businessman, who read her the story and wasted his life.
Actually that would have been pretty kickass.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6523|South Florida

Wreckognize wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Your man card has been revoked.  In accordance with Man Law, I hereby confer you the title of manbitch.
seconded. mods please change name to manbitch. or ill happily make up a userbar if you agree to force it apon him for a said period of time
15 more years! 15 more years!
Lai
+186|6148

LaidBackNinja wrote:

So. My girlfriend recently watched The Notebook and absolutely loved it. She told me to watch it. I watched it and thought it was disgusting. We had a pretty huge fight over it, but that's not the point.

Has anyone here seen the film and what is your opinion on how it portrays romance and "true love"?
I personally hate it because it paints a completely unrealistic and unfair picture of men. If women believe that real love should be like this all men are screwed. The film basically teaches women that it is okay to cheat on your fiancée (who isn't even a wifebeater or anything but a really great guy) and bone your ex-summer love boyfriend who you only dated for a couple of weeks and has somehow become "the one".

EDIT: this guy pretty much says it all IMO:

http://www.workingauthor.com/romcoms-an … love-lives
You just didn't understand the movie, because you were watching it from a distinct male biased perspective. You are judging the characters in the movie by typical Old-World European patriarchal standards. You're emphasis on reason is only valid in this male dominated framework. Different rules apply to different genders:

Man cheats on girlfriend = cunt
Man prefers hot chick over dedicated stable girl = immature
Man ignores advice from parents/friends = stubborn
Man is unsure about his feelings = wussy
Man is unreasonable = egocentric
Man decides actions based on personal feelings = inconsiderate selfish pig

Woman cheats on girlfriend = true love
Woman prefers dodgy stallion over dedicated stable guy = true love
Woman ignores advice from parents/friends = true love
Woman is unsure about her feelings = confused, needs to be given time to find true love
Woman is unreasonable = intuition
Woman decides actions based on personal feelings = true love
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5541|Toronto

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Actually that would have been pretty kickass.
Haggard to the max. Imagine what it would do to all of the female perceptions of 'following your heart' and finding 'true love'. It would have made the movie 100x more dynamic. The cut and dry depiction of love in the film would have been shattered as you see what true dedication is- even after the bitch cheats she still has him loyal as ever until he dies, without any return. Is that loyalty and 'true love' worth sacrificing for a fling with some poor douche? Or is it those flings and intense moments of passion that define 'true love'.

So much wasted potential in this film. Fucking sickening.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK
i cant beleive you tools watched it.

seriously which bloke wants to watch a movie called the notebook unless he is forced to by the bitch.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5541|Toronto

m3thod wrote:

seriously which bloke wants to watch a movie called the notebook unless he is forced to by the bitch.
Not only did I watch it, I considered the implications of it. Which are non-existent, as I noted above.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

m3thod wrote:

I had to watch it in high school.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5929|CA
Awesome film.  You haters don't like it because you haven't seen the extended director's cut on BluRay while getting head from some rough trick named Mitch.  Try it.
Lai
+186|6148

Pochsy wrote:

The cut and dry depiction of love in the film would have been shattered as you see what true dedication is- even after the bitch cheats she still has him loyal as ever until he dies, without any return. Is that loyalty and 'true love' worth sacrificing for a fling with some poor douche? Or is it those flings and intense moments of passion that define 'true love'.
No, chicks can't handle that, they would simply go in denial and boycott the movie en masse.

m3thod wrote:

I thought it was about the FSB trying to recover a stolen laptop with a secret list on it or something XD

Spoiler (highlight to read):
No seriously, I didn't watch it and now am not going to either!

Last edited by Lai (2010-02-06 01:52:39)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6436|King Of The Islands

Wreckognize wrote:

Fuck the Notebook if you want to get lai ude

http://www.blurayfreak.com/images/2007/ … e_rain.jpg

Plus you get to see Prince hit a woman.
Some stay short and others feel the pain.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Home
Section.80
+447|6845|Seattle, Washington, USA

LaidBackNinja wrote:

The film basically teaches women that it is okay to cheat on your fiancée (who isn't even a wifebeater or anything but a really great guy) and bone your ex-summer love boyfriend who you only dated for a couple of weeks and has somehow become "the one".
Haha this is exactly what I said to my gf after we watched it. It's supposed to be all soft and tender but let's face it, the girl left a loving and providing husband to go fuck her first summer fling. Garbage. I was even more ashamed to learn that the person who wrote the book "The Notebook" was a "man."
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH

Home wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

The film basically teaches women that it is okay to cheat on your fiancée (who isn't even a wifebeater or anything but a really great guy) and bone your ex-summer love boyfriend who you only dated for a couple of weeks and has somehow become "the one".
Haha this is exactly what I said to my gf after we watched it. It's supposed to be all soft and tender but let's face it, the girl left a loving and providing husband to go fuck her first summer fling. Garbage. I was even more ashamed to learn that the person who wrote the book "The Notebook" was a "man."
You sound like my ex...marry for money. Her situation was be married with a wealthy guy and goood provider and be miserable like her mother or marry some one who makes her happy even though he is a poor sap. She took her chances, in a world of insecurities, and went with the man she truly loved even though he is not established. I was forced to watch this with my GF but have to admit it was decent to watch.
Home
Section.80
+447|6845|Seattle, Washington, USA

loubot wrote:

Home wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

You sound like my ex...marry for money. Her situation was be married with a wealthy guy and goood provider and be miserable like her mother or marry some one who makes her happy even though he is a poor sap. She took her chances, in a world of insecurities, and went with the man she truly loved even though he is not established. I was forced to watch this with my GF but have to admit it was decent to watch.
Nah that's not what I'm saying. Hell, if that's what I was saying I definitely wouldn't have a gf to watch it with. Notice I said a loving and providing husband. He loved her in the movie, it's not like he just ignored her and bought her things. By providing I wasn't referring to money, just care in general. Regardless of how happy the poor guy made her, and regardless of each man's financial situation, she was married to the rich guy. It's not cool to cheat on the person you're married to.
bennisboy
+829|6644|Poundland
I refuse to watch that shit
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6576|Columbus, OH

Home wrote:

loubot wrote:

Home wrote:

Nah that's not what I'm saying. Hell, if that's what I was saying I definitely wouldn't have a gf to watch it with. Notice I said a loving and providing husband. He loved her in the movie, it's not like he just ignored her and bought her things. By providing I wasn't referring to money, just care in general. Regardless of how happy the poor guy made her, and regardless of each man's financial situation, she was married to the rich guy. It's not cool to cheat on the person you're married to.
I am pretty sure they were only engaged. Regardless, she grew up in a decent home and nice upbringing but on a person level there was somethng missing. The pivotal point in the movie was her mother's confession about her feelings about her father and the true love of her life whom she gaved up. Her mom half heartedly encourages her to marry her fiancé for the same reason what you have said, but the daughter apparently did not want to make the same mistake as her mother. Fook never thought I would be talking about the Notebook /wrists
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

loubot wrote:

Home wrote:

loubot wrote:

I am pretty sure they were only engaged. Regardless, she grew up in a decent home and nice upbringing but on a person level there was somethng missing. The pivotal point in the movie was her mother's confession about her feelings about her father and the true love of her life whom she gaved up. Her mom half heartedly encourages her to marry her fiancé for the same reason what you have said, but the daughter apparently did not want to make the same mistake as her mother. Fook never thought I would be talking about the Notebook /wrists
Male version of The Notebook.
Guy with loyal girlfriend who does everything for him.  Loving and caring, beautiful and sophisticated, but doesn't BJ.   Leaves for hot girl who BJ's.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard