Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6741|Reality
because the bankers in the US are still getting their bonuses, the others guys dont
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6437|King Of The Islands

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Probably has something to do with this:
Individuals with conservative ideologies are happier than liberal-leaners, and new research pinpoints the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.

Regardless of marital status, income or church attendance, right-wing individuals reported greater life satisfaction and well-being than left-wingers, the new study found. Conservatives also scored highest on measures of rationalization, which gauge a person's tendency to justify, or explain away, inequalities.

The rationalization measure included statements such as: "It is not really that big a problem if some people have more of a chance in life than others," and "This country would be better off if we worried less about how equal people are."

To justify economic inequalities, a person could support the idea of meritocracy, in which people supposedly move up their economic status in society based on hard work and good performance. In that way, one's social class attainment, whether upper, middle or lower, would be perceived as totally fair and justified.

If your beliefs don't justify gaps in status, you could be left frustrated and disheartened, according to the researchers, Jaime Napier and John Jost of New York University. They conducted a U.S.-centric survey and a more internationally focused one to arrive at the findings.

"Our research suggests that inequality takes a greater psychological toll on liberals than on conservatives," the researchers write in the June issue of the journal Psychological Science, "apparently because liberals lack ideological rationalizations that would help them frame inequality in a positive (or at least neutral) light."

The results support and further explain a Pew Research Center survey from 2006, in which 47 percent of conservative Republicans in the U.S. described themselves as "very happy," while only 28 percent of liberal Democrats indicated such cheer.

The same rationalizing phenomena could apply to personal situations as well.

"There is no reason to think that the effects we have identified here are unique to economic forms of inequality," the researchers write. "Research suggests that highly egalitarian women are less happy in their marriages compared with their more traditional counterparts, apparently because they are more troubled by disparities in domestic labor."

The current study was funded by the National Science Foundation.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24502967
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL
We kill each other instead.

America's "happiness" ranking is very low among developed nations, we're overworked, underpaid, and generally miserable.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
Statistics are important and extremely relevant to how I live my life.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

S.Lythberg wrote:

America's "happiness" ranking is very low among developed nations, we're overworked, underpaid, and generally miserable.
I'm happy
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Statistics are important and extremely relevant to how I live my life.
stats r life

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-01-30 21:32:26)

SealXo
+309|6534
those countries have shitty seasons and long winters get depressing
inb430daysofnight
/endthread

Last edited by SealXo (2010-01-30 21:33:55)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Individuals with conservative ideologies are happier than liberal-leaners, and new research pinpoints the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.
Fat, dumb and happy syndrome.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You gotta admit though, the happy part must be nice...  (not so much the other two).

On a totally unrelated note, The Saturdays covered a Depeche Mode song?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

You gotta admit though, the happy part must be nice...  (not so much the other two).

On a totally unrelated note, The Saturdays covered a Depeche Mode song?
Covered one, used another as background.

But yes, if you're ignorant about how tenuous your fortunate position is, and don't give a shit about anyone elses situation its easy to be happy.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

JohnG@lt wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

I'm happy
Me too

But the people who took the easy way out when they were younger are now (unsurprisingly) unfulfilled later in life.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
Instead of guns, you get stabbings instead with Aus and UK.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6220|teh FIN-land

Dilbert_X wrote:

But yes, if you're ignorant about how tenuous your fortunate position is, and don't give a shit about anyone elses situation its easy to be happy.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US
Well, half of those factor into the suicide rate anyway...

I think a lot of it is due to what things make people happy.  Do you feel happier making a ton of money, living in a functioning family, doing meaningful work, or having a cool hobby?  Maybe some societies' priorities line up better with what they are successful at doing.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5748|شمال

S.Lythberg wrote:

[
lol
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I don't know about that - ignorance is bliss....

Cybargs wrote:

Instead of guns, you get stabbings instead with Aus and UK.
Can't speak for Aus, but the UK still has significantly lower per capita knife crime rates than the US.

Gun crime in the US is a far higher proportion of homicides - but the differences in the figures are immense. Knife crime in the UK is supposedly a youth phenomenon. Lets look at the homicide figures for the US, UK, France and Germany - for the US the rate is 11/100000, in the UK it is 0.9, in Germany 0.8 and in France 0.6. That's a vast difference. (Latin America averages 36 and Africa 17 BTW)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-01-31 03:51:55)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
And why is it higher than Zimbabwe? And who the fuck ever said it was 'shitty'?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2010-01-31 03:54:30)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

Did you notice it is lowest for countries in the Middle East...?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

Bertster7 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Did you notice it is lowest for countries in the Middle East...?
religion of peace
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well apparently Mexicans are twice as happy as Americans.
Thread fails.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thread fails.
personally i'd be happy on a diet of burritos and tequila
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6536|Long Island, New York

FatherTed wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thread fails.
personally i'd be happy on a diet of burritos and tequila
and bullets
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
is new jersey really as bad as everyone says it is

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard