Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
Okay I listened to wreckognize'd post by basically listening to one track from each album. i'm relying on you guys to tell me if i picked a bad track because i honestly have no idea. all i know is what sounds interesting. And I might not even be picking from the right album, I'm just going on youtube videos

mtb0minime wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

Justice -  †.  Meh
Listened to Master of Puppets - sorry, gotta agree with mtb here, very bland

Chequerboard - Gothica
Listened to "Konichiwa". Sounds interesting, nice bit of layering.

µ-Ziq - Lunatic Harness yes
Interesting, because it's a bit more unharmonic, more arrhythmic (which was sort of what I expected from good electronic).

I'll keep cracking on tomorrow, but have I missed the point? I'm listening and judging these songs in basically the same way I judge a rock/post-rock/classical song, based on control of melody, control of harmony, subtlety and layering etc - basically built up from classical music theory. Something is telling me this is completely the wrong way to approach good electronic music (I'm shying away from "mainstream" club electronica etc. because I find that a tad dull and predictable... wow, a bass drop, fucking special - I want to hear something a bit weird, a bit off-center in this genre, else I'd just go back to rock)

Kinda like what uzique was saying about glitch/noise etc how I wouldn't "get" it (all I know about glitch is the fragments of it on kid a, I have no idea how good a representation of the subgenre it is). How does one "get" electronica?

The Similar Artists tool on last.fm is a gold mine.
Except one must have artists in one's library to find artists that are similar to said artist... if you get my drift
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6748|Toronto | Canada

mtb0minime wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

Justice -  †.  Meh
Justice is

I'm so disappointed I missed them when they were here last year
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6742|St. Andrews / Oslo

Spark wrote:

The Similar Artists tool on last.fm is a gold mine.
Except one must have artists in one's library to find artists that are similar to said artist... if you get my drift
no you don't - just go to the artist's last.fm page and it lists similar artists..
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6664

In listening to electronic music, it's all about subtlety, or at least the stuff I'm into. I would say it's safe to judge the more popular stuff (like Justice for example) the same way you would judge a rock or pop album.

But for IDM, or even trance, it's all about subtlety. Just sit back and let your brain dance. Note how the different percussion instruments/tracks play off each other, how the melodic synths play off each other and complement one another. Note how in the background there is something small going on that eventually gets bigger later on.

If you're going to listen to this stuff and want to get the most out of it, it's not something that you can just leave on in the background while you do other stuff. You absolutely must put on some headphones and just sit there and listen and that's it. Focus on the music and you'll notice a lot of cool stuff. Also, it's important not to skip around in the tracks. Put one on, and play it all the way through. The builds and breaks are even more emphasized and important when compared to the rest of the song. I've found that if I skip ahead to a major breakdown or sweet melody, I don't enjoy it as much whereas if I had just started from the beginning, it becomes all the more epic/uplifting/whatever. Same applies to a lot of these songs. You can skip around in the track and find that they sound the same for all 9 minutes or whatever, but if you listen to the entire thing all the way through, the subtleties and differences present themselves.

I highly recommend you give these 6 tracks a listen. Just do it, you won't regret it

repetitive, but subtle and ever-changing

best to listen to if you have the actual CD and not a crappy youtube-quality-esque version, but turn up the volume and just chill out, this is one of my favorites

probably the most melodic of the bunch (reminds me of u-ziq's "Hasty Boom Alert" on Lunatic Harness; here

incredible track that starts off with pumping machine beats and then moves into total ambiance, more of the percussion and synthesizers that complement each other

again, more harmonies and melodies going on, a lot of complementary stuff

not as melodic, more chill and ambient
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
I listened to the first three and I like what I hear. A lot.

I'll explain why a bit later.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS
okay, i got

autechre - amber
and
aphex twin - selected ambient works II

the first is really nice, like that a lot. the second I need to listen to much more, i don't really know what to think of it yet. it definitely caught me by surprise.

Last edited by Spark (2010-01-15 03:44:27)

~ Richard Feynman
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6605|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
someone mind posting some good dub step djs for me? i need some good stuff to listen to while baked.
aimless
+166|6135|Texas

seymorebutts443 wrote:

someone mind posting some good dub step djs for me? i need some good stuff to listen to while baked.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 8#p2933408

and

2562 - Kontrol
16 Bit - Classical
Stenchman - Lil' Somethin' 4 Ya
Pinch - Qawwali
and anything by Loefah.

Or if you're looking for actual mixes by DJs:

Excision - Shambhala (2008)
Distinction - Grim Up North Vol.6
Joe Nice - The Mala Tribute (you can download it from sendspace)
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
i wish i had the effort to post in this thread constructively but right now it's a mountain i cannot climb
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Uzique wrote:

i wish i had the effort to post in this thread constructively but right now it's a mountain i cannot climb
poor you
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
poor essays
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Uzique wrote:

poor essays
fair enough
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
hell just take the easy option and do what lucien does and clone my last.fm charts if you want the extensive guide to electronica-awesomeness

amirite
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5760|شمال

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bonobo
Very nice!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
fuck it im gonna get productive and write a new electronic review this weekend for my site and the local arts magazine.

tired of not being constructive with all my energy and interest for music; have been lazy and just skidding along doing the bare-minimum amount of work for the last 3 months. need to kick myself up the ass and get the creative juices and writer's pen moving again. i don't care if any of you take interest or appreciate the review or whatever i recommend... just read it and give it a try, yeah, it's what the fun and this forum is all about. ch-yeah.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard