GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6121|Tampa, Florida
Joined my 24 hour gym after having to quit MMA between work and school. I feel that I've gotten a lot stronger in about 1 month and a half, but I feel like I need to start following a program if I really want to see some good results. I currently weight 152, and my chest is pretty weak.

Bench: 125lbs x20
Pullups: 12 reps
Legpress: 360lbs x 10
Calf press: 360lbs. x 40
Curl: 25lbs. x 20
Fly:15lbs. x 14
Shrug: 40lbs x 5
Seated cable cruches: 65lbs x 20 (each side, straight down, left, right)
Captains Chair: 25 reps
1stSFOD-Delta
Mike "The Spooge Gobbler" Morales
+376|5985|Blue Mountain State
200 push ups a day
100 sit ups a day
2 miles every other day

/profit
https://www.itwirx.com/other/hksignature.jpg

Baba Booey
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6678|UK
You run 2 miles?! Christ, I walk that distance to the gym.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
1stSFOD-Delta
yep. about a year ago i couldn't even run around the block

Baba Booey
m3thod
+2,197|6678|UK
obese or medical?
1stSFOD-Delta
lazy fat fuck. now i'm all sexed up for the army

Baba Booey
Hakei
Banned
+295|6002

SonderKommando wrote:

Hakei wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Well I'm up to 205lbs... current stats:
Bench Max 335lbs
Deadlift Max 455lbs
Squat Max 350lbs
Im seriously considering doing a bodybuilding comp.....
I'm suprised there's so much weight difference between your squat and deadlift max. I've never had a deviation of more than 10 kilos between the two throughout the last year of training and my squat has always been slightly better than my deadlift. Are you sure you're doing both correctly?
Well for one I squat properly. Deep low squats, to about 60 degrees.. Also, these aren't straight leg deads, more of a back thing than legs.
Well yes, a deadlift is supposed to take a good chunk of power from your back and it does wonders for your lower muscles and gluts. Still, explosive leg power is what really seals the deal when deadlifting. I think you should try squatting again - your stats are weird :p
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6666|The darkside of Denver

Hakei wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Hakei wrote:

I'm suprised there's so much weight difference between your squat and deadlift max. I've never had a deviation of more than 10 kilos between the two throughout the last year of training and my squat has always been slighly better than my deadlift. Are you sure you're doing both correctly?
Well for one I squat properly. Deep low squats, to about 60 degrees.. Also, these aren't straight leg deads, more of a back thing than legs.
Well yes, a deadlift is supposed to take a good chunk of power from your back and it does wonders for your lower muscles and gluts. Still, explosive leg power is what really seals the deal when deadlifting. I think you should try squatting again - your stats are weird :p
I neglected my legs for awhile. They've got catching up to do. You realize there are different types of deads right? The stat I posted is primariy a lower back exercise. Also, again my squats are very low, like ass to the floor low.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-01-06 20:19:12)

Hakei
Banned
+295|6002
Well yeah, there are a heap of variations but if you're posting your 1 RM shouldn't it be a reflection of the vanilla format?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

GorillaKing798 wrote:

Joined my 24 hour gym after having to quit MMA between work and school. I feel that I've gotten a lot stronger in about 1 month and a half, but I feel like I need to start following a program if I really want to see some good results. I currently weight 152, and my chest is pretty weak.

Bench: 125lbs x20
Pullups: 12 reps
Legpress: 360lbs x 10
Calf press: 360lbs. x 40
Curl: 25lbs. x 20
Fly:15lbs. x 14
Shrug: 40lbs x 5
Seated cable cruches: 65lbs x 20 (each side, straight down, left, right)
Captains Chair: 25 reps
You're going to profit more if you do less repetitions and take your time over some to concentrate on the movement and tensing of the muscle.

I advise you do your curls very slowly - make SURE you alternate - and do 5 each arm. So 1 left, 1 right and so on. Then rest for 10-25 seconds, pick them up again, and repeat. Feeling the strain on the muscles. You'll struggle to begin with, but it's the best way to increase muscle strength in your biceps. Doing 20 straight and then stopping isn't the most productive way of doing it. Feel the burn, go totally red in the face, that's what you should feel after 3 sets of 5 each in the arm (I'm going by this from the weight you're using - I curl 10 each arm for 3 sets at 45lbs).

This same moetod applies for your calf press, your shrug and your bench.

Rinse and repeat SLOWLY is the key. Don't power through them. Irishpride did that and if you saw the video, it barely had any effect at all. If you feel you cannot do that with the weights you have now, then you're not doing it right and you have to reduce the weight you use and start over. Slowly bring the 5 on each arm up to 10 -(5 on each arm isn't very beneficial, but it's fine for you to start with) and then increase the weight. If you feel you can't cope, continue with the same weight or go down one, and then start up again.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK
yeah the one thing the guys at the gym were telling me is do all the reps really slow, its a hell of a lot harder and therefore works your muscle more.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6372|California

Vilham wrote:

yeah the one thing the guys at the gym were telling me is do all the reps really slow, its a hell of a lot harder and therefore works your muscle more.
yep, do all your reps at a slower pace that way you can feel it
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Vilham wrote:

Yeah, they are totally correct. Also, keep an eye for in the gym for the guys that are doing curls with an EZ bar or something that are moving their elbows. They're not doing it right, but I'm sure they think they're hardcore. Pinned elbows, only movement should be your arm lifting upwards.

It's actually even more important to release the muscle slowly. Reaching the top with a curl can be done at a decent pace if you do it properly and feel the muscle tense, but it's when you put the weight back down to rest position that it really matters. It releases the muscle from tension, but if you do it quickly, you don't build a tolerance to the weight and you have no control over it. It should be a very slow movement downards, releasing the tension bit by bit. The guys that let the dumbbells drop by their sides are just stupid.
baggs
+732|6211

Zimmer wrote:

for in the gym for the guys that are doing curls with an EZ bar or something that are moving their elbows. They're not doing it right, but I'm sure they think they're hardcore. Pinned elbows, only movement should be your arm lifting upwards.
Yeah this, make sure you use a preacher curl bench, all good gyms will have one.
SonderKommando

baggs wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

for in the gym for the guys that are doing curls with an EZ bar or something that are moving their elbows. They're not doing it right, but I'm sure they think they're hardcore. Pinned elbows, only movement should be your arm lifting upwards.
Yeah this, make sure you use a preacher curl bench, all good gyms will have one.
Seated preacher curls w/ EZ bar is win.. Also watch for dudes using their backs to gain momentum when doing just about anything, lol.  Everyone is guilty of cheating on form once and awhile.  We should have a forum body building comp, lol.  Karma says i beat all you nukka's.
m3thod
+2,197|6678|UK

SonderKommando wrote:

baggs wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Seated preacher curls w/ EZ bar is win.. Also watch for dudes using their backs to gain momentum when doing just about anything, lol.  Everyone is guilty of cheating on form once and awhile.  We should have a forum body building comp, lol.  Karma says i beat all you nukka's.
Yea but you're roided up, that means you're automatically disqualified.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK

SonderKommando wrote:

baggs wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

yeah i see a lot of people taking large weights and then swinging their arms using their back and thinking "they're hardcore".

to keep my elbow steady i rest it on the inside of my thigh, the gym has one of those ez bar things i think but havent tried it yet. trying to equalize my arms out first.

Last edited by Vilham (2010-01-07 06:45:07)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Yeah, EZ bar is real nice, especially for working both the inner and outer biceps with the tight grip and open grip.
I am not on preacher curls right now because I have to work out at home and don't have space to set up my gym yet, but when I do get the space that's the first thing that's going up.
SonderKommando

Vilham wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

baggs wrote:

yeah i see a lot of people taking large weights and then swinging their arms using their back and thinking "they're hardcore".

to keep my elbow steady i rest it on the inside of my thigh, the gym has one of those ez bar things i think but havent tried it yet. trying to equalize my arms out first.
When doing standing dumbell curls I always hold the weights palms in, elbows in close the body,taking a shoulder width stance, then slowly raise the weight up while rotating to palms facing overhand (towards body), then reverse down. Im training arms today BTW. 

LOL method I havent used any REAL gear yet.  Besides all Bodybuilders use gear.... UNLESS They do a natural show.

Also, another great EZ bicep exercise that will isolate your biceps is to set a bench at a 45 degree angle, lay face down on the bench, with your arms straight grasping a narrow grip on the EZ bar slowly curl the EZ bar and weights up.  This can also be done with dumbbells alternate/simultaneous repetitions.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-01-07 07:18:23)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

SonderKommando wrote:

When doing standing dumbell curls I always hold the weights palms in, elbows in close the body,taking a shoulder width stance, then slowly raise the weight up while rotating to palms facing overhand (towards body), then reverse down. Im training arms today BTW. 
Exactly what I do. The rotation allows there to be a greater "bicep tip" created. Doing arms today as well. Planning on putting another 1-2kg on my dumbells today, see how that goes.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5771|Belgium
Wow, this thread is a goldmine of information. Some things I was wondering though.. My (handball) coach said (when working out) for example, when doing a bicep curl to do an 'explosive' curl and then a slow release, as 'explosiveness' is the thing I need the most in my sport. Any comments on this?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Jebus wrote:

Wow, this thread is a goldmine of information. Some things I was wondering though.. My (handball) coach said (when working out) for example, when doing a bicep curl to do an 'explosive' curl and then a slow release, as 'explosiveness' is the thing I need the most in my sport. Any comments on this?
The slower you go, the more you build the size of the muscle. Of course, you still build strength, but it's more effective explosively. The difference is that if you do explosive ones, your muscles learn to cope with fast reactions of heavy weights and become more resistant. For stuff like handball, you want to be doing explosive because it increases power and resistance.

Watch out though, explosive weight training is dangerous and can seriously damage (read: tear, strain, pull, fuck up) your muscles if not done in a controlled environment with weights that you can cope with. Your muscles MUST be warm before you do this sort of lifting, or you are in a position to do some serious serious damage.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5771|Belgium
Right, thanks for those words of caution. I was guessing it would have something to do with 'fast' muscles. I quit handball though, so it doesn't really matter (for me, that is) anymore. I just use the gym to stay in shape now, so I'll certainly give your way a try!

So, from beginning to end - all slow?

I'm not sure if I got this right though..
'The slower you go, the more you build the size of the muscle. Of course, you still build strength, but it's more effective explosively. '
So it's slow for size - explosively for strength (I know I'm saying it right- but you get the point)
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6763|Scotland

Ok, simply clarification:

Body builders (eg - Size) focus on HOW they do their exercises and the feeling of the muscle tensing.
Athletes (eg - Strength) focus on increasing weight gradually and doing less reps.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5771|Belgium
Okay, that I understand, but say I want to get more toned/ripped/whatever (I need a goal anyway) - what would you recommend?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard