CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6122|Carnoustie MASSIF
Me and a couple of mates were discussing this, what would you name as the top ten albums of the last decade? I couldn't choose really, but I could name a few that deserve to be up there.

Silent Alarm by Bloc Party is one, not sure about others.

Suggestions?

Oh, and the biggest selling album of the 'noughties' was Back to Bedlam, by James 'The Cunt' Blunt.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6099|Birmingham, UK
There's alot of albums to pick from, hard choice.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

Er.

Kid A - Radiohead
The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse
Oh, Inverted World - The Shins
Discovery - Daft Punk
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Fleet Foxes
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater
Sleeping With Ghosts - Placebo
Funeral - Arcade Fire
Everywhere and Right Here - The Six Parts Seven
The Campfire Headphase - Boards of Canada
Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
For Emma, Forever Ago - Bon Iver
Alligator - The National
Yellow House - Grizzly Bear
Everything All The Time - Band of Horses
Youth - Matisyahu
Sky Blue Sky - Wilco
Chase This Light - Jimmy Eat World
All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone - Explosions In The Sky
The Midnight Organ Fight - Frightened Rabbit
Paper Trail - T.I.
The '59 Sound - The Gaslight Anthem

Way too many to list. Silent Alarm by Bloc Party is good, but certainly not top 10, or 20.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6624

Zimmer, T.I.?

are you taking the piss?
Wreckognize
+294|6477

Zimmer wrote:

Wasn't YHF by Wilco?

Anyway, in no particular order:

New Kings of Rhythm - Rhythm is King
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Animal Collective - Feels
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Daft Punk - Discovery
Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Emancipator - Soon It Will Be Cold Enough
Wolfgang Frisch - The Hundred
The Flashbulb - Soundtrack to a Vacant Life
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Icebreaker International - Trein Maersk
Saltillo - Ganglion
Dope Stars Inc - Neuromance
Lyrics Born - Same !@#$ Different Day
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Muse - Absolution
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Outkast - Stankonia
RJD2 - Dead Ringer
Aphex Twin - drukqs
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

Wreckognize wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Wasn't YHF by Wilco?
Oh shit lulz, yeah. I have no idea how I got them mixed up.

Would have to agree with Animal Collective.

Gooners, T.I. did a fantastic job of Paper Trail. I am not a rap kind of guy, but under house arrest and coming up with that was impressive. He is good, and Paper Trail showed how good he can be.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
T.I. sucks, there are so many better rap/hip-hop/producers that deserve top10/top20. what about raekwon's OB4CLII?!? far better

some of the above lists are really on the money. especially with the boards of canada/aphex twin shit. and animal collective. not sure im down with the college-hipster nominations by the likes of bon iver, mgmt, fleet foxes etc. those albums got hyped and were huge cool-wagon releases, but to be one of the best musical LP's in top years... ?

geeez im gonna have to think long and hard about this...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

I don't agree with FF, but Bon Iver deserves some credit, I think.

Certainly not MGMT; catchy music, but top10 worthy? Not a chance.

Aphex Twin most definitely.

Actually, throw in Ratatat - Ratatat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Radiohead - Kid A
Del - Deltron 3030
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Definitely make my short list for the decade.  T.I. defiinitely doesn't make it, same with the rest of those lists.  I'm trying to think across all genres but my head is asploding from the concentration.  Those I listed are definite albums of the last decade though.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
three thousand thirty with dan the automator
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Oh yeah I think "Bonobo - Days to Come" is one of the best albums of all time.  Of all time!

Serious.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Radiohead - Kid A
Del - Deltron 3030
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Definitely make my short list for the decade.  T.I. defiinitely doesn't make it, same with the rest of those lists.  I'm trying to think across all genres but my head is asploding from the concentration.  Those I listed are definite albums of the last decade though.
Are you kidding me?

Daft Punk doesn't make it?

Wilco - YHF?

The Campfire Headphase - Boards of Canada?

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips?

Are you really serious? I'm sorry, but from the 4 I listed, one of them deserves to be in the top 10. I don't care which, but one of them does.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6630|Montreal, Qc, Canada
No one has The Eminem Show on his top 10 list?  One of the best albums of the decade tbh.

Last edited by Andoura (2010-01-04 15:15:31)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Nope, Daft Punk doesn't even get consideration.  Boards of Canada, possibly.  Maybe, yeah.  Flaming Lips, nope.  There's better music out there than what reads like a college indie list.  Matisyahu - Youth?  Are you freaking serious?  That wouldn't even cross my mind for Jewish Reggae Album of the Year for 2007 or whenever it came out.  Do you compile these lists or just copy/paste from some stupid artsy wannabe indie e-zine?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Nope, Daft Punk doesn't even get consideration.  Boards of Canada, possibly.  Maybe, yeah.  Flaming Lips, nope.  There's better music out there than what reads like a college indie list.  Matisyahu - Youth?  Are you freaking serious?  That wouldn't even cross my mind for Jewish Reggae Album of the Year for 2007 or whenever it came out.  Do you compile these lists or just copy/paste from some stupid artsy wannabe indie e-zine?
Dude, what the fuck. Since when is Flaming Lips indie? Since when is Daft Punk indie?

Yes, some of the artists are the college indie type that everybody listens to, but most of them aren't.

I was just putting suggestions of the best albums of the noughties, not just the ones that should be in the Top 10.

The fact that you think The Flaming Lips don't deserve to even be considered is just beyond me.
Wreckognize
+294|6477

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Do you compile these lists or just copy/paste from some stupid artsy wannabe indie e-zine?
...coming from someone who listed Radiohead...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

But that was a great album.  I'm not even a bigtime Radiohead (or Animal Collective) fan, but those albums were both amazing.  Got to give credit where credit is due.  Calling Fleet Foxes a greatest of the decade?  Emancipator (youtube hero)?  Jimmy Eat World? The Killers?  Puh-lease.  At least I'm trying to vet my picks (granted it's vetting through a dubious formula that I can't even put down in print due to its inherent complexity and inexplicable nonsensibility) as opposed to going with what I really like.

How you could list Emancipator's album over any other better downtempo from the last 10 years?  Bonobo's Days to Come is levels ahead of Soon it Will be Cold Enough.  Doesn't even compare.

I just thought of another one -

Interpol - Antics
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6607|Kent, UK
I havn't really taken into account the importance of any of these albums, just how much I like them. In a vague order....

Radiohead - Kid A
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois / The Avalanche
Burial - Untrue
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
Bon Iver - For Emma, forever ago
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Broken Social Scene - You forgot it in people
Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
Four Tet - Rounds
Sigur ros - Takk or agaetis ect... hard to decide
Elbow - Leaders of the free world. Don't hate me.

I wanna put Bibio but I think it's too close still to its release.
I recon 'Days to come' is nowhere near as good as m for monkey tbh

And In rainbows prolly be somewhere in there as well.

Interesting - What my most played of the decade are on lastfm:

Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago -WAY ahead
The Avalanches – Since I Left You
Wolf Parade – Apologies to the Queen Mary
The Cinematic Orchestra – Ma Fleur
Flying Lotus – Los Angeles
Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
Burial – Untrue
Radiohead - Kid A
Bibio - Ambivalence avenue
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
The Microphones - The Glow, pt 2 ---below this starts to be not much of a gap. in rainbows. fionn regan. pocket symphony.

Last edited by Fosterthelegend (2010-01-04 17:23:27)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6624

i agree with burial
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

But that was a great album.  I'm not even a bigtime Radiohead (or Animal Collective) fan, but those albums were both amazing.  Got to give credit where credit is due.  Calling Fleet Foxes a greatest of the decade?  Emancipator (youtube hero)?  Jimmy Eat World? The Killers?  Puh-lease.  At least I'm trying to vet my picks (granted it's vetting through a dubious formula that I can't even put down in print due to its inherent complexity and inexplicable nonsensibility) as opposed to going with what I really like.

How you could list Emancipator's album over any other better downtempo from the last 10 years?  Bonobo's Days to Come is levels ahead of Soon it Will be Cold Enough.  Doesn't even compare.

I just thought of another one -

Interpol - Antics
Sometimes you have to think more outside of "musical brilliance" in terms of albums.

And you're not serious about that Interpol album, I hope. I agree with Interpol, but most certainly not Antics... Turn On The Bright Lights was their first and greatest.

I agree with both Burial and Flying Lotus.

You are correct about JEW, FF and The Killers not being the top album of the decade, but The Flaming Lips most certainly are up there. There is no way you can ignore their influence on alt. Rock, experimental and space rock. Yoshimi Battles Pink Robots wasn't their greatest album, but it shows how amazing they are without even topping themselves. Songs like Do You Realize?? and Flight Test secure their position as one of the greatest psychedelic rock bands of all time. Embryonic was equally fantastic, and have you listened to their remake of The Dark Side Of The Moon? It's pure brilliance.

I'm sorry, but if you think Radiohead and Animal Collective deserve to be up there in the top 10, then The Flaming Lips most certainly do. I'm pretty sure most people would agree with me, EVEN if they don't like their music.

Foster - Sigur Ros... Yeah, I guess to some extent... But if any sort of post-rock band deserves to be there it should really be
Godspeed You! Black Emperor with Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven.

In Rainbows is not better than Kid A, though.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

Discussing taste is a waste of time ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6748|Scotland

Varegg wrote:

No, not with this... I believe we can really narrow it down to a top10-20 of the best albums of the decade. This isn't about taste, but more about musical brilliance and the impact the said albums had on the rest of the world. Whether you like it or not.

I don't particularly like Radiohead, but I can see why they SHOULD be in the top10, and why other people think they are so brilliant. I personally don't listen to them a lot, they have some killer songs, but not my style... I still know that they should be in the top10 of the decade. No matter what my taste is.
Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6607|Kent, UK
I do quite like antennas to heaven... but you have to put so much effort into paying attention to the songs that I can never really be bothered...too long for my poor attention span...

As for the flaming lips yes I do think they deserve to be up there, I think I would definitely put them in a top 20 of bands of the decade. However the only one of their albums I know really well is  at war with the mystics; still havn't given yoshimi or embryonic a proper listen.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

Zimmer wrote:

Varegg wrote:

No, not with this... I believe we can really narrow it down to a top10-20 of the best albums of the decade. This isn't about taste, but more about musical brilliance and the impact the said albums had on the rest of the world. Whether you like it or not.

I don't particularly like Radiohead, but I can see why they SHOULD be in the top10, and why other people think they are so brilliant. I personally don't listen to them a lot, they have some killer songs, but not my style... I still know that they should be in the top10 of the decade. No matter what my taste is.
If one of the factors are that they made an impact on the world you can hardly nominate anything from the past decade, it simply isn't original enough ...

So again it would be a matter of taste ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
varegg what are you talking about... nothing in the last 10 years has been 'original' enough?

get a clue. a multitude of new genres and sounds have sprung up in the last 10 years, some of which have remained underground and the coveted pride of the cognoscenti, some of which have broken through into the mainstream sphere and have influenced/poisoned everything from that point forward. music in the 2000's became more weird and experimental than ever, if anything-- some of the noise/drone and lots of the leftfield electronic stuff went far beyond anything that was done before.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-01-05 05:12:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard