Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

H'okay so now that it's out and perhaps some of you have played: What are your impressions?

So far I've played through Dead Center and Dark Carnival and I'm impressed. The experience is incredibly well tailored and it is considerably more challenging that Left 4 Dead 1. My personal favourite bit would probably still be the very first part in Dead Center when you are escaping a burning Hotel; it's very cool. Coming across the Gun store later on was a pretty neat buzz, especially since the game limits your weapons in the early stages. The new creschendo bits work well and can really cause some chaos.

Dark Carnival is great too, no real standout bits aside from maybe the Roller Coaster which on the first runthrough got everyone killed. The finale is quite cool too. There's a number of carnival games that are still operational, my group stopped for a while to use the strength test game and play some whack-a-mole; just pointless but really neat touches.

It does feel like a new experience and I was doubtful. I mean the shooting zombies part is the same but the challenges and the environment just mix things up enough that it doesn't just feel like an add-on to Left 4 Dead 1. The new infected seem to work really well together and especially on some of those new creshendos they can really fuck you around.

I guess the real test is whether this game stands the test of time and obviously I can't theorise as to that. I know it's a better game than Left 4 Dead1, (and not just superficially either.) I'm pretty sure it will take over from Left 4 Dead 1 to a large degree which is a shame. Still, Left 4 Dead 2 is a pretty fun title. IF it was the first Left 4 Dead gae to come out it would be worthy of some considerable excitement, as we've kind of seen a lot of it before in Left 4 Dead 1 and that's toned the hype down a bit. Still, I think this game is very good. I'm not going to say that it's a must play because it depends if you're into the kind of gameplay that Left 4 Dead 1 offered - and it is the same stuff, it's just considerably better. If you're skeptical or think that there's no point after Left 4 Dead 1 but are still kind of interested I'd say it's definitely worth picking up.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i found l4d really bland and uninspiring... got repetitive really fast. please lemme know if l4d2 is genuinely worth the purchase.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas
Yes.

I played about 4-5 hours last night, did campaigns 1 and 3. They were difficult, even with 3 other competent people (friends) all using mics on advanced. It's so much... better than L4D. The details, the maps, the items, the zombies, the specials... everything. It also seems a lot less linear.

Then I played VS... I must say, I thought it would be easier as SI. Me and 2 of my buddies did a playthrough on the swamp, and it was MUCH more fun than the L4D VS. Spitters really do great things against teams that like to hole up, and you can really punish teams that move too quickly or split up with a good smoker, jockey, or charger. It seemed like there were many more medkits (for the other team at least >_>), which gives you the option of moving quick or staying a more slowed but healed pace.

Worth $50? Yes. It is.

Last edited by Bevo (2009-11-17 07:49:31)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623

Bevo wrote:

Then I played VS... I must say, I thought it would be easier as SI. Me and 2 of my buddies did a playthrough on the swamp, and it was MUCH more fun than the L4D VS. Spitters really do great things against teams that like to hole up, and you can really punish teams that move too quickly or split up with a good smoker, jockey, or charger. It seemed like there were many more medkits (for the other team at least >_>), which gives you the option of moving quick or staying a more slowed but healed pace.
The flaws of versus only really become apparent once both teams are decent at it. L4D's versus was great at first , but the better the players get, the more boring it becomes. I doubt L4D2 is really any different in that regard
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

Lucien wrote:

Bevo wrote:

The flaws of versus only really become apparent once both teams are decent at it. L4D's versus was great at first , but the better the players get, the more boring it becomes. I doubt L4D2 is really any different in that regard
There's a plugin you can use on the demo to try it out for yourself.

My point is, there's no "closet strategy" anymore. It's not always find the smallest room, melee and shoot. Do that around a spitter and you'll be incapped before you can say "I hate hospitals". The new SI open up more options to separate, confuse, hassle, and damage the survivors. I was on the receiving end of a good coordinated attack last night, and it was brutal.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Something i've been wondering about ever since extra SI were first mentioned.

How does the infected spawning work? Do you get to choose who you spawn as? Or is it semi-random? In L4D it was simple: If there wasn't a smoker for a period of time you'd be a smoker. Same for boomer. If not you're a hunter.

But now there's 6 playable infected and only 4 players so that can't really work.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Something i've been wondering about ever since extra SI were first mentioned.

How does the infected spawning work? Do you get to choose who you spawn as? Or is it semi-random? In L4D it was simple: If there wasn't a smoker for a period of time you'd be a smoker. Same for boomer. If not you're a hunter.

But now there's 6 playable infected and only 4 players so that can't really work.
It cycles just like L4D.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
So sometimes you'll have no boomer and no smoker at all?

I can see that being incredibly frustrating . You get to the best part of a level to stop the survivors and find you have all the wrong infected for the job...
Stimey
­
+786|6090|Ontario | Canada
It's been SCANNING FOR STEAM GAME UPDATES for the past half hour. >.>
­
­
­
­
­
­
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Apparently a lot of people are.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

disable vsync for no input lag yay
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

So sometimes you'll have no boomer and no smoker at all?

I can see that being incredibly frustrating . You get to the best part of a level to stop the survivors and find you have all the wrong infected for the job...
I find the new infected more useful than the smoker in almost every occasion. Boomers are definitely not uncommon... it works out just fine IMO. Randomization definitely helps strengthen replayability.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Randomization is frustrating most of the time. I guess I'll wait till theprice of this goes down and consider buying it, just like MW2. Judging by the demo it just isn't worth it yet.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Randomization is frustrating most of the time. I guess I'll wait till theprice of this goes down and consider buying it, just like MW2. Judging by the demo it just isn't worth it yet.
Forces teamwork and strategy tbh. Especially with the new "teams" feature, you should be playing with friends...
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Storms in "Hard Rain" = epic.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
Finale for Dead Center is really cool, and different.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

yes quite fun
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

I like it too.

(PS - did you ever fix your mic? Never heard you the whole time...)
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Bevo wrote:

I like it too.

(PS - did you ever fix your mic? Never heard you the whole time...)
he could talk in l4d2 but it was quiet, and he couldn't talk in vent
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

What is dead center's finale?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Grab 15 gas canisters around a multi-floor shopping mall area, and fill a car at the bottom. Once you pick them up (and drop them), they become ignitable. Pretty much never ending SI/horde/tank spawns.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
meh dont think i'll get this. same old, same old. campaigns are fun for a week but the versus mode really doesnt interest me. shame
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Suit yourself.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Uzique wrote:

meh dont think i'll get this. same old, same old. campaigns are fun for a week but the versus mode really doesnt interest me. shame
it's so different though, at least from what i've played.  i can't put a finger on why, but it's actually a challenge for the survivors this time around.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria

Bevo wrote:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Once you pick them up (and drop them), they become ignitable.
I'm pretty sure that Spoiler (highlight to read):
they are ignitable even without touching them. I definitely Spoiler (highlight to read):
blew up a few while spamming the auto-shotty at the horde spawning right next to the canisters.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard