lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Marconius wrote:

lowing wrote:

I see, so terminating a man. Removing his ability to provide food shelter and clothing for his family for wearing a non-offensive button because a company is too scare of offending someone IS NOT "blowing this out of proportion". Pointing it out is. Got it.
Once again (ad nauseum), the content of the button has absolutely Nothing to do with the case.  He broke a rule and refused to comply.  It's his own fault that he cannot provide amenities for his family.  The button being offensive or non-offensive has nothing to do with it.

Your point is still wrong, so I decided to respond to inanity with hilarity. 
No the point that a company sees fit to go to such lengths and implement such ridiculous rules for no other reason than to protect itself from apparently people such as yourself is the the argument. Your insistence that this not be made an issue is nothing more than an avoidance of the truth. This guy lost his job to PC running amok, and company policy influenced by it.

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-30 08:32:23)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

destruktion_6143 wrote:

lowing wrote:

destruktion_6143 wrote:

again, this isnt about what the pin is about, it was about the guy refusing to follow company policy. Fair and simple, big box retail stores have to keep their appearance standardized across all stores, especially since it is an international company. China, Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. stores have to look the same to represent the company. hence the dress code. Why is everyone blowing this out of proportion?
I see, so terminating a man. Removing his ability to provide food shelter and clothing for his family for wearing a non-offensive button because a company is too scare of offending someone IS NOT "blowing this out of proportion". Pointing it out is. Got it.
are you thick or something? IT IS NOT about offending, it is about keeping a consistent image across all stores. Hence the uniform. Companies have dress codes to keep a consistent image across the multiple nations they are located. They gave him the option of removing the non HD pin, and wearing a HD "united we stand" pin. He was fired for not complying with regulation.

You are all for punishing a person, innocent or not, for not complying with a police officer. Same theory here. HD asked him to replace pin with a HD one. Police officer asks a black Harvard professor for his ID. Both refused, both were punished.
I am not disagreeing that he broke company policy. I am arguing that PC is the reason this policy was enacted, That a fear of offending someone for such a benign non-offensive statement has now, in our country become a statement to be feared and loathed. Again 25 years ago this would not have been an issue. The PC of it all is the issue I am raising. The extent companies think they must go to protect themselves is the issue I am raising.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
And my point still remains that you have no point.  I don't care what's on the button, and anything being PC or not, you cannot change the overall feeling of the culture; someone will always be offended by something, and that's been going on for much, Much longer than any PC legislation.  Dress codes aren't generally built around political correctness, they are just built to make sure that the business is the only thing being represented.  Most corporations want to remain socially and politically neutral so as to not drive away customers.

I wouldn't be offended by a button, but it would deter me from the business if every employee started wearing right-wing buttons.  It would lead me to believe that the business approved of right-wing practices and policies, and probably funds right-wing politicians.  I would stop going there so as to not further support something I do not agree with.  If everyone followed dress code, I'd be none the wiser.  Nothing to do with anything being PC or not, more to do with the company protecting its business.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Marconius wrote:

And my point still remains that you have no point.  I don't care what's on the button, and anything being PC or not, you cannot change the overall feeling of the culture; someone will always be offended by something, and that's been going on for much, Much longer than any PC legislation.  Dress codes aren't generally built around political correctness, they are just built to make sure that the business is the only thing being represented.  Most corporations want to remain socially and politically neutral so as to not drive away customers.

I wouldn't be offended by a button, but it would deter me from the business if every employee started wearing right-wing buttons.  It would lead me to believe that the business approved of right-wing practices and policies, and probably funds right-wing politicians.  I would stop going there so as to not further support something I do not agree with.  If everyone followed dress code, I'd be none the wiser.  Nothing to do with anything being PC or not, more to do with the company protecting its business.
I did not miss your point, and you are correct, he broke the rules.

My point goes deeper into why such a bullshit rule needed to be established and well, at least you admit it, it is people like you that companies are afraid of offending. People like you are the very reason a company must now be afraid of showing pride in the very country that gave it the freedom to thrive in.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
There's a vast difference between 'being Offended' and 'showing support for causes or ideologies you don't support.'  Maybe the company itself doesn't share the same "pride" you have or think others should have.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL
company uniform

uni-form

one-form

all employees must wear the same outfit.  I can't wear any logos or sayings at my job, patriotic or otherwise.  Get over it.

And anyone who was offended by the button:  gtfo of my country
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone

S.Lythberg wrote:

Lucky I'm not in your country cause I'd be offended. I ain't under no god, fuck God I'm better then any freaking god. At least I exist.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

DrunkFace wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Lucky I'm not in your country cause I'd be offended. I ain't under no god, fuck God I'm better then any freaking god. At least I exist.
It's his religion, he can say whatever the hell he wants, freedom of speech.  You don't have to believe it, just tolerate it.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone

S.Lythberg wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

It's his religion, he can say whatever the hell he wants, freedom of speech.  You don't have to believe it, just tolerate it.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-10-30 09:09:11)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6438|Chicago, IL

DrunkFace wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Goddamn aussies

Spoiler (highlight to read):
<3
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
pretty fucking simple. he didn't adhere to the dress code, he got kicked.

end of.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6471|Somewhere else

lowing wrote:

Marconius wrote:

I did not miss your point, and you are correct, he broke the rules.

My point goes deeper into why such a bullshit rule needed to be established and well, at least you admit it, it is people like you that companies are afraid of offending. People like you are the very reason a company must now be afraid of showing pride in the very country that gave it the freedom to thrive in.
If the rules are rules, this person broke them.  You could argue that if this button were allowed, then the rule is now flexible, bendable, and could lead to vague preferential treatment..... why was this button allowed, and my "I love tits" button not?  The answer is obvious, but to avoid bullshit lawsuits of "this guy got away with it and i didn't"  It may be easiest to merely set the rule in stone, and avoid a costly and liable precedent used against you later.  That may have been a factor.

Does the story smell really unfair? yeah.   It reeks of bullshit.  But there may be reasons, like the one I suggest.  I sure as shit know i'd be pissed if I ws the employee terminated though.  As with life, there is more to the story, knee jerk reactions to this story ( and maybe the same for the parties involved) probably don't have a fair grasp on the entirety of the situation.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
i love it.

This guy broke the rules and got fired.

i love it.

(remind you of anyone?)
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5392

m3thod wrote:

i love it.

This guy broke the rules and got fired.

i love it.

(remind you of anyone?)
no......
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
read moar troll less.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5392

m3thod wrote:

read moar troll less.
or dont be a douche and explain what you are talking aboot.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Marconius wrote:

There's a vast difference between 'being Offended' and 'showing support for causes or ideologies you don't support.'  Maybe the company itself doesn't share the same "pride" you have or think others should have.
yes like the country you live in. Hence my argument Marconious. Thank you. Are we now to be so ashamed and so sensative that we are willing to fire a person for being proud of his country, and then celebrate it as just and no big deal?
Wreckognize
+294|6477
He didn't get fired for having pride in his country, he got fired for not following the rules.  What don't you understand about this?
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
No, but we'll be damn sure to fire anyone who breaks the enforced rules.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
You all just refuse to look at the underlying causes of this don't you?  Just can't peel back the layer and see what instigates companies to taking such action against an otherwise perfect employee. Fired because of what someone else  ( like Marconious) would think about your beliefs and take steps to stiffle them. Oh well. I suppose if I were pro- PC and forced "fairness" I would refuse to acknowledge it as well.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Marconius wrote:

No, but we'll be damn sure to fire anyone who breaks the enforced rules.
yes like your beloved zero tolerance... The policy that removes all  responsibility toward common sense that you so adore.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Lowing, many companies have had policies regarding religious and political paraphernalia for years; long before your so called PC movement.

You're being a typical conservative hypocrite.  You espouse the free market economy and business rights, up until you don't agree with them, then you turn into a broken record and blame the liberals or the Muslims.

Oh, and by the way, even if it wasn't against their dress code, an employer can still tell you that something is inappropriate for work and make you remove it.  He refused the request and was fired.  So lets see, he broke their dress (whether you like it or not is irrelevant), and refused to comply with an order from their superior.

He fought the law, and the law won.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Lowing, many companies have had policies regarding religious and political paraphernalia for years; long before your so called PC movement.

You're being a typical conservative hypocrite.  You espouse the free market economy and business rights, up until you don't agree with them, then you turn into a broken record and blame the liberals or the Muslims.

Oh, and by the way, even if it wasn't against their dress code, an employer can still tell you that something is inappropriate for work and make you remove it.  He refused the request and was fired.  So lets see, he broke their dress (whether you like it or not is irrelevant), and refused to comply with an order from their superior.

He fought the law, and the law won.
What part of, you refuse to acknowledge the underlying causes of this didn't you understand. I am not the broken record here. I am trying to explore the root cause of such "zero tolerance" while you insist it is a surface issue. It is not.

By the way, One nation under God, is not a religious expression. It is a patriotic one. You will find that quote in no religious text.

As far as that goes, no it was not that long ago where kids recited the Pledge of Allegiance in class, right up until the "so called PC movement" had it removed for fear of offending.

PC is not " so called" or alleged, it is real and it is stiffling
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6686|San Francisco
We've already made the point the PC doesn't much have to do with this issue.  You're just bringing it up due to the content of the pin, but it ultimately Isn't the cause of dress-code policies.  You just want it to be an issue so you can denounce anyone who doesn't like "One nation under god" under the guise of patriotism.

lowing wrote:

By the way, One nation under God, is not a religious expression. It is a patriotic one. You will find that quote in no religious text.
*facepalm* Sorry, if it involves "God" then it is religious.  It was only added into the Pledge to try to set ourselves apart from the "godless communists" of the Cold War era back in the 50s.  The Knights of Columbus and many other religious institutions were able to push that through since calling them on it would've been a 'communist' thing to do.  In fact, quite a lot of people were mad about it as it effectively destroyed the "indivisible" part of the Pledge that was emphatically written to honor the outcome of the Civil War (One nation indivisible).  Adding "god" to it ended up dividing the country yet again, as not everyone believed in the same god, let alone believe in a god at all.  If you outed yourself about the latter back then, you'd be blackballed from society and effectively hunted by the government, especially if you were in a position of political power.  So drop the bullshit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Marconius wrote:

We've already made the point the PC doesn't much have to do with this issue.  You're just bringing it up due to the content of the pin, but it ultimately Isn't the cause of dress-code policies.  You just want it to be an issue so you can denounce anyone who doesn't like "One nation under god" under the guise of patriotism.

lowing wrote:

*facepalm* Sorry, if it involves "God" then it is religious.  It was only added into the Pledge to try to set ourselves apart from the "godless communists" of the Cold War era back in the 50s.  The Knights of Columbus and many other religious institutions were able to push that through since calling them on it would've been a 'communist' thing to do.  In fact, quite a lot of people were mad about it as it effectively destroyed the "indivisible" part of the Pledge that was emphatically written to honor the outcome of the Civil War (One nation indivisible).  Adding "god" to it ended up dividing the country yet again, as not everyone believed in the same god, let alone believe in a god at all.  If you outed yourself about the latter back then, you'd be blackballed from society and effectively hunted by the government, especially if you were in a position of political power.  So drop the bullshit.
Lets see, you want "God" removed from patriotic verses, money, govt. buildings, etc... SOrry, if there is any bullshit, it is from fanatics such as yourself. This is a PC issue because, just like it has been agreed upon. PC is the reason for instituting such bullshit rules in the first place. Again, and again and again 25 years ago no one would have been fired for wearing such a pin. Until your people of yout elk came along that is.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard