DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada
Is this a latency or a hardware issue?

Playing infantry is nearly impossible for me, due to my crosshair shooting off in various directions, losing (or getting stuck in) zoom, or my character moving strangely...
..It's hard to explain.

I assumed it was a latency issue, even though it's not really lagging or anything, but even on servers where I get 60-80 ping, I can't play properly.

Rig:
W7
Pentium D (3 GHz)
1 GB RAM
8800 GT

(If it's not lag, I assume it's the W7 + 1 GB RAM combo..)
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

60-80 ping is pretty bad (not terrible, but on a local server you'd expect 30 or under).

If you have a wireless mouse, replace the batteries.

And you really should get more RAM. And soon.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
It's my usual ping in most games.
In TF2 I mostly play at 80-90 ping, and it works pretty decent.

No wireless mouse though.

..and yeah, I really need more RAM.
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5983|Perth, Australia
Damn you and your eastern states Reaps.

Over 'ere in the west a 60-80 ping is pretty decent for bf2
Shimakaze
Through the valley of the shadow of death...
+6|5348|Vancouver, Canada
Yeah...I'd be really happy to get 60~80ms ping. My average is around 120.

About your issue, you could have low latency (good ping), which is what the game shows, but high packet loss. If you're on wireless network, it could be a crappy/dying router, or an issue with your ISP.

You definitely need more RAM than 1GB for Win7, but that wouldn't fix the problem you're describing.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Is there a way to check the packet loss?

..and hey, another Vancouverite.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

You have wireless internet?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6401|dm_maidenhead
I get the exact same thing on my laptop.
Specs: Vista 32bit
T4300 2.1GHz
3GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 4330 512MB
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

DeathUnlimited wrote:

You have wireless internet?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
LukcyStrike1331
+5|5432
i have same problem for example...
when im aiming with sniper and i zoom, after fired shoot i press right mouse button and it should zoom out, but it zooms out and again zoom, but in the meantime, between that when i zoom out and it zooms in alone by it self, mouse sensitivity is really big and if i move a mouse 1 centimeter it will register that mouse is moved for about 20 centimeters.

this happens every 5 th shoot
Shimakaze

DefCon-17 wrote:

Is there a way to check the packet loss?

..and hey, another Vancouverite.

A good place to start is find the IP address of the server you usually play on, or any server where you experience the problem. Let's say the IP is 127.0.0.1...Open up command prompt and enter "ping 127.0.0.1 -t". What the -t parameter will do is continuously ping the server until you stop it. Let it ping for a minute or so to get good sample data, then press Ctrl+C to abort pinging. You can then read the packet stats. You're interested in the percentage lost. This at least lets you know if your problem is related to packet loss or not.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Doesn't seem to be any:
Packets: Sent = 439, Received = 439, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 76ms, Maximum = 1692ms, Average = 918ms
I don't have wireless, but I do connect through a router.

LukcyStrike: That's exactly what happens to me, although it's not always tied to zooming.
aimless
+166|6124|Texas
Those are some wildly varying ping times. My old connection used to do that. Showed in-game ping of ~30, showed 0% packet loss, but ping times ranged from 10ms up to 900ms. Showed it to the ISP guys, they came and fixed some wires in the wall.

Last edited by aimless (2009-09-29 12:22:07)

Shimakaze
Yeah, those are some nasty spikes. Do you get that kind of max and average ping with most servers?

You could try to run a tracert to the server IP (e.g. tracert 127.0.0.1 in command prompt) to find out which hop in the route between your computer and destination is causing the problem. You should probably mask out the IP addresses of the first couple of hops if you're planning to post the output here, unless you want people to know your address
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Hmmm...what am I looking for in the output log thing?
Shimakaze

DefCon-17 wrote:

Hmmm...what am I looking for in the output log thing?
Each row is a "hop" to the next router in a series of routers connecting your computer to the rest of the world, and then to the server. Each number in a row is the time it takes for a packet to travel from one router to the next. There are three numbers because tracert tries three times with each hop to give you an idea of an average.

You're looking for hops that take an abnormally long time to reach. If you see high values near the top of the list, that could mean problems with your own router or your ISP. If high values are lower down, near the destination, it's probably an issue with the server's ISP and there's not much you can do about that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention...if it's one isolated hop with high values, it doesn't necessarily mean that there's a problem. Those numbers could be large due to traffic prioritization, which is normal.

Last edited by Shimakaze (2009-09-29 19:38:58)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Ahhh okay.

Rows 1-4 range from 23ms to 30ms.
Row 5 is 40-42
Row 6: 57-59
Row 7: 59-61
Row 8-13: 83-103, with the highest being in row 11.

I'll try to find a local-ish BF2 server and see if I get the glitchy movement/aiming.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6715
2 gigs of ram would help... (doesn't W7 require at least a gig by itself?)
and make sure xfire/TS/Msn etc are all turned off...
and with my old system i turned the audi to low settings and turned off the voip...
Love is the answer
baggs
+732|6203
Also, do you have T1/Lan or Cable/256k set under general options? Also you can try and set your PB sleep timer to its highest setting. In game press the ` key to open the console and type:

pb_sleep 500       

hit enter and then type:

pb_wtitecfg

That will calm down some network traffic for you. Also what Catbox said, when i used xfire i found it used to lag my game up a fair bit. I also turn VOIP off (who wants to listen to Germans anyway ).
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6351|uk

I'm guessing my issue is also relevant to this?

(I have the same issue on multiple PC's, one wireless, the other cable- which played the game up until 1.5 without any issues. New machine is Intel Core 2 Duo P7350, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4750. It's only the mouse that lags- and as per my topic, tried multiple mice as well.)

(Not trying to jump into topic... trying to provide details that prehaps others with the same issue can compare with)

Last edited by Titch2349 (2009-09-30 16:38:59)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Catbox: Does Xfire make a lot of difference? In XP, I ran about 22 processes when I played a game. In Windows 7, it's around 40... I'm not sure which I can shut down.

Baggs: It's on Cable. I tried the PB sleep thing, but haven't found an active low ping server yet to properly try it. (Only tried on a server where I got an average of 90 ping.)

Titch: Does the mouse spaz smoothly, or does it randomly jump? Mine only jumps abruptly, making infantry a little hard to play.

Also, to expand on my glitchy movement: When I'm sprinting, every few seconds the game will act like I ran over a small rock or something (when the ground is perfectly smooth), slowing me down for like a 1/10th of a second as I see my gun start to raise up like I stopped sprinting, then it goes back down again.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
Related topic. I used to know of a way to start WinXP without starting any non-system background processes but I can't for the life of me remember how. No, it wasn't safe mode. Any help?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2009-09-30 21:42:28)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

JohnG@lt wrote:

Related topic. I used to know of a way to start WinXP without starting any non-system background processes but I can't for the life of me remember how. No, it wasn't safe mode. Any help?
Start/Run/msconfig/Disable everything in Services and Startup (After hiding Microsoft services)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

DefCon-17 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Start/Run/msconfig/Disable everything in Services and Startup (After hiding Microsoft services)
Thank you kindly. That was exactly it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard