Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

[AP] http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_ … e_overhaul
WASHINGTON – Americans would be fined up to $3,800 for failing to buy health insurance under a plan that circulated in Congress on Tuesday as divisions among Democrats undercut President Barack Obama's effort to regain traction on his health care overhaul.

As Obama talked strategy with Democratic leaders at the White House, the one idea that most appeals to his party's liberal base lost ground in Congress. Prospects for a government-run plan to compete with private insurers sank as a leading moderate Democrat said he could no longer support the idea.

The fast-moving developments put Obama in a box. As a candidate, he opposed fines to force individuals to buy health insurance, and he supported setting up a public insurance plan. On Tuesday, fellow Democrats publicly begged to differ on both ideas.

Democratic congressional leaders put on a bold front as they left the White House after their meeting with the president.

"We're re-energized; we're ready to do health care reform," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

One idea that Obama championed during and since the campaign — a government insurance option — appeared to be sinking fast.

....the fast-moving developments left liberals in a quandary. They've drawn a line, saying they won't vote for legislation if it doesn't include a public plan to compete with private insurance companies and force them to lower costs.
Just as auto coverage is now mandatory in nearly all states, Baucus would require that all Americans get health insurance once the system is overhauled. Penalties for failing to do so would start at $750 a year for individuals and $1,500 for families. Households making more than three times the federal poverty level — about $66,000 for a family of four — would face the maximum fines. For families, it would be $3,800, and for individuals, $950.

Baucus would offer tax credits to help pay premiums for households making up to three times the poverty level, and for small employers paying about average middle-class wages. People working for companies that offer coverage could avoid the fines by signing up.

The fines pose a dilemma for Obama. As a candidate, the president campaigned hard against making health insurance a requirement, and fining people for not getting it.
Are the Dems trying to ruin it for Obama? Nice job Reid/Pelosi.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6529|Montucky
The real question is, Does the government have the right to force you to have health insurance?
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6839|Grapevine, TX
Yes they are!! GJ Reid/Pelosi
Check it out: The Commerce Clause of the US Constitution.
The Constitution assigns only limited, enumerated powers to Congress and none, including the power to regulate interstate commerce or to impose taxes...

The Government CANNOT impose any regulated fees, or make its citizens buy ANYTHING from the Government.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Tomorrows speech will make or break his Presidency. If he clearly states how it will work and be paid for, he might have a shot... otherwise he's done IMO.

Edit: Ill say this again, too:
Health Insurance or health benefits are not a "RIGHT" provided by the US Constitution. Health Insurance or health benefits are a "privilege" for those the "earn" its "benefits." Period.

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2009-09-08 17:34:48)

Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6004|Truthistan

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

Yes they are!! GJ Reid/Pelosi
Check it out: The Commerce Clause of the US Constitution.
The Constitution assigns only limited, enumerated powers to Congress and none, including the power to regulate interstate commerce or to impose taxes...

The Government CANNOT impose any regulated fees, or make its citizens buy ANYTHING from the Government.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Tomorrows speech will make or break his Presidency. If he clearly states how it will work and be paid for, he might have a shot... otherwise he's done IMO.

Edit: Ill say this again, too:
Health Insurance or health benefits are not a "RIGHT" provided by the US Constitution. Health Insurance or health benefits are a "privilege" for those the "earn" its "benefits." Period.
^^^^^^^^
Even if PBO and the Dems pass anything, you can be sure that the insurance industry will be bringing out the big guns and challenging the commerce clause. IMO the people occupying the seats on SCOTUS would love to trim the commerce clause back. But I would love to see an FDR type stand off with SCOTUS, perhaps Scalia and Thomas can be impeached or maybe PBO can pack the court up to lucky number 13. Oh to dream.

As for the rest,
The whole "healthcare is not a right" is just buzz words jingoism. FYI its circular logic. Healthcare is not a right therefore reform shouldn't be done, reform shouldn't be done why? because its not a right... garbage.

and for fun here is a list of other less popular and equally useless jingos for things that are also not rights.
1. profits are not a right
2. bail outs are not a right
3. corporations are not a right
4. tax cuts are not a right
5. tax incentives are not a right

Its simply amazing how things that are not rights all seem to get done dispite the fact that they are not rights. So the reason they get done must be based on some other reason other than they must be "rights". Mayhaps it makes economic sense that certain things get done to keep the economy healthy.  Getting health care is a necessity, not a mere privilege (sorry), and needs to be highly regulated. If the regulation of the industry means that the gougers feel that its no longer profitable enough for them then too bad.

The problem is that health insurance doesn't work as a market unless some people are denied access. So those people are sacrificed  in order to make the industry profitable. The insurance industry has no right to declare ownership over this market or the profits to made in this market.... There is no god given right to a profit.

Where Dumocrats are going wrong is that the the reduction of costs is going to adversely affect someone. Someone is going to lose and it will be the insurance industry (and good riddance to them). The worst case scenerio is that these clowns will come out a say that they guarantee that no one will lose anything because that means that taxpayer is going to be raped.

Since most if not all resistence to health care reform comes from the insurance industry, what would be an interesting way to grease the wheel of change would be to tell insurance companies that the govt would pay them their present day profit for a set period of time, say ten years. The insurance companies accepting the offer could simply bow out of the market, close up offices, reduce all overhead, lay off everyone and collect their welfare check while they change their business plan. So while there may be no god given right to a profit, when it comes to changing peoples minds, dollars talk louder than rights.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6548|Long Island, New York

Kmarion wrote:

They're as bad as the right. No middle ground. Their way or the highway.

Ridiculous.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

My main question regarding this healthcare overhaul has always been - why are they doing it?  Do these Dems actually care about their constituency so much that they want everyone to have healthcare coverage?  Or is it a legacy issue, something the DNC can say, "hey, that was us" on?  How much are certain industries like health insurance and pharma influencing the wording and laws of the proposed legislation?

I support the idea of universal coverage, and I honestly don't care about throwing a few more dollars in to the cess-pool that is the American budget so that my fellow human beings can afford to go see their GP for preventative care.  I don't support corruption and I absolutely despise the idea of lobbyists molding this bill into a cash cow for certain industries, as is obvious to anyone who has actually been following this whole charade.  I actually hope the bill fails as it is though, because requiring people to sign up for something they don't necessarily need is retarded and goes against the fundamental principle of liberty.  The whole commerce clause angle is a larger argument that can be applied to virtually everything the federal government has done in the last 200 years.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Ridiculous.
I'm not joking when I say I think they may be trying to ruin Obama. I don't think Barry O is performing quite as predicted. Obama has said over and over that he isn't going to require anyone to purchase new insurance. This is going to end up kicking him square in the nuts. I think we may be seeing a power struggle not between the parties, but between the branches.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Kmarion wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Ridiculous.
I'm not joking when I say I think they may be trying to ruin Obama. I don't think Barry O is performing quite as predicted. Obama has said over and over that he isn't going to require anyone to purchase new insurance. This is going to end up kicking him square in the nuts. I think we may be seeing a power struggle not between the parties, but between the branches.
I choose to remain an optimist and I believe it'll all work out in the end. The republicans have got to be joking if they think they're going to magically take back congress in 2010.

I think right now as a whole, congress fucking blows. There's maybe 2-4 senators (Chuck Hagel ftw) with a brain, maybe 5-10 congressmen.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6507

Poseidon wrote:

There's maybe 2-4 senators (Chuck Hagel ftw) with a brain, maybe 5-10 congressmen.
think global, act local. vote in the primaries. vote in the generals.
it's a mistake to think America is democratic - it's in fact a republic. and local elections is where the republic starts.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Ridiculous.
I choose to remain an optimist and I believe it'll all work out in the end. The republicans have got to be joking if they think they're going to magically take back congress in 2010.

I think right now as a whole, congress fucking blows. There's maybe 2-4 senators (Chuck Hagel ftw) with a brain, maybe 5-10 congressmen.
I agree the majority of congress blows. .. on the whole.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France
Yeah I saw this.  I cannot believe this has been proposed.  Enough now that I'm paying a lot of attention.  I used to think this MIGHT be a good idea.  Know I'm not sure.

Anyone know the answer to this question - what happens to the uninsurable?

Curious...
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6682|UK

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I support the idea of universal coverage, and I honestly don't care about throwing a few more dollars in to the cess-pool that is the American budget so that my fellow human beings can afford to go see their GP for preventative care.
I endorse this.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6654|internet
f**k Obama and f**k government...
Some people don't need health insurance...Its up to us to decide!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

The comparison between automotive insurance and health insurance is non-sensical. The only insurance you are required to have is liability--which is intended to pay for damages to another person/property, not your own.

And if you don't drive, you don't need insurance.

What's the analog for health insurance?

It simply makes no sense.

If people don't want to buy health insurance, they realize they may get hit with significant bills should they get sick. That's their decision to make and their responsibility to bear should it come to pass. Not the government's. Not mine. Not yours.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6839|Grapevine, TX

FEOS wrote:

The comparison between automotive insurance and health insurance is non-sensical. The only insurance you are required to have is liability--which is intended to pay for damages to another person/property, not your own.

If people don't want to buy health insurance, they realize they may get hit with significant bills should they get sick. That's their decision to make and their responsibility to bear should it come to pass. Not the government's. Not mine. Not yours.
This. +1
I dont see how you compare auto/health ins. either. My roommate and I talked about this last night. Driving is a privilege, not a right. So is health insurance... "For those who earn it, receive its benefits."
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
Watching obama's healthcare speech atm, he seems to be very balenced.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
A republican just shouted out "it's a lie!' when Obama said that no illegals would be covered.

And people say Obama has no class? Give me a fucking break. It's a joint session of congress on TV.
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Poseidon wrote:

A republican just shouted out "it's a lie!' when Obama said that no illegals would be covered.

And people say Obama has no class? Give me a fucking break. It's a joint session of congress on TV.
He was probably one of the handful of people in that room that have actually read the bill. He might not have been classy, but he was correct.

==============================

The plan Obama's talking about sounds great.

Too bad it's not the one in front of Congress right now.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-09-09 18:01:28)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6559|San Diego, CA, USA

m3thod wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I support the idea of universal coverage, and I honestly don't care about throwing a few more dollars in to the cess-pool that is the American budget so that my fellow human beings can afford to go see their GP for preventative care.
I endorse this.
There is no provision to verify someone is a legal citizen so anyone can walk up and get 'universal health insurance'...including illegals.

Still endorse this?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

When people end up in the hospital without insurance and don't pay up, those costs get passed to you and me.  This is true both for our current system and for a socialized one.

Why isn't it the government's right to force people to have insurance if I'm going to end up paying for somebody else's lack of coverage anyway?

At some point, you have to realize that this idealistic concept of individualism doesn't apply to much of reality.  We're all connected.  I'd rather everyone have coverage (whether they like it or not) than have to pay more anyway because of their negligence.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6559|San Diego, CA, USA
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … limit.html
'Doctors told me it was against the rules to save my premature baby'
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211950/Premature-baby-left-die-doctors-mother-gives-birth-just-days-22-week-care-limit.html
'Doctors told me it was against the rules to save my premature baby'
It's the Daily Mail...  c'mon man.  That's like using The Sun as your source.
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

Why isn't it the government's right to force people to have insurance if I'm going to end up paying for somebody else's lack of coverage anyway?
Because it's not the government's job, nor is it enumerated in the Constitution.

The better comparison was the one used by Obama tonight: public vs private college.

The difference is that the government doesn't (yet) think it can force you to go to college.

As for passing on costs: If the costs were truly passed on to others, there would be no medical debt.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-09-09 20:24:26)

― Albert Einstein

Turquoise
O Canada

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Because it's not the government's job, nor is it enumerated in the Constitution.

The better comparison was the one used by Obama tonight: public vs private college.

The difference is that the government doesn't (yet) think it can force you to go to college.

As for passing on costs: If the costs were truly passed on to others, there would be no medical debt.
So you don't think that most of the reason why we pay so much for healthcare is because our system doesn't properly handle people who don't pay up?
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

So you don't think that most of the reason why we pay so much for healthcare is because our system doesn't properly handle people who don't pay up?
What I'm saying is that the arguments don't add up.

If the costs of those who don't pay get passed on to the rest of us, then there's no debt for that person who doesn't pay. There's no bad credit following them around. There's no collectors trying to get the money from them.

But all that exists, both due to medical bills and (more often) other debts that far exceed the medical debts.

The bottomline is that one must meet certain criteria for the government to force you to carry insurance for your vehicle: 1) you must have a vehicle 2) you must drive it 3) you must have coverage to protect others, not yourself. It's not at all the same paradigm. It's an overly simplistic fucking sound byte that nobody thinks twice about.

Then there's the whole Constitution thing that Obama isn't a fan of anyway (see his comments on positive vs negative rights).
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard