notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
So, I'm thinking about writing a novel.

I was an English major in college and I realized that I haven't really written since then.  A friend of mine wrote one, got it published, and it was actually released today.  I'm thinking I want to do the same thing.

So today I started.  I'm writing my outline, trying to piece together how the plot would work.

Anyway, has anyone ever written a book before?  Or had something published?  Your experiences, I'd like to hear them.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
Never accept that your piece is done.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

Always use spell check.
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5417|Athens, GA
new mod or name change?
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

TMo
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5417|Athens, GA

Gooners wrote:

TMo
oh...
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

notorious wrote:

I was an English major in college and I realized that I haven't really written since then.  A friend of mine wrote one, got it published, and it was actually released today.  I'm thinking I want to do the same thing.

So today I started.  I'm writing my outline, trying to piece together how the plot would work.

Anyway, has anyone ever written a book before?  Or had something published?  Your experiences, I'd like to hear them.
What in the hell could you do with a degree in English?
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6320|Londawn

Macbeth wrote:

notorious wrote:

English Teacher
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Idlewild wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

notorious wrote:

English Teacher
That is all?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

notorious wrote:

I'm writing my own and hoping to get it published, haven't got much more to write for it really. One thing is for sure, if you do a subject you don't know everything about, be prepared to do a shitload of research and without connections it can be very hard .

I always do a plot summary first though and then evolve it from there. GL with it
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

M.O.A.B wrote:

notorious wrote:

I'm writing my own and hoping to get it published, haven't got much more to write for it really. One thing is for sure, if you do a subject you don't know everything about, be prepared to do a shitload of research and without connections it can be very hard .

I always do a plot summary first though and then evolve it from there. GL with it
Truth is stranger than fiction, real life experiences > anything you can think of. Mold RL experiences into your story.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

Macbeth wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

notorious wrote:

Truth is stranger than fiction, real life experiences > anything you can think of. Mold RL experiences into your story.
Only problem is, not many of my RL experiences fit into what I'm writing
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

M.O.A.B wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

What exactly are you writing?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK

Macbeth wrote:

notorious wrote:

journalism?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

m3thod wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

notorious wrote:

journalism?
Pretty sure journalism is a whole separate field of studies.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6215|Escea

Macbeth wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Ficitional war novel sat against real events i.e Afghanistan.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

M.O.A.B wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Ficitional war novel sat against real events i.e Afghanistan.
O that is interesting. You could always impose the personalities of interesting people you met unto your characters. There are many ways you could work your life into your stories.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK

Macbeth wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

journalism?
Pretty sure journalism is a whole separate field of studies.
I think it's excellent command of the English language that's more pertinent.  I've got a mate who has a degree in English lit i used to get her to check all my work before i submitted it.

Teaching, journalism and publishing seem to be the top 3 choices.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

All I've had published is cartoons and articles.

I will offer one bit of advice that I got from a very well known New Zealand writer. When you're starting out get others to look at your work early on. You don't want to write the whole thing and then find out that you've made a lot of elementary mistakes.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

I've read a handful of unpublished works by 3 people.  The publishing world is very cruel, and lots of people will want you to pay them to publish your story then not do much to promote it.  Here's what I've noticed - a lack of cohesion.  Almost all of the stories I read had great character development but a lack of continuity and cohesion in the story.  One of my English Profs was working on a novel and had me read it and one of the characters died early then in like chapter 12 was right back in the story .  My buddy has a few novellas he's written and they are interesting, but over-the-top exaggerated and end abruptly.  I guess I would say that the main problem in both was a lack of concrete direction.  It seems like the characters were developed and the idea of a story was established but there was never a specific sequence/storyline blocked out.  I'd recommend making sure the story flows with some sort of constant fluidity first and foremost.

What kind of novel are you writing?  Just a character-driven story or some sort of allegory?  I'd like to consider myself one of the more well-read people on this forum so I'm interested to hear what you are thinking.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command
Don't submit it to a commercial publication on your own. You must act through a lawyer or agent or it will never get read by the big guns.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

notorious wrote:

don't write the outline first - bang out pages, see the story develope, do one rough cut first. Then work on a brief outline. get someone to proofread, not for grammer at first but for content. someone you can trust to be honest.
as you get near novel length, start acting on what KENNINGS and ATG offered.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6522|Global Command
My attempts at writing without an outline always ended when some random thought would lead me in a different direction. I believe outlines are they only way to keep a larger work coherent.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

yes, writing is as personal as it gets. outlines are perfect for non-fiction. good for fiction when you have the whole story right there, ready to pour out.

but then you don't need an outline. for me, and this is the kicker, the whole story is not one undivided idea, differant directions aren't, when fleshing out a story that has characters and plot and action and scenery you need that as base. Then, that's when i see a denoumont, and can safely outline where the damn things headed. the joy for me is that i don't know . . .
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
This thread has actually become quite helpful.

Thanks guys.  Keep it coming.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard