Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6277|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
So I'm maxing out, relaxing all cool, playin some Medieval 2: Total War down by the school when all of a sudden, my computer, being awesome like that, freezes. I'm calm and restart it. Happens again, and again, and again, for a few days now. No weird sounds coming from any component, but the vidya card is running a bit hot. I have no idea whether this is a software or hardware crash.

Specs:
2GB DDR2 RAM
nVIDIA 9800GTX+
Intel P4 Processor

And I know, the processor is bottlenecking it, but the card's been running fine on most games the past 6+ months. Help please?
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6651|The darkside of Denver
memtest86 yo
Defiance
+438|6662

If the card is running a bit hot, have you checked the cooler to see if it's clogged with dust? It overheating can easily cause a crash.
aimless
+166|6116|Texas
My 8800GT used to lock up like that, then it died.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5896|CA
You forgot to whistle for a cab, and then when it came near you realize the license plate says "Fresh" and there is dice on the mirror.  If anything, this cab is rare, but nah forget it, yo holmes to Bel Air.

er...perhaps your drivers are outdated?  What are your GPU & CPU temps?  Have you googled your problem?

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-07-23 12:51:25)

Wallpaper
+303|5985|The pool
Do you have ntune installed?
acdc
+37|6567|SEATTLE, WA

Wallpaper wrote:

Do you have ntune installed?
My friend had ntune installed and the monitor is going blank, I just uninstalled ntune so we'll see.

Are you asking if he has it installed so you can say un install it?  Explain
Wallpaper
+303|5985|The pool
If its installed, get rid of it. Shit causes nothing but problems. It caused all games to completely lock the system for me
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
My drivers are a bit outdated, I'm updating them as I type. I just used RivaTuner and set my fan speed to 90%. With a floor fan blowing on it, my card's at 37C.
alexb
<3
+590|5931|Kentucky, USA

Most GPU's are fine for temperatures of 100C, sometimes even higher.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
Well, fuck. It's definitely not my video card - under a load, it only goes up to 47C. And it still freezes. I have no idea why this is happening, and I'm ready for suggestions.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6130|New Jersey
When you say it freezes, what happens?  BSOD or just the game freezes and you can't bring up task manager or minimize?

Does this only happen when you're playing Medieval, or for other games, or when you're not gaming at all?

And just because your video card isn't overheating does not mean that it isn't the root of the problem.  It could just be dying.  Depending on what type of freeze you're experiencing, it could also be a software issue though.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
When it freezes, I mean that it just locks up and I can't do anything. It usually happens when gaming, but it frequently freezes when doing anything - talking on Ventrilo, watching Youtube, or just doing nothing at all.
alexb
<3
+590|5931|Kentucky, USA

Do you hear looping sounds when your computer freezes?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6588|Seattle

Could be PSU, could be mobo, could be RAM, could be hard drive failure, but most likely heat/video card. Is there anything showing up in the event logs? Do you ever get BSOD's? Can you run chkdsk c: /f
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
Yes on the sound looping, not sure on the logs, will check; chkdsk said I was in the all clear.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6406|Finland

Run furmark and IBT

e. didn't see your cpu load temps, how high are they?

e2. run atitool artifact scan too for good while

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-07-24 15:13:10)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

Try with one ram stick. My computer does that when the ram is OC'd too far. You might have a stick going bad.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Run furmark and IBT

e. didn't see your cpu load temps, how high are they?

e2. run atitool artifact scan too for good while
I ran ATItool for an hour or so. No artifacting. Max temp during the Furmark test was 76C.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6130|New Jersey
That type of freezing sounds like a software thing to me.  Looping sound is generally not related to hardware failure.  And a video card/CPU would not be overheating when he's just watching youtube or doing nothing.

But as Deathunlimited mentioned, you should try un-overclocking everything or removing all but one RAM stick.

When's the last time you reformatted?
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?

SpIk3y wrote:

That type of freezing sounds like a software thing to me.  Looping sound is generally not related to hardware failure.  And a video card/CPU would not be overheating when he's just watching youtube or doing nothing.

But as Deathunlimited mentioned, you should try un-overclocking everything or removing all but one RAM stick.

When's the last time you reformatted?
Ugh, maybe.. a few years ago?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6406|Finland

Still run that IBT babe.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard