max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Internet went down overnight
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
My SMP client randomly stopped working, nothing happens when I try to run the .exe.  I forget, what are the files I'm supposed to delete to fix it?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.

SpIk3y wrote:

My SMP client randomly stopped working, nothing happens when I try to run the .exe.  I forget, what are the files I'm supposed to delete to fix it?
work folder and queue.dat IIRC.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
hmm still nothing happening after I delete the work and queue folders.  guess i'll just try a full reinstall when I get the chance.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
got it working again, replacing the original exe with the drop-in binary available on the stanford site did the trick.
max
Vela Incident

I'm going on holidays for two months on Saturday. Sadly that means I'll have to shut down the farm. I'll put the PCs on -oneunit on Friday.

Last edited by max (2009-07-09 07:05:57)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Why do you have to shut them down when you go away?

I don't.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Holidays for 2 months?  I need to move to Europe.
max
Vela Incident

Time to shut down. See you all on September 12th or so.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
My GPU clients can't seem to get work, anyone else experiencing this?
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Nope, my GPU client is still chugging away.  That does happen to me every so often though.  It usually manages to fix itself.
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6177
Well ill be starting again soon, ive forgotten the password for my twoblacklines account, any ideas how to get the account back ?

Planned sys is i7 one for me, with a few nvidia cards. Or a single 275gtx.

And in the spare room im plumbing in a ps3, and finding some old P4 viglen pc's and putting 9800GTX's in them

So hope to be around 15kppd eventually, 24/7.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
I didn't know you needed a password for F@H.  You just need the password for the SMP client, which is the same as the password on your Windows account.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Just read this on the EVGA forums, it's supposed to increase PPD.

Tip #1: Setting Affinity
Affinity is when a process only runs on a certain core(s) of a multi-core CPU. First, I will explain how to change affinity, meaning how to change which CPU core a process will run on, and then I will explain which FAH processes to run on which core depending on your system hardware.

Changing Affinity:
To change affinity, open up the Task Manager. Click the Processes tab, and locate your FAH core process (FahCore_a1.exe, four of them, for SMP. FahCore_11.exe, for GPU2). Right click on it, and click Set Affinity. There will be two boxes if you have a dual-core and four boxes if you have a quad-core, which represent the cores of your CPU. By default, all boxes will be checked, meaning the process is allowed to run on all cores of the CPU. Unchecking a box prevents it from running on that CPU core. Read below to see which cores you should run your client(s) on.

Optimal affinity setup for the certain hardware configurations:
- Dual-core CPU without GPU2-capable graphics card. Run one SMP client along with the Affinity Changer program (more on this below).
- Dual-core CPU with single GPU2-capable graphics card: Run one SMP client, and one GPU2 client. Set all four SMP processes to run on one core, your choice of either CPU0 or CPU1. Set the GPU2 process to run on the other core.
- Dual-core CPU with multiple GPU2-capable graphics cards: Run one SMP client, and however many GPU2 clients depending on your number of GPUs. Set all four SMP processes to run on one core, your choice of either CPU0 or CPU1. Set all the GPU2 processes to run on the other core.
- Quad-core CPU without GPU2-capable graphics card: Run two SMP clients along with the Affinity Changer program (more on this below).
- Quad-core CPU with single GPU2-capable graphics card: Run two SMP clients, and one GPU2 client. Set the four SMP processes to run on three cores. Set the GPU2 process to run on the fourth remaining core.
- Quad-core CPU with multiple GPU2-capable graphics cards: Run two SMP clients, and however many GPU2 clients depending on your number of GPUs. Set the four SMP processes to run on three cores. Set all the GPU2 processes to run on the fourth remaining core.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
I should be back up and running this weekend.
twoblacklines
+49|6177
back in the game now, not entirely sure how I get the SMP client to work on a quadcore ? on my old rig i only ran on my 192SP GTX 260, this time round i have the 216SP GTX 260, and am planning on 3 more when phenom 2 gets cheaper / i7 gets 4 dual slot pci-e's / P55 comes out
twoblacklines
+49|6177
right stuck : the guide tells me this
The important thing is to see that the If you see this twice, MPI is working is displayed twice. If you don't see this or you see a different error, check why and fix this before retrying. When MPICH is working correctly, it's time to configure the client below.

Client configuration

The next step is to configure the client. Open a Command Prompt and change directory to the location where you unzipped the FAH client. Type this command to begin (assuming you renamed the FAH executable to "fah6"):

fah6 -configonly -smp
The client will display some information and then prompt you for answers to configuration questions. Note that for most answers, the default setting is the recommended setting. Here is an example of what is displayed on screen, with an explanation of each option:

Launch directory: C:\FAH
Executable: fah6
Arguments: -configonly -smp

[16:25:22] Configuring Folding@Home... 

I get the double message, then i type what they type, but nothing happens :

fah6 -configonly -smp
The client will display some information and then prompt you for answers to configuration questions. Note that for most answers, the default setting is the recommended setting. Here is an example of what is displayed on screen, with an explanation of each option:

Launch directory: C:\FAH
Executable: fah6
Arguments: -configonly -smp

[16:25:22] Configuring Folding@Home... 

what i get :

C:\Windows\system32>cd\

C:\>cd\Users

C:\Users>cd John

C:\Users\John>cd FAH

C:\Users\John\FAH>fah6 -configonly -smp

C:\Users\John\FAH>fah6-configonly-smp
'fah6-configonly-smp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\John\FAH>

Ie it does nothing....fuck.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
How to build the best folding rig

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2009/08/03 … ding-rig/1

https://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/08/how-to-build-the-best-folding-rig/asusmobo.jpg
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
thats a heater not a computer. it doubles as a flat top for cooking.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
So I just downloaded this, and forgive my ignorance...but what is it exactly I'm looking at in the Viewer?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

DefCon-17 wrote:

So I just downloaded this, and forgive my ignorance...but what is it exactly I'm looking at in the Viewer?
Well, protein... folding.... or something. I wouldn't know anyways, I get a BSOD if I open the viewer
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Oh I hit 2M! Congrats me!
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
I am going to needs some one's help to get the 6.23 beta (MPICH) running on my PC 20 hours from now.
My PC has Vista Ultimate(64-bit), SP-2. I have added all three essential ".exe" to the firewall exception list but when I run fah.exe from the command prompt nothing happens. I do not see any processes running in Window's Task Manager. Tomorrow at work, I will look at their wiki and forum but if any one has an idea what I can do...I am all ears. PM or post....going to bed right now....thanks

Last edited by loubot (2009-09-22 19:27:15)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada

DeathUnlimited wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

Well, protein... folding.... or something. I wouldn't know anyways, I get a BSOD if I open the viewer
Mine restarted the computer once, but otherwise it works fine.

..I must say though. The GPU viewer is a lot sexier than the CPU viewer.

Also, has anyone tried Rosetta@home?
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH

loubot wrote:

I am going to needs some one's help to get the 6.23 beta (MPICH) running on my PC 20 hours from now.
My PC has Vista Ultimate(64-bit), SP-2. I have added all three essential ".exe" to the firewall exception list but when I run fah.exe from the command prompt nothing happens. I do not see any processes running in Window's Task Manager. Tomorrow at work, I will look at their wiki and forum but if any one has an idea what I can do...I am all ears. PM or post....going to bed right now....thanks
I went to the folding forum and went to "Client Software - Beta" section +
"Windows v.6.24 Beta with -smp specified (was v6.22)" +
"6.24R3 windows SMP client released --Expiration July 4, 2010" topic
link

There I downloaded the "tweeked" FAH.exe file.
After executing the FAH.exe, it is running and I am back in business but too early to tell.
Hopefully, I will not have any problems.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard