SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Can't figure out what this is... the one in the middle with the "P" (or is that a "D"?) over it.  It looks like eSATA to me but the laptop isn't supposed to have eSATA so I just want to make sure.

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/SpIk3y24/IMG_0782.jpg

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/SpIk3y24/IMG_0784.jpg
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
Look up the manual for the laptop online using the model number (or look in the actual printed manual, if you have it).
Jrdeacs
+22|5869

liquidat0r wrote:

Look up the manual for the laptop online using the model number (or look in the actual printed manual, if you have it).
this
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6614|internet
mine eSATA looks different   
jaymz9350
+54|6547
I would guess its the port for a docking station.  But the best bet to be sure is to look up the manual for it.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

It's not eSATA.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

It's a DisplayPort. My laptop has one too
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

max wrote:

It's a DisplayPort. My laptop has one too
That never seemed to take off as much as I thought it would. I guess HDMI kind of took over.
Defiance
+438|6641

Eh. HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI need to stay at a physical level. DP came about for the sake of a few upgrades to HDMI and DPCP. Why couldn't HDMI be developed further and made backwards compatible? Instead, users are required to buy new hardware because of changes to the software.

As an aside, why the hell is the DP port keyed twice? With the U shaped plug, there's only one way you can put it in. You don't need the angled corner; or vice versa.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Makes it easier to tell which way it's going in. I hate always having to guess with USB if I'm putting it in blindly.
Defiance
+438|6641

ghettoperson wrote:

Makes it easier to tell which way it's going in. I hate always having to guess with USB if I'm putting it in blindly.
If you're plugging any cord in blindly, there's a 50/50 chance you're going to have to swap it around. The corner is easier to see then the U plug but that only helps if you can see both the plug and cable.
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6643|A sunburnt country
Name that port? I'd go with Eric.

ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Defiance wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

If you're plugging any cord in blindly, there's a 50/50 chance you're going to have to swap it around. The corner is easier to see then the U plug but that only helps if you can see both the plug and cable.
Well not entirely blind. You know what I mean. You have your head stuck around the back of a computer and you can't make out what's going on, but you can see where it's gotta go, but not what's inside.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

ghettoperson wrote:

Defiance wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Well not entirely blind. You know what I mean. You have your head stuck around the back of a computer and you can't make out what's going on, but you can see where it's gotta go, but not what's inside.
For male plugs: If horizontal, USB logo almost always on top.  If vertical, from front of the PC, USB logo almost always on the right.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
I looked in the laptop manual and found that I have IEEE 1394 connector (it doesn't give any more detail, just says "1394 connector").  So I'm in the market for an external HDD that supports this.  I see on newegg that there is 1394a and 1394b. 

Google/wiki don't make this clear, so will a 1394b external HDD be compatible with my IEEE 1394 port?

EDIT:  My port is only a 4 pin so I believe the answer is no, it will not support 1394b.  This sucks, wish I had thought about this before buying this Lenovo with a 64GB SSD

Last edited by SpIk3y (2009-07-09 17:10:50)

GR34
+215|6515|ALBERTA> CANADA
Display port, apparently its going to take over HDMI. After reading the whole thread I realize I am Very Very late

Last edited by GR34 (2009-07-09 17:34:47)

Benzin
+576|5969

SpIk3y wrote:

I looked in the laptop manual and found that I have IEEE 1394 connector (it doesn't give any more detail, just says "1394 connector").  So I'm in the market for an external HDD that supports this.  I see on newegg that there is 1394a and 1394b. 

Google/wiki don't make this clear, so will a 1394b external HDD be compatible with my IEEE 1394 port?

EDIT:  My port is only a 4 pin so I believe the answer is no, it will not support 1394b.  This sucks, wish I had thought about this before buying this Lenovo with a 64GB SSD
Best as I recall, there aren't that many devices that support 1394b (aka Firewire B). A lot of camera stuff used to do A, but USB 2.0 came out and replaced it. Then B came out, but I think it was too expensive to make, even though it had the potential to be faster than USB 2.0 (Gb/s versus Mb/s) ... eSATA, IIRC though, is also rated at the speeds that 1394b is rated at. So perhaps eSATA pushed it out of the market.
Defiance
+438|6641

VspyVspy wrote:

Name that port? I'd go with Eric.

Eric the fish, Eric the cat, Eric the dog, Eric the bee?
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Don't get me started on MP!

And it's Eric the half-a-bee, who was bisected accidentally.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5969|The Mitten
D...P...

Display Port

..right?
EE (hats
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

SpIk3y wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw

Is that [MP] Monty Python or Michael Palin?

Both are great.

I used to do tech support for Michael Palin. Fixed several of his computers. Seemed a bloody nice chap.
Defiance
+438|6641

Bertster7 wrote:

SpIk3y wrote:

Both are great.

I used to do tech support for Michael Palin. Fixed several of his computers. Seemed a bloody nice chap.
The references would be to Monty Python.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey

Bertster7 wrote:

SpIk3y wrote:

Both are great.

WHAT!!??  YOU MET MICHAEL PALIN?  I'm gonna have to call bullshit, but if you really did... well I'd give my left nut just to see him in person.  Just looking at him makes me laugh.  Might be my favorite Python, but choosing a favorite is nearly impossible for me.  Did you "meet" any of the other pythons?
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA

GR34 wrote:

Display port, apparently its going to take over HDMI. After reading the whole thread I realize I am Very Very late
Just like HD DVDs are going to take over Blu Ray?  Oh wait...
Defiance
+438|6641

SpIk3y wrote:

Might be my favorite Python, but choosing a favorite is nearly impossible for me.
Since the OP question has been solved...

Nah, easy. Cleese.

/war

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard