Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA
Turkish Students Create Hydrogen-Powered 1300-MPG Car

Popular Science wrote:

In preparation for the inaugural Global Green Challenge across the Australian outback, a team of Turkish students have assembled a hydrogen-powered vehicle that has an efficiency of 568 kilometers per liter (roughly 1,335 mpg). In order to get across the outback, they hope to only use three liters of fuel in the vehicle, dubbed the SAHİMO.

The SAHİMO weighs 110 kg--a carbon fiber frame keeps the weight down--and the scary thing is that these Sakarya University students want to up the efficiency to 1,000 km/L.
Why the hell don't we have these on our highways now!!!  I know Obama killed the Hydrogen car, I don't know why.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6756|San Antonio, Texas

Harmor wrote:

I know Obama killed the Hydrogen car, I don't know why.
Gas tax revenue, duh.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5698|College Park, MD
It's pretty god damned tiny
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
Getting hit by a semi in that would be pretty painful.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6831|Kubra, Damn it!

Poseidon wrote:

You'd probably be dead before you felt anything.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
https://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3143/sahimo8.jpg

vs. a Smart Car:

https://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4277/smartcarjeff.jpg

Both are death traps.  But the Smart Car only gets 33/41 mpg...less than a Toyota Prius that gets 51/48 mpg.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

chittydog wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

You'd probably be dead before you felt anything.
Yeah, if you're lucky.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Which would you rather be caught dead in?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Harmor wrote:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3143/sahimo8.jpg

vs. a Smart Car:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4277/smartcarjeff.jpg

Both are death traps.  But the Smart Car only gets 33/41 mpg...less than a Toyota Prius that gets 51/48 mpg.
I think the smart car cost a little less than $170,000. .. there really isn't much in the way of details neither. At least not in the article you posted.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85
It is very difficult to build hydrogen tanks capable of the pressures needed to make hydrogen a viable alternative fuel, as hydrogen has such a low energy density.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
I'd rather get the Hybrid Milan than a Prius tbh.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/milan/technology.asp

Our family has a normal milan ('06) now and it's nice...but it only gets like 18 MPG.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It is very difficult to build hydrogen tanks capable of the pressures needed to make hydrogen a viable alternative fuel, as hydrogen has such a low energy density.
This.

seriously, people. Hydrogen is not viable, not least because it's so damned hard to liquefy.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
imortal
+240|6661|Austin, TX

Spark wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

This.

seriously, people. Hydrogen is not viable, not least because it's so damned hard to liquefy.
Except there are developing technologies that can chemically seperate hydrogen from water, using some strange alloy (I will try to look it up later).  This means that you can get hydrogen from water without electricity, and you can carry your hydrogen in a non-pressurized container in a crash-safe form. 

Of course, there are still a lot of issues with it, but the technology does exist.
Flaming_Maniac
The pressurized container/flammable gas is not a safety issue. As it is you drive around with 10-20 gallons of some very explosive stuff under your seat.

If I remember correctly, the hydrolysis helped, but still did not really solve the energy density issue.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6739|Reality
By weight, hydrogen has the highest energy density. The problem is, as FM says, is getting to be a liquid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Flaming_Maniac

Stubbee wrote:

By weight, hydrogen has the highest energy density. The problem is, as FM says, is getting to be a liquid.

...but who gives a fuck about weight when we're talking about cars. The problem is getting around having a tank that is the size of the car.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
2 things i don't get in this thread

a)Obama killed the hydro car?

b)the comparison between a smartcar and a prius.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

FatherTed wrote:

a) Obama Kills Hydrogen Car Funding

b) Prius gets better mpg and is safer (larger vehicle - you have a higher survivability)
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6641

Harmor wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

b) Prius gets better mpg and is safer (larger vehicle - you have a higher survivability)
wut if they made the semi trucks the size of those two little cars? eh lol or if they used some lighter material to build other trucks so during impact ones survivability is higher

Last edited by blademaster (2009-07-07 20:37:00)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Harmor wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

a) America =/= world. Germany and Japan both dabble in this tech, but it's slow progress with good reason rooted outside of politics.

b) So? a Ford Focus will return better MPG with better safety than a pickup truck - you're comparing apples and oranges. The Smartcar's main purpose isn't to be some super-eco car
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
13rin
+977|6475
Give me a good diesel any day..
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6388|Southern California

Harmor wrote:

Why the hell don't we have these on our highways now!!!
Safety, cost of product, consumer desires for comfort and practicality, requirements of real world driving conditions.

Next question?
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5593|Vacationland
When we use the most common way of making hydrogen, from fossil fuels, it's impact on our dependence on oil and greenhouse gases is the same as using gasoline for cars.  Now you can also get electricity from solar panels and use that to perform electrolysis on water to get the hydrogen, this method is much cleaner and eco friendly.
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

imortal wrote:

Spark wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

This.

Except there are developing technologies that can chemically seperate hydrogen from water, using some strange alloy (I will try to look it up later).  This means that you can get hydrogen from water without electricity, and you can carry your hydrogen in a non-pressurized container in a crash-safe form. 

Of course, there are still a lot of issues with it, but the technology does exist.
The seperation is probably the bit where technology will improve massively... but I still don't see any way to liquefy the damn stuff and make it useful as a fuel, cheaply.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Stubbee wrote:

...but who gives a fuck about weight when we're talking about cars. The problem is getting around having a tank that is the size of the car.
...which is highly explosive.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard