_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6512|Polish state of EU
I have a weird problem.
My C:\ partition is 156GB and according to Windows Explorer there is 'only' 27,8 GB space left, so all my files on C:\ should weight 128 GB (all according to W.E.) , but when i select all files (enabling option to show the hidden files and the important system ones), right click and select properties, all files weight 89 GB. The question is: the f-ck? Why is it such a difference?

https://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9922/thefuckq.jpg

EDIT: lol 1111 days

Last edited by _Dominiko_PL (2009-07-05 11:47:10)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6188|Winland

Windows doesn't count everything when you select all folders.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6533|Sammamish, WA
Aah yes, one of the many reasons why I'm now running XP again. Just wait for Windows 7 to come out and hopefully all will be well.

If that particular bun (Vista) had stayed in the oven another year it might have been passable, or perhaps it might never have existed and would have morphed into Windows 7. All it would have taken was one QC manager standing up against the pressure and saying "no, this isn't ready and is not a quality product." Sadly that didn't happen and Vista is the result. Enjoy.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2009-07-05 12:01:59)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6405|Finland

Just remove hibernation files and excess number of restorepoints with disk cleanup.

edit: and lol @^

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-07-05 12:06:07)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6712|Ireland | Monaghan

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Just remove hibernation files and excess number of restorepoints with disk cleanup.

edit: and LOL @^
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.

JdeFalconr wrote:

Aah yes, one of the many reasons why I'm now running XP again. Just wait for Windows 7 to come out and hopefully all will be well.

If that particular bun (Vista) had stayed in the oven another year it might have been passable, or perhaps it might never have existed and would have morphed into Windows 7. All it would have taken was one QC manager standing up against the pressure and saying "no, this isn't ready and is not a quality product." Sadly that didn't happen and Vista is the result. Enjoy.
Don't worry, I have enjoyed and I will enjoy Vista, good luck in upgrading to Win7 from your XP.

How to delete hibernation files? What files Windows doesn't count?
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6405|Finland

Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

And select hibernation files from the list and do cleanup.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6635|internet
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6533|Sammamish, WA

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

JdeFalconr wrote:

Don't worry, I have enjoyed and I will enjoy Vista, good luck in upgrading to Win7 from your XP.

Hey now I'm not sure what you're talking about,

Wow, I wish we all could be as cool as you use an obsolete OS. Learn your facts before you make yourself look foolish.
but all I was saying was that I didn't like how Vista fails to report the actual amount of space on the drive when looking in My Computer. That was something I personally found very annoying about the OS and so it was a point of frustration for me.

And yes I will enjoy upgrading to Windows 7, except that I wouldn't ever do a direct upgrade, that's more than a bit foolish. A clean install is the only way to go. But I'm looking forward to getting it as soon as it comes out and a M$ employee can hook me up from the company store. Given the performance improvements I've seen on my older hardware comparing XP to Vista I think it will be a welcome change. Thanks for the wish for good luck, though, that's kind of you. But I'm sure with my WHS file server I'll have no problem doing a clean install and reverting if something goes wrong.

Good luck on viewing your free space, in the meantime! I hope you can find a solution that works well for you.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2009-07-05 16:12:43)

jsnipy
+3,276|6513|...

turn that silly checkpoint stuff off also
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6352|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR

JdeFalconr wrote:

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

JdeFalconr wrote:

Wow, I wish we all could be as cool as you use an obsolete OS. Learn your facts before you make yourself look foolish.
but all I was saying was that I didn't like how Vista fails to report the actual amount of space on the drive when looking in My Computer. That was something I personally found very annoying about the OS and so it was a point of frustration for me.

And yes I will enjoy upgrading to Windows 7, except that I wouldn't ever do a direct upgrade, that's more than a bit foolish. A clean install is the only way to go. But I'm looking forward to getting it as soon as it comes out and a M$ employee can hook me up from the company store. Given the performance improvements I've seen on my older hardware comparing XP to Vista I think it will be a welcome change. Thanks for the wish for good luck, though, that's kind of you. But I'm sure with my WHS file server I'll have no problem doing a clean install and reverting if something goes wrong.

Good luck on viewing your free space, in the meantime! I hope you can find a solution that works well for you.
I don't like Vista either, but honestly, you are making yourself look foolish.
Give it up, the "XP is better than Vista" argument stopped being cool a lonnnng time ago
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
How to delete page file and restore points?
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6437|Amsterdam‫

ceslayer23 wrote:

JdeFalconr wrote:

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

Give it up, the "XP is better than Vista" argument stopped being cool a lonnnng time ago
iI you cant do vista. you are not skilled enough to handle a computer tbh.
That free space does not matter. In what aspect is XP better then vista?

Last edited by menzo (2009-07-06 02:46:15)

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6405|Finland

You can turn off restorepoints from Control Panel -> System -> System Protection

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-07-06 02:52:57)

CrazeD
+368|6664|Maine

menzo wrote:

ceslayer23 wrote:

JdeFalconr wrote:

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

iI you cant do vista. you are not skilled enough to handle a computer tbh.
That free space does not matter. In what aspect is XP better then vista?
Performance.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6454|cuntshitlake

Performance, compatibility, and (I'm going to get shat on because I say this) stability. That said I am moving on to Vista as well asap.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6405|Finland

well my own experience is that CF and SLi ran better, and even single ATi, ran better on Vista, so what kinda performance lulz ya are talking about.

+ haven't found single compatibility issue yet.

e. and could use settings that really benefit from having raw power too, not just knowing they are there but can't use them because of XP.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-07-06 04:00:58)

SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6130|New Jersey

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

well my own experience is that CF and SLi ran better, and even single ATi, ran better on Vista, so what kinda performance lulz ya are talking about.

+ haven't found single compatibility issue yet.

e. and could use settings that really benefit from having raw power too, not just knowing they are there but can't use them because of XP.
Truth.  I made the switch from XP to Vista and never looked back.  Don't know what everyone is bitching about, Vista seems better in every way.  Most likely, problem lies between keyboard and chair.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6188|Winland

Unless your computer is <Pentium 4 class, there is no point in running XP over Vista. Vista had some quirks when it was released, yes, but most of those have been resolved long ago. The only one that remains is the somewhat poor control panel UI, but the advantages vastly outweigh that.

Most people who argue about XP being superior are those who tried Vista when it was new, realized that it was bad (which it truly was), and never went back.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
utchin
+8|5905
Stfu about the unrelated posts..

Does the registry have any play on this, like the size of it, as far as i know windows explorer dosnt cover the registry.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard