ReDevilJR
+106|6344
While most are aware of the fact that you can pre-order Windows 7 until July 11th, I was wondering how that process worked.

I currently have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and I wasn't sure whether the "upgrade" freshly installs over Vista, or if it transfers over what it needs from the 7 Disc to make it "7".

Also, If I purchased Vista over 2 years ago, does the $50 upgrade price to 7 work still? (Assuming I buy it before July 11tth)

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2009-06-28 11:37:26)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6749|Scotland

Interesting question. I think the "upgrade" option will keep all your files, but not anything else. It might keep programs as well, but don't take that for granted.

I would always do a fresh install though. Much much better. Back everything up and then just do a fresh install. Most programs you can get again, so it shouldn't really be a problem. I still have 57 DVDs of my last backup because I had no extra HDD
ReDevilJR
+106|6344
That's what I was thinking, so $199 for the Windows 7 Home version then? It just better be worth it, lol.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6132|New Jersey
I'm pretty sure the upgrade will make a folder on your C Drive called "Windows.Old" with all of your program files, documents, music, etc.  You'll still have to reinstall the programs though.  And it's always smart to do your own backup in case Windows misses something important and doesn't save it in the Windows.Old folder.

Last edited by SpIk3y (2009-06-28 14:13:27)

Racoon_Flyer
+10|5927|Cambridge, UK
A fresh install of Windows 7 will create a windows.old folder if it finds any other files to do with a preivous version of windows on your hard drive.
GR34
+215|6538|ALBERTA> CANADA
whats the 64-bit called
ReDevilJR
+106|6344
Windows 7 offers both 64 and 32 bit operating systems in each pack. So there's no specific 32 or 64 bit OS's to buy.

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2009-06-28 15:55:09)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone

ReDevilJR wrote:

Windows 7 offers both 64 and 32 bit operating systems in each pack. So there's no specific 32 or 64 bit OS's.
my Vista Business offers it too
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
signa
~~~~~
+50|6721|Michigan, USA

ReDevilJR wrote:

Also, If I purchased Vista over 2 years ago, does the $50 upgrade price to 7 work still? (Assuming I buy it before July 11tth)

Thank you for your help.
anyone can buy this win7 upgrade for that price.  you don't need to own a previous copy of windows.

and you can do a clean install with it using the same workaround they did with vista.

this site has lots of answers:
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs … fault.aspx
GR34
+215|6538|ALBERTA> CANADA
I am going to buy Windows 7 it seems like its worth it
ReDevilJR
+106|6344

signa wrote:

ReDevilJR wrote:

Thank you for your help.
anyone can buy this win7 upgrade for that price.  you don't need to own a previous copy of windows.

and you can do a clean install with it using the same workaround they did with vista.

this site has lots of answers:
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs … fault.aspx
"The answer, I'm told, is ... Yes. You can perform a clean install of Windows 7 with the Upgrade media, as you could with Windows Vista."

So would that clean install be straight forward then I'm assuming?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard