JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6535|Sammamish, WA
So I think I've figured out a great way for us to finally calculate bullet drop for weapons. It would require some custom mapping but should be easily doable.

We would need to create a custom map that's essentially a large, flat plane. One end would have a series of raised platforms with ladders (or ramp) with overhangs allowing you to be at the same point (X-Y) on each platform.. The other end would have a series of large poles at regular, increasing distance and height intervals (i.e. one at 50ft, one at 100ft, one at 150ft, etc.). Each pole would be marked with hash marks that begin corresponding to the altitude of the shooter on the platform on the opposite end of the course. The hash-marks would go downward. The idea is that a shooter would fire from the platforms, each at the exact same X-Y coordinate but at a different altitude each time, that altitude corresponding to the zero-measurement on the corresponding pole at the other end of the course.

The amount of bullet drop would then be measurable for each weapon and X-Y coordinates would yield a parabolic curve to calculate exact bullet drop.

Here's a poor MSPaint picture of my idea:
https://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/JdeFalconr/course-1.jpg

Has something like this been done before? I searched and saw no topics on this on BF2S but I can't believe I'm the first to come up with this idea.

EDIT: included better picture

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2009-06-23 12:57:13)

SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6404|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
I think the guys from the Wookie clan had done something along those lines, and they incorporated it into the sniper mod.
JdeFalconr
+72|6535|Sammamish, WA
OK, but that begs the question, why in the world has no specific data on bullet drop been gathered? It sounds like the means to do it is already out there.
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5860|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I think a lot of people dont look to deep into it because it doesnt make much difference, your not going to sit down with a calculator when you snipe you just guess how far above the head to aim and it normally works out well
Im not taking the piss because it's interesting to learn how it works with the games physics but I just don't see the use of the calculations when playing a game- and that's what the games about isnt it? lol
thepilot91
+64|6229|Åland!
it' be really good to know how much bullet drop you have but very hard to use in gameplay since you always have just a "clue" of how far you target is and not the exact number aswell as you dont have any bars showing you where to aim , exept counting pixels and thats ....kinda lame if you'rent a guy who love looking at paint dry I don't say it's not worth doing because it'd be intersting seeing the results but im not that intrested that I'll do it myself
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6346|West NY
the above two posts.

Really, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6642|Washington DC

Although some of the links are dead ... here's the information that you probably want:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=650553#p650553
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride
+139|5419|Dublin, Ireland
Or, you could just go in a server and practice long range sniping and figure it out after 20 minutes.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6319|England
Bullet drop doesn't start till 150m. From then, you raise your crosshair another two pixels for every 50 metres. Or something like that. I just use Herbals method. Shoot, and adjust if no hit.
Rofl_My_Waffle
+11|6684
bullet drop is insignificant and I snipe max viewing range all the time.
L.Sammy
+5|5631|Ireland
Why dont you just beg EA to give you the details?
JdeFalconr
+72|6535|Sammamish, WA

OrangeHound wrote:

Although some of the links are dead ... here's the information that you probably want:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=650553#p650553
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!

While I agree that this information is really almost purely academic I find it very useful. If you can figure out how to make rough guesses on range-to-target then this can be useful information.
Fateless
+36|6235|Jennifer Connellys Pants
You best bet would be to contact WOoKie Scouty. He's looked into it a lot and is also the creator of the WOoKie Sniper Mod. You can contact him on the WOoKie forums or via xfire....though im not sure he'd want me to post it! PM me and i'll make sure its fine to give it out.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6639

Rofl_My_Waffle wrote:

bullet drop is insignificant and I snipe max viewing range all the time.
Not all of us play tiny IO maps. It is indeed significant on larger maps.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6149|Vancouver | Canada
If I recall correctly, it was something like:
100m: Aim at head.
150m: Aim at crown of head.
200m: Aim one tick (or a half..?) higher (L96)
..Or something.

There's a Sniper guide on YouTube somewhere that shows the correct compensation for each distance.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2009-06-25 18:44:19)

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria
Actually, since BF2 is supposed to be a teamwork-based game it should continue like this:

300m: call in artillery strike

Longbow
+163|6639|Odessa, Ukraine

globefish23 wrote:

Actually, since BF2 is supposed to be  a teamwork-based game it should continue like this:

Key word

Last edited by Longbow (2009-06-26 07:55:51)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5743|شمال

Oisín<3 wrote:

Or, you could just go in a server and practice long range sniping and figure it out after 20 minutes.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5860|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ

Longbow wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Actually, since BF2 is supposed to be  a teamwork-based game it should continue like this:

Key word
Who said it's supposed to be teamwork based? You have 2 teams and you can do what you want, if you want to be in a squad you can if you want to be a lone wolf you can.
People who spot and shoot from a distance are actually useful to your team anyway
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6149|Vancouver | Canada

globefish23 wrote:

Actually, since BF2 is supposed to be a teamwork-based game it should continue like this:

Yeah, use that artillery on the lone soldier capping your flag! That's what it's for!

Either that, or bombarding the airfield.

I mean honestly, calling in artillery on a group of tanks is just stupid.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5501|America
Yeah I mean every commander artys the lone sniper anyway right?
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
RotorBlade00
+7|5693|Australia
no u drop cars on teh lone snipers.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5501|America
OIC makes so much more sense now.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard