blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616
https://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3271/87852579.jpg
Indians form the second-largest group of overseas students in Australia

Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith on Thursday condemned a wave of attacks on Indian students in Melbourne after the latest assault left a 25-year-old fighting for his life.

Indian student Sravan Kumar Theerthala was stabbed with a screwdriver early Sunday morning when a group of teenagers gatecrashed a party he was attending in the suburbs of Australia's second largest city.He remains in intensive care at the Royal Melbourne Hospital following the attack, in which police said other men were also assaulted.

It was the latest in a series of attacks on students from the sub-continent which has prompted authorities here to set up a help line where victims can report incidents to Hindi and English-speaking operators."I'm appalled by these attacks and I condemn them absolutely," Smith said in a statement to AFP."Australia takes very seriously its reputation as a safe destination for Indian students."

However, Victoria state police estimate Indians make up 30 percent of robbery victims in Melbourne's western suburbs, where many of the students live.But police have played down any racial motive for the attacks, saying the Indian students, who often work late shifts to support their studies, were often in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A police media statement issued on the day of the Theerthala attack made no mention of the victim's Indian background and portrayed the incident as a simple clash between partygoers.

Federation of Indian Students in Australia (FISA) president Amit Menghani said earlier this month that he had no doubt there was a racial element to recent attacks.

"Discrimination is always there," Menghani said.

"Indian students are being targeted and attacked. The level of crime is increasing and it's a concern for the student community."

He said Indian students were seen as easy targets because "we're humble people and we don't carry any weapons".

But Menghani said Indians would examine studying elsewhere if they did not feel safe in Australia. The violence has already prompted headlines such as "Australia land of racism" in Indian online media.

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard this week said she would meet with students to discuss the issue."I want to send a message loud and clear that international students are very welcome in this nation and Australia will not tolerate discrimination against or victimization of any of our international students."
google news

Why do the attacks keep occurring in Aussie land? Is it racism? or simply the fact that Indians are too nice as stated in the article? or is it because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time? What do u guys think? But the problem is already stirring up and Aussie land is being called "the land of the racism"? Should something be done to protect the Indian people in Aussie land? like req. each Indian to carry a gun or something along those lines?
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6391|Melbourne, AUS
disgraceful isn't it? absolutely disgraceful. The bogans we get over here....

But I don't totally get why Indians are targeted in particular? Is it just because they seem to live in more shitty suburbs or? There are plenty of other overseas students around - even I could be mistaken for one.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6361

Personally I think there's plenty of racism in Australia still, but it depends where you look - Melbourne's eastern suburbs are generally fine.

Anywhere with poverty comes ignorance.  On the other hand, it's not nearly as bad as Germany with their Turkish population.

EDIT:  From hearsay, apparently the indian uni students tend to be quite well off (as in visibly wealthy), and I suppose to a bogan this can be perceived as unfair.  I mean, even in the picture in the OP he's showing a blackberry.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2009-05-28 15:25:40)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Gooners is Indian? Man I'm never going to be able to take that dude seriously again...

Also, what's with the Blackberry?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616

ghettoperson wrote:

Gooners is Indian? Man I'm never going to be able to take that dude seriously again...

Goonerz is awsm <3
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6298

ghettoperson wrote:

didn't u know? No photo of an Indian dude in his mid 30's can be taken without one.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

maffiaw wrote:

There are plenty of other overseas students around - even I could be mistaken for one.
I'm gonna take a shot and go with - Visible Minority
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

ghettoperson wrote:

Gooners is Indian? Man I'm never going to be able to take that dude seriously again...?
WTF???  Are you serious?  My Indian co-workers and friends are often the most serious folks I know...

As for the Blackberry, it's the image of success.  Girls often flirt with me because I have a Blackberry and a Windows PDA.  It partly could be  because I'm Asian and dress nicely, but I'm not even close to being handsome.

Last edited by Ilocano (2009-05-28 15:48:02)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK
I thought gooners was black...
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Ilocano wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Gooners is Indian? Man I'm never going to be able to take that dude seriously again...?
WTF???  Are you serious?  My Indian co-workers and friends are often the most serious folks I know...

As for the Blackberry, it's the image of success.  Girls often flirt with me because I have a Blackberry and a Windows PDA.  It partly could be  because I'm Asian and dress nicely, but I'm not even close to being handsome.
That's really not something you want to admit to dude... Do you wave it around at parties?

As for what I said about Gooners being Indian, I was joking. Admittedly it does completely change how I pictured him, but I never took him seriously in the first place.

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone
I heard Slovenians took power there
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

ghettoperson wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

That's really not something you want to admit to dude... Do you wave it around at parties?
It's a work Blackberry.  I work Corporate IT, so I always have to be available.  I have no choice but to whip it out when it starts buzzing.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I remember stories of heinous racism a few years ago when there was talk of a terrorist plot in Sydney.  Crowds beating up Lebanese I think.  Historically the Aussie government hasn't been to keen on different races either (native and nonnative), so it really doesn't surprise me.

I always thought Gooners was Middle Eastern
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I remember stories of heinous racism a few years ago when there was talk of a terrorist plot in Sydney.  Crowds beating up Lebanese I think.  Historically the Aussie government hasn't been to keen on different races either (native and nonnative), so it really doesn't surprise me./
Well, there was that genocide thing...  And hunting for sport.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6738

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I remember stories of heinous racism a few years ago when there was talk of a terrorist plot in Sydney.  Crowds beating up Lebanese I think.
there was a lot more to it than that
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
waitaminute.

AussieReapers from India?
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

lel
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

BN wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I remember stories of heinous racism a few years ago when there was talk of a terrorist plot in Sydney.  Crowds beating up Lebanese I think.
Feel free to fill me in...

ATG wrote:

waitaminute.

Obviously you didn't read the OP.  Of course that's nothing new to D&ST - it seems like no one reads OP links there. 

Or was it a lame attempt at a joke?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD

some_random_panda wrote:

I mean, even in the picture in the OP he's showing a blackberry.
having a smartphone != well-off

Although I know you guys get raped for everything in Australia, so it wouldn't surprise me if data plans down there cost like $80USD a month
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

BN wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Feel free to fill me in...

ATG wrote:

waitaminute.

Obviously you didn't read the OP.  Of course that's nothing new to D&ST - it seems like no one reads OP links there. 

Or was it a lame attempt at a joke?
Latter, I believe.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Indian =/= Muslim?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

I always thought Gooners was Egyptian.

But seriously, they are attacked because they are believed to be an easy target (a minority) who are not likely to go to the police. It's disgraceful, but your likely to see these sort of attacks anywhere in the world.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard