Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6662
I was looking at the game features listed in the sticky above and I came across this:

Battlefield 2142: Overview
Battlefield: 2142 takes place in the year 2142, where humans are struggling to survive on the remaining 25% of Earth that is inhabitable.

Release Date
+ Expected Fall (Autumn) 2006

Features
+ More details are expected to be revealed at this year's BF-CON (April 28-30, 2006) E3 (May 2006).
+ Uses the same core engine as Battlefield 2, with improved visual and physics engines.
+ Thanks to this, more time can be spent developing new weapons, vehicles, maps, etc..
+ Maps can provide ideal vehicle-to-player ratios.
+ Usable Toilets on the Battlefield  <----------------------------------------------------
+ More work has also been put into ensuring the game is balanced at release
+ Uses a similar squad system to that of Battlefield 2, but improved - for example squad leaders can now deploy a beacon which their squad-mates can spawn from, even if the leader dies
+ Parachutes are no-longer issued to troops - replacement is currently unknown
+ Grappling hooks and night vision (á la BF2: Special Forces) may be included - undecided
+ Expected to contain a new commander system, co-op mode (for teaming up against AI opponents) and possibly even an entirely new game-mode for the Battlefield series

Maps
+ Brand new locations and scenarios - set in the year 2142.
+ Most of the maps are based in North Africa (since this is where most of the remaining land is)

Teams and Classes
+ Players can play as the "American-European Alliance" (Continental America and most of Europe) or "Pan Asian Coalition" (made up of Russia, Middle East, India).
+ No Far East countries - possible add-on in the future?

Vehicles
+ Heavily influenced by futuristic sci-fi movies, such as Aliens.
+ Similar mix of vehicles as in previous Battlefield titles (tanks, APCs, transport, etc.), but with the addition of Mechs.
+ Mechs are armed with an anti-aircraft gun, TOW anti-tank rocket launchers, and anti-infrantry mini-guns on each arm
+ Other vehicles will be given more powerful weaponry to balance this out, such as EMP
+ Helicopters are replaced by blade-less hovering ships
+ Fighter jets are to be included, but details aren't yet known

Weapons
+ Although futuristic-looking, still based on current weapon technology on the whole (ordinary bullets).
+ EMP grenades to scramble vehicles' vision and reduce their speed
+ Number of new mines to use: Chaser (anti-tank)
+ Artillery will still be included
"Usable Toilets on the Battlefield"....wtf is this?

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2007-02-02 19:58:37)

Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6717
hey man, when you gotta go you gotta go...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Haven't you heard that Ageia was going to begin work on an Olfactory Processing Unit and Odor Emitters as soon as PhysX really takes off? Yes, you will be able to smell the farts of that one prone sniper who always edges in front of your face.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-24 22:09:47)

Defiance
+438|6687

I don't thinks it's april fools, we've got a week to go, but it might be some kind of joke.

Or an actual feature so you can go around killing people on the crapper.
tF-afrojap
+124|6863|SF
lol.. now they are calling this a feature.
Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6744|Madrid, Spain
Maybe you can place some C4 in the toilet... but keep away from the explosion ughhhhh
scorps
+2|6638
DO you think the game will take so long to join games with this game ?
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6809|Jupiter

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Haven't you heard that Ageia was going to begin work on an Olfactory Processing Unit and Odor Emitters as soon as PhysX really takes off? Yes, you will be able to smell the farts of that one prone sniper who always edges in front of your face.
LMFAO!
asbad
+19|6737|Ireland
Could you give me a link of that, im not sure i can quite believe it........
Y0URDAD
I'ma Eat Yo Children!
+17|6661|Annapolis, MD
Well when you log on to battlefield 2, there is a popup that links to its announcement.
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6758|United Kingdom

EA wrote:

Community Update - 3/21/06

Hi BF fans,

Today we have some really big news to share with you. The more sniper-eyed of you out there will probably already know, but we're currently hard at work developing "Battlefield 2142", which is scheduled for release this Autumn. As you'll have guessed, this is a departure for the BF series as we're going into the future - something that a lot of you wanted to see happen in the BF universe. We're creating a ton of cool features that you won't have seen in any BF before, including cloaking devices, mines that follow you, awesome new rifles, guns and grenades, and of course, MECHS! We're developing this here in DICE Stockholm while the DICE Canada studio will be hard at work on a 1.3 update for Battlefield 2, as well as the Armoured Fury Booster Pack.

There'll be an "official" press release later on this week but we know that you guys need to know first. Stay tuned and we'll keep you posted on how 2142 is coming along.

The BF2142 Team

P.S. Snoken - vi har sett fram emot Mine 2 och kan lugnt säga att vi inte blev besvikna!
Mechs. I wanna play it. Closest thing we'll be getting to a Mechwarrior for a while :p

Also, I wanna know what the P.S. Snoken is all about
Janysc
+59|6700|Norway

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

EA wrote:

P.S. Snoken - vi har sett fram emot Mine 2 och kan lugnt säga att vi inte blev besvikna!
Mechs. I wanna play it. Closest thing we'll be getting to a Mechwarrior for a while :p

It says:

"Snoken - we have been looking forward for Mine 2 and can safely say that we were not disappointed."

A bit unsure about the last word, but that's basicly its meaning anyway.
staticblue
Vindicator
+28|6752|Houston, TX
If they posted it on April Fool's maybe but, uh..it still march.

Why do you insist on make threads out of these "type" of topics Fancy?
Devolant
+3|6653|Sweden

Janysc wrote:

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

EA wrote:

It says:

"Snoken - we have been looking forward to Mine 2 and can safely say that we were not disappointed."

A bit unsure about the last word, but that's basicly its meaning anyway.
That's the only thing I can think of, for > to.'

But damn good translation for being done by a norwegian

Last edited by Devolant (2006-03-25 04:12:17)

Speelbal
+146|6768|Netherlands
This can't be real. Battlefield 2 isnt released that long ago. Including the expansion and booster packs.  It would be stupid to release a total new game, related to bf2 tho. They would lose a lot of money just because they have released a booster pack not that long ago.

I think it's nonsense.
TodErnst
It's not a bug, it's a feature
+38|6645|Muenster, Germany
Usable toilets are a good reason to play that game,
so u don't have to stand up during u are playing it.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6805|Singapore

tF-afrojap wrote:

lol.. now they are calling this a feature.
Hail
k9transfer
+22|6674
I have a buddy at EA, the inclusion of the field porta potty was because they received so many whining emails about players stepping in piles of human feces on the strike at karkand map.  This is supposed to be a little bit more "player-friendly", thus they are trying to handle all complaints from bf2 before release. 

Side note: The only actual weapon which will be ported directly over from bf2 to 2142 will be the PKM, since it is already futuristic in its ridiculous rate of fire, damage, and accuracy.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6778

k9transfer wrote:

Side note: The only actual weapon which will be ported directly over from bf2 to 2142 will be the PKM, since it is already futuristic in its ridiculous rate of fire, damage, and accuracy.
And all your massive time playing support makes you an expert on the PKM.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6805|Singapore

Lol
k9transfer
+22|6674
Some people have absolutely no sense of humor, none.
NoS
karma padder
+13|6643|UK
"Mechs are armed with an anti-aircraft gun, TOW anti-tank rocket launchers, and anti-infrantry mini-guns on each arm"

...mine...mine.....
Speelbal
+146|6768|Netherlands
See. 3 kinds of weapons. Surface to Surface, Surface to Air, Surface to .. well..surface. Those mechs will be too strong for the game .

I dont believe this game is for real. !!!!!! !! YEAH!!! NO YEAH!!!! ...
Home
Section.80
+447|6864|Seattle, Washington, USA

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

+ Usable Toilets on the Battlefield
+ Uses a similar squad system to that of Battlefield 2, but improved - for example squad leaders can now deploy a beacon which their squad-mates can spawn from, even if the leader dies
Vehicles
+ Heavily influenced by futuristic sci-fi movies, such as Aliens.

+ Mechs are armed with an anti-aircraft gun, TOW anti-tank rocket launchers, and anti-infrantry mini-guns on each arm
These are the reasons I think it's fake. Firstly, as said before, toilets?!?

For the squad thing: If you could just basically put a spawn point wherever you wanted it would ruin the point of the game. You're supposed to capture all the spawn points, but with this feature it would be impossible.

By saying heavily influenced they're kind of saying that they couldn't come up with their own ideas so they copied the ideas from "Aliens". I doubt EA would admit this.

They have got to realize that a mech that strong is RIDICULOUS.
Rick_Biessman
+4|6793|Germany

Homeschtar wrote:

For the squad thing: If you could just basically put a spawn point wherever you wanted it would ruin the point of the game. You're supposed to capture all the spawn points, but with this feature it would be impossible.
Just cap all flags and kill the rest, like in BF2.
No flag left -> NO spawn on squad leader available.

The change in BF 2142 will probably be that the squad leader HAS to deploy the spawn point and isn't it hisself. New tactics required ...

A gag? On an official site and ingame? Don't think so, since I saw already a trailer of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard