BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6738
Started October 2001.

Mission: Capture Osama bin Laden, destroy al-Qaeda, and remove the Taliban regime which had provided support and safe harbor to al-Qaeda.

What the hell is going on there? Why inst it completed?

If you haven't completed this mission by now you have to think: Maybe its unattainable with the current numbers, rethink whole strategy and objectives or time to head home.

55,520 troops is clearly not enough.

Staff Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mullen stated that "my priorities . . . Focus on Iraq first. Focus on Afghanistan second."

That statement say is all really.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5545|The Wild West
primary mission had nothing to do with bin laden
GR34
+215|6515|ALBERTA> CANADA
come 2011 Canada is pulling out so the us will go it alone(I think the UK is as well). we should pull out sooner because of the bad economic times it would be better if we were not spending that money.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

GR34 wrote:

come 2011 Canada is pulling out so the us will go it alone(I think the UK is as well). we should pull out sooner because of the bad economic times it would be better if we were not spending that money.
NATO mission with Australian involvement, along with Tonga (or maybe that was Iraq, idk) and a few other Pacific countries too.

Try again.

Why hasn't 'the mission' been accomplished? It's Afghanistan (I don't think anybody's ever successfully occupied the place) and the Pakistani boarder wont close.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
BVC
+325|6665
Bases are needed for the potential invasion of Pakistan, should they cuddle up too much with the Taleban?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Pubic wrote:

Bases are needed for the potential invasion of Pakistan, should they cuddle up too much with the Taleban?
wat?

I thought they were just ignoring all the camps along the boarder and in the tribal areas.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Primary mission wasn't to capture/kill UBL. It was to ensure AFG was no longer a safe haven for terrorists. That has been accomplished.

Everything else since about 2002 has been about building a functional, representative government there...basically ensuring that the primary mission stays accomplished.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-03-20 03:27:21)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Primary mission wasn't to capture/kill UBL. It was to ensure AFG was no longer a safe haven for terrorists. That has been accomplished.
By letting them move to the safe haven that is Pakistan?
What happened to the 'bring me Bin Laden dead or alive' order? Was that just another smokescreen?

Bush didn't want the AQ leadership captured, if they were caught he'd have no excuse to go after Iraq.

Even if you were right about the objective - which would be a new beginning for you - its hardly been 'accomplished', with the bulk of Afghanistan lawless and the rest bound to revert as soon as the US leaves.

The training thing is barely an issue, 9/11 could have been planned and rehearsed in any hotel room - don't really need desert for that, the flight training was done in the US, not sure whats been achieved exactly.

Changing the objective after the event to turn a failure into a success is nothing new BTW.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

By letting them move to the safe haven that is Pakistan?
What happened to the 'bring me Bin Laden dead or alive' order? Was that just another smokescreen?

Bush didn't want the AQ leadership captured, if they were caught he'd have no excuse to go after Iraq.
/facepalm
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Man With No Name wrote:

i can confirm this.  i was there.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

usmarine wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

You mean you weren't going there to "smoke him out".
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Braddock wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

no.  this wasnt a where's waldo game.

can you explain to me why you guys only listen to, believe, or quote politicians when it servers your argument?  then they are full of shit when they dont?  that happens on this site way too often and i dont get it.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6153|Ireland

usmarine wrote:

Braddock wrote:

usmarine wrote:

no.  this wasnt a where's waldo game.

can you explain to me why you guys only listen to, believe, or quote politicians when it servers your argument?  then they are full of shit when they dont?  that happens on this site way too often and i dont get it.
Ahhhhh, you were part of code name " Secure Bush a second term ".  So bush got re-elected, haji got virgins, new york liberals got coffee, and you got target practice.  Thanks for your service.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

i dont know what everyones reasons were.  i was there for revenge.  simple as that.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال

usmarine wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

What was the mission then?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6153|Ireland

usmarine wrote:

i dont know what everyones reasons were.  i was there for revenge.  simple as that.
Hope u got some for me too.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Beduin wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

kill or capture the taliban and their supporters.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال

usmarine wrote:

Beduin wrote:

usmarine wrote:

You soldiers knew back then that you were not after OBL? 
Couldn't you see that you will enter an infinite loop? I mean... US and collation are still "killing", right? and they will continue killing... for many years?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Beduin wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Beduin wrote:

You soldiers knew back then that you were not after OBL? 
Couldn't you see that you will enter an infinite loop? I mean... US and collation are still "killing", right? and they will continue killing... for many years?
i am not special forces.  they dont send an infantry company after one man.  thats for seals and such.
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5545|The Wild West

Beduin wrote:

Couldn't you see that you will enter an infinite loop?
lol?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

usmarine wrote:

That's weird, that's what the 9/11 hijackers were after too... maybe y'all would have gotten along, shame.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Braddock wrote:

usmarine wrote:

That's weird, that's what the 9/11 hijackers were after too... maybe y'all would have gotten along, shame.
ok?
rdx-fx
+955|6561

Man With No Name wrote:

USMarine wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Everything else since about 2002 has been about building a functional, representative government there...basically ensuring that the primary mission stays accomplished.
So, unless SgtHeihn wants to chime in here, I think all the BF2S regulars that would have firsthand knowledge have pretty much said the same thing a few different ways for you all.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

rdx-fx wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

USMarine wrote:

FEOS wrote:

So, unless SgtHeihn wants to chime in here, I think all the BF2S regulars that would have firsthand knowledge have pretty much said the same thing a few different ways for you all.
But they're pesky facts, pesky facts have no place!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

rdx-fx wrote:

You think they tell the grunts anything of value?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard