Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6202|14072
Cnn Student News puts it into a good perspective.. http://edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/stud … nnSTCVideo
bad-man
now say you sorry
+34|5858|one windy city

Ioan92 wrote:

Finray wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Alot of wasted paper tbh
One trillion dollars... one trillion/100 notes...

OR

One trillion dollar cheque... one note

Spoiler (highlight to read):
inb4check
or one trillion dollars in 1 dollar bills

Spoiler (highlight to read):
wat
or 10,000,000.00 of these babies

https://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3922/us100000dollarsbillobve.jpg

Last edited by bad-man (2009-03-10 17:41:37)

rdx-fx
+955|6601
If $10,000 is roughly 0.5" in height - $1 Trillion is a stack of $100 bills 789 MILES tall.

Or, if changed into $20 bills, a stack 2589 miles long.  Sufficient to make a path from New York to Nevada.

Or, about $9203 per household in the USA.  (281,421,906 people, 2.59 people per household per 2000 census).

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-03-10 17:46:35)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6717|67.222.138.85

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Why?  The key to getting out of debt is paying it off.
The idea that someone could have such little perspective that they can't comprehend the value of a dollar without actually touching it is depressing. The fact that this demonstration had to be made is an extension of the same depressing fact.
Knowing the value of a dollar (or hard work) isn't the same as spending more than you earn.  Plenty of people comprehend the value of a dollar and willingly spend more than they earn.  "Using plastic" is generally thought of as using credit - not using a number directly related to their own labor (as in the bottom line in a person's checking account).

The demonstration in the OP is of little relation - politicians wantonly spending money that isn't theirs because they aren't held accountable by the people they are supposed to serve.  The pictures in the link just put it in perspective because people are used to handling cash - they can relate to it.
I don't mean understand the value of a dollar in the sense that your parents are telling you to go get a job, I mean they physically can't understand their money going out the door without the physical dollars leaving their wallets. People get in trouble using credit cards, but the idea of not even realizing how much they are spending because apparently they suck at math applies to debit cards as well.

The demonstration in the OP is showing the magnitude of a trillion dollars, because people can't even begin to comprehend orders of magnitude without it being shoved in front of their face.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6683|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Shit thats mental.

I thought it was a thread about one note from Zimbabwe, glad it wasnt thats mad that is

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard