blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
some people would disagree

DailyTech recently detailed studies which have argued that "textisms", which include shortenings, contractions, acronyms, symbols and non-conventional spellings, are becoming a language of their own.  Now a new study shows that, despite public fears that texting is destroying children's language skills it actually is having beneficial effects.

Dr. Beverley Plester, the lead author of the report and senior lecturer at Coventry University, states, "The alarm in the media is based on selected anecdotes but actually when we look for examples of text speak in essays we don't seem to find very many."

Texting helps children as it exposes them to a variety of words, she says.  She continues, "The more exposure you have to the written word the more literate you become and we tend to get better at things that we do for fun.  What we think of as misspellings, don't really break the rules of language and children have a sophisticated understanding of the appropriate use of words."

The study looked at 88 children age between the ages of 10 to 12.  It asked them to generate text messages describing 10 different scenarios.  The study showed that children who regularly texted showcased a richer vocabulary, the ability to better express thoughts in writing, and were aware of the proper spelling of the words they were shortening in most cases.  The children were also given traditional schoolwork and again the texting students showed an edge.

source
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
Or you could just read a book.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Fuck off it does. Now they can't even spell cause they don't use fucking vowels, let alone "improved language skills".

brb flpn brgrs.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Cheez wrote:

Fuck off it does. Now they can't even spell cause they don't use fucking vowels, let alone "improved language skills".

brb flpn brgrs.
k m8 ttyl. mb cum 4 sum beer k at urs.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615

DefCon-17 wrote:

Or you could just read a book.
yeah rly lol
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I also find this hard to believe. If your not practicing the language properly how can you be expected to excel? I don't do math incorrectly and say I've improved simply becuase of the amount of shitty math I do.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Flecco wrote:

Cheez wrote:

brb flpn brgrs.
I'll cum in your burger <3
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I'm sure these people would love Newspeak, because it's "easier" and gets rid of all those pesky synonyms.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
rite
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

Cybargs wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Cheez wrote:

brb flpn brgrs.
mayonnaise
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6734|d
liez
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Cybargs wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Cheez wrote:

brb flpn brgrs.
Cybargs did you see the thread about the Taiwanese scientists who proved that all people who are addicted to the internets are psychopathic killers?
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah
They do not account for all the texting while driving fags that cause car crashes.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

The#1Spot wrote:

They do not account for all the texting while driving fags that cause car crashes.
What? Children ages 10-12 do not drive. At least not in Canada.

I'll leave the plethora of other problems with this statment to the more informed members.

Last edited by Pochsy (2009-03-01 18:40:10)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Spot I know a dude who flipped his Dad's car doing that. Nearly killed his best mate (mate was in passenger seat without a seatbelt... ).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard