Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
And I'm not talking just about retarded teenagers.

I saw an advert, and I quote..
Get da 1st eva mob drama FREE u cud win an Xbox360 Live Prem Gold!!
I mean, sure, they have the language right for the audience they're aiming it at eh...

Why go out of your way to use words like "dat" when "that" is actually easier and quicker to type? You use your right pointing finger for the H and your left for the two ts, and your left ring finger for the a. Makes typing "that" much more efficient than typing "dat"

I used to like Smarterchild. He talked with punctuation. And capital letters. And correct grammar. Perhaps his audience couldn't comprehend what he was saying in perfect English, (making a robot smarter than a human tbh) so they made him talk in text talk. "how r u 2day" without a question mark or anything. Ruined a brilliant project for me. I had to delete him out of general principle.

I ask people who talk like this, is this how they write essays in school? Is this how they phonetically talk? To which they answer no, so I ask why the fuck do you go out of your way to talk this way? And they usually don't have an answer.

Even if it does "save you time" it'll maybe save you, what, about half a second per sentence? Half a second for looking like a retard? Not worth it to be honest.

/badlystructuredrant.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6779|Great Brown North
because! you know... reasons and stuff

I've asked the same questions and have yet to get an answer.

Last edited by krazed (2009-02-28 11:01:43)

Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten
if u dnt like wat u see get ouf og the kitchn!
EE (hats
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6632

stfu finny it's the internet. Do you really expect people to speak like Uzique all the time?

Finray wrote:

I used to like Smarterchild. He talked with punctuation. And capital letters. And correct grammar. Perhaps his audience couldn't comprehend what he was saying in perfect English, (making a robot smarter than a human tbh) so they made him talk in text talk. "how r u 2day" without a question mark or anything. Ruined a brilliant project for me. I had to delete him out of general principle.
GG You talked to a fucking robot.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

I ask myself this question five times a day and I don't post a thread about it.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6626|Canada
only time i talk like that mostly is when txting. i need the shortened words to save up character space in long texts
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6565|England

Its text language, when they first came in, text messages could only be quite short in length, so people cut out letters.

I still use it (somewhat) on texts, but nowhere else
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten

Snake wrote:

Its text language, when they first came in, text messages could only be quite short in length, so people cut out letters.

...I have unlimited texts.... I use regular English.
EE (hats
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5716|Vancouver, BC, Canada

Morpheus wrote:

Snake wrote:

I have limited txts and I use regular english.

If my message doesn't fit, I reword it till it does.

And txt messages are as short in length now as they were in the beginning, 160 chars(on average)
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten

TheDonkey wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

Snake wrote:

I have limited txts and I use regular english.

If my message doesn't fit, I reword it till it does.

And txt messages are as short in length now as they were in the beginning, 160 chars(on average)
Yea, well most of mine aren't over 160 characters.

And if they are, they are well over 160, so compression is a moot point.
EE (hats
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5716|Vancouver, BC, Canada
And on top of all that, teaching T9 all the special layouts and crap for "faster" txt is a betch.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten

TheDonkey wrote:

And on top of all that, teaching T9 all the special layouts and crap for "faster" txt is a betch.
well, no... i use(d) it and I could send out readable (proper) messages pretty quick....
EE (hats
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644
some times I type d certain way since it requires less effort
blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5747|Croatia
I'm not against controlled usage of internet speak like lol,rofl,brb,inb4something,etc...But when people can't form a simple sentence makes me want to hit them in the face with a shovel
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6486|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
I feel stupid when I try to use it on texts, so I type it all out.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6390

I have a friend who talks like that online.

Unfortunately, when he does try to write a proper sentence, he usually gets it wrong.

In fact, he's not really my friend anymore.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England

Morpheus wrote:

Snake wrote:

Same, but I think I annoy people when I send 4 text-long messages
Wallpaper
+303|5993|The pool

some_random_panda wrote:

Unfortunately, when he does try to write a proper sentence, he usually gets it wrong.

Sieg heil!

I dont see why people type like that either, it seems like it would be harder. Leaving out ' , and . is OK (usually) but when you start leaving out 3/4 of your vowels it just becomes stupid.

Now that I think about it, maybe they say "dat" to make them feel black, cause you know, thats cool
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6272
You should see how chicks text here. Stupid fad.
SealXo
+309|6535
LoL u WaNt mI Gh3tt0 Bo0tAy!11!
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6684|Espoo, Finland

some_random_panda wrote:

I once got a text from my dad and he didn't end the sentense with a dot.
Haven't talked to him since.
gnot<3
Leave blank to use forum default.
+45|5554
this is teh enet finray, u will c retardz talk liek this, cuz theyre g4y, also its awsm...

not
phishman420
Banned
+821|5680
to piss off idiots like you
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6565|England

Morpheus wrote:

Snake wrote:

Try re-reading that bit...

Short of sending 2 text messages, my first phone had an 80 char limit IIRC (10 years ago ), so for the sake of putting a few extra letters and paying double the money, it got cut down.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6353|West NY

Finray wrote:

And capital letters. And correct grammar.
/badlystructuredrant.
...but you clearly don't.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard