1 x 350W PSU
1x 225W

Motherboards:
Asrock K7S41GX
ASUS a7v8x-x

GPU:
nvidea 400 thingy 64mb
and some other GPU with no name on it

Now the problem is: the PC seems to shut down with a cpu in the socket, with both motherboards.
The PSU's are ok, I've tested them. I even ripped out another 300W psu from a working PC I have lying around and the problem still occurs.
then ripped all the hardware out except the cpu's, problem still occurring.
swapped CPU's around, problem still there.
took the CPU out of the socket, but with the cpu fan still connected: fan keeps running.

Am I doing something wrong!?

Both cpu's/ motherboards can't be broken, I saw both CPU's working in one of the motherboards at my friends house a month back.
Ioan92
+337|5741
I' don't think ill nail it but...

It sounds to me like those CPUs are overheating. Did you apply thermal paste on the CPU before putting the heatsink on?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6472|The Twilight Zone

']['error.V2 wrote:

took the CPU out of the socket, but with the cpu fan still connected: fan keeps running.
Don't quite understand this part. Can you explain step-by-step what exactly did you do?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5832

Ioan92 wrote:

It sounds to me like those CPUs are overheating. Did you apply thermal paste on the CPU before putting the heatsink on?
ehm no .

When I saw the cpu's working at his place there was some old hard paste on the cpu's / heatsink, they worked fine. I removed the paste here though, but even without paste, the won't overheat that fast would they?

Maybe I'm wrong, this is my first experience with AMD.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6472|The Twilight Zone

']['error.V2 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

ehm no .

When I saw the cpu's working at his place there was some old hard paste on the cpu's / heatsink, they worked fine. I removed the paste here though, but even without paste, the won't overheat that fast would they?

heh they overheat extremely fast without the paste, depends how straight the cpu is. Always when taking the cooler off the cpu reapply the paste
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6433|Finland

OMG.

OMG.

OMG.

They DO overheat extremely fast without the paste!

Edit: Athlons don't even have heat spreaders so the cooling surface are is tiny.... now take a good look if you see physical damage on the core?

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-02-27 12:53:25)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6433|Finland

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-02-27 12:56:08)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Ioan92
+337|5741

']['error.V2 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

ehm no .

Without paste?! Of course they will. Central Processing Units will shut down if temperature gets over their limits.

Thermal paste is made to fill the gaps between the CPU and the Heatsink. Without it, there is poor heat transfer which leads to higher temperatures, temps that your CPU's won't like; causing them the shut down.

Last edited by Ioan92 (2009-02-27 13:02:29)

CrazeD
+368|6692|Maine
That's without a heatsink entirely...

Running without paste won't increase your temps that dramatically. Athlon XP's can get DAMN hot before they are in the danger zone.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6433|Finland

CrazeD wrote:

That's without a heatsink entirely...

Running without paste won't increase your temps that dramatically. Athlon XP's can get DAMN hot before they are in the danger zone.
I know but it was kinda related to this thread. what difference a heat spreader can have...

edit: and I have seen more than couple fried Athlons that were used without paste

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-02-27 14:12:44)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5807|Catherine Black
Three hundred and seventy FUCKING degrees?

And thanks, I've been looking for this video for aaaaaaages
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5832

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

OMG.

OMG.

OMG.

They DO overheat extremely fast without the paste!

Edit: Athlons don't even have heat spreaders so the cooling surface are is tiny.... now take a good look if you see physical damage on the core?

No I don't see any damage on the core, but i don't know where to look for either .
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6433|Finland

well you might have survived with a little scare. Try some p aste on it and see if its good to boot.

overheated core usually looks slightly more copper than a core that has run at decent temps all its lifetime.
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5832
Bought some paste: shit runs fine now .

Didn't knew that was so important on cpu's, I thought the cpu would only get like 10C warmer without thermal paste applied .
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6482|cuntshitlake

']['error.V2 wrote:

Didn't knew that was so important on cpu's, I thought the cpu would only get like 10C warmer without thermal paste applied .
Athlons are a different case. My E2180 booted to windows @ 3GHz just fine with basically no CPU cooler (The F7P only had about 1/4 contact to it). Heatspreader really makes a difference, besides athlons are indeed really hot fuckers.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2009-02-28 17:32:12)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6216|Winland

DeathUnlimited wrote:

']['error.V2 wrote:

Athlons are a different case.
To say the least.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6785|Cambridge (UK)
']['error - what an appropriate name you have...

• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Computer turns off in 1sec when CPU is in the socket :S

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard