Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

A random thought that I've been kicking around for awhile in my head.

The MPAA claims that Hollywood and movies are dying because of illegal downloading. I would say that maybe they are taking a small hit financial from downloading. A small hit that is easily recovered and made up for. But what do I really think has turned Hollywood into shit for the last several years?

TMZ, Access Hollywood, Perez Hilton 

With America's obsession with knowing every little detail about the lives of their stars we've thrown celebs into a panic. They must watch every step they take as to not offend anyone. As soon as they say or do something offensive they're career is done in most cases.

Reading about and hearing the stories of some celebs from the 20's, 30's, and 40's that shit wouldn't fly today. They would be blacklisted and protested.

Now think about some of the great actors and actresses from the time period I listed. Look into their lives and some of the info that came out about them after their deaths many years later. If TMZ was around back then that shit would be in the front papers.

Think of all the great movies and shows that could have been if it wasn't for us hounding and scaring all of our talent into taking the safe road for everything.

Just a thought, nothing more.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6565|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
oh god what are those stars going to do with all those millions they've made from endorsements, premieres and releases. not to mention ticket sales and such what.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

seymorebutts443 wrote:

oh god what are those stars going to do with all those millions they've made from endorsements, premieres and releases. not to mention ticket sales and such what.
Missed the point.

MacBeth wrote:

Think of all the great movies and shows that could have been if it wasn't for us hounding and scaring all of our talent into taking the safe road for everything.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

well, there's also the problem that none of these people actually are talented in the first place.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Miggle wrote:

well, there's also the problem that none of these people actually are talented in the first place.
This.

And if celebrities feel so hard done by, they still have mansions.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Miggle wrote:

Maybe but what about the talent we've lost and what about the talent that will never be shown because of fear of persecution on some level.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6495|South Florida
I would estimate the loss from pirating is HUGE.

FFS warez-bb is going to hit 1,000,000 registered users in a matter of days.

If i bought every single movie i've downloaded i would owe probly...... 150 movies worth over time so far.
15 more years! 15 more years!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Macbeth wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Maybe but what about the talent we've lost and what about the talent that will never be shown because of fear of persecution on some level.
What persecution are you talking about? Mel Gibson hates Jews. It's okay though cause he said sorry.

If that was a Govt. Official in America they'd be shunned by society and hit from pillar to post.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

MacBeth wrote:

More like think of all the great movies and shows that haven't come to fruition because Hollywood has been milking the same no-brain storylines and plot details for the last 20 years.  Plus, if it makes more than $150 million, you know there is a sequel coming.  Bottom line is that good movies (storyline, direction, actors, etc)  are few and far between, yet the Jews in Hollywood (that's a joke, faggots) keep pushing out crap like "Paul Blart Mall Cop" and Saw #47.

If someone goes to Hollywood to become rich and famous and they get their image dragged through the mud because of sites like TMZ I don't feel sorry for them.  No-talent hacks are a dime a dozen and the floodgates are wide open.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2009-02-19 21:50:53)

OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6619|Washington DC

Macbeth wrote:

The MPAA claims that Hollywood and movies are dying because of illegal downloading.
I would rather think that it is because the movies made these days are unoriginal, predictable, and require minimal acting (mostly CG "wow" stuff). 

For example, look at these top movies made in 1993, several of which were groundbreaking or (at a minimum) very well done ... a couple are classics:

Jurassic Park (1993)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
The Fugitive (1993)
The Firm (1993)
Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Indecent Proposal (1993)
In the Line of Fire (1993)
The Pelican Brief (1993)
Schindler's List (1993)

Now, let's look at the list from 2008:

The Dark Knight (2008)
Iron Man (2008)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
Hancock (2008)
WALL·E (2008)
Kung Fu Panda (2008)
Twilight (2008/I)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008)
Quantum of Solace (2008)
Horton Hears a Who! (2008)

Basically, 2008 produces a bunch of cartoons and some mostly CG movies ... entertaining, but not exactly classic stuff.  Hollywood needs a face-lift.

edit:  looks like I posted the same thought as KEN-JENNINGS.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Miggle wrote:

What persecution are you talking about? Mel Gibson hates Jews. It's okay though cause he said sorry.

If that was a Govt. Official in America they'd be shunned by society and hit from pillar to post.
He said sorry but there is still a huge amount of people who call to boycott his films after that incident and The Passion of the Christ. Every movie he makes now he could never have any negative Jewish character because people will screw racism at him. Mel from this point forward will be looked at differently regardless of his actual talent.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6102

OrangeHound wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Hollywood needs a face-lift.

agreed.

Also, I don't give a shit about what actors do or say outside of their work.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
Hollywood is dead.
Lately I face hard time picking a movie with the Mrs.. They are all crap, well almost. Looking forward to Ice Age this summer.
I only watch cartoons now
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock

Macbeth wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

He said sorry but there is still a huge amount of people who call to boycott his films after that incident and The Passion of the Christ. Every movie he makes now he could never have any negative Jewish character because people will screw racism at him. Mel from this point forward will be looked at differently regardless of his actual talent.
Everyone here including me had forgotten about it, you only just reminded me.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine

OrangeHound wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

The MPAA claims that Hollywood and movies are dying because of illegal downloading.
I would rather think that it is because the movies made these days are unoriginal, predictable, and require minimal acting (mostly CG "wow" stuff). 

For example, look at these top movies made in 1993, several of which were groundbreaking or (at a minimum) very well done ... a couple are classics:

Jurassic Park (1993)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
The Fugitive (1993)
The Firm (1993)
Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Indecent Proposal (1993)
In the Line of Fire (1993)
The Pelican Brief (1993)
Schindler's List (1993)

Now, let's look at the list from 2008:

The Dark Knight (2008)
Iron Man (2008)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
Hancock (2008)
WALL·E (2008)
Kung Fu Panda (2008)
Twilight (2008/I)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008)
Quantum of Solace (2008)
Horton Hears a Who! (2008)

Basically, 2008 produces a bunch of cartoons and some mostly CG movies ... entertaining, but not exactly classic stuff.  Hollywood needs a face-lift.

Yeah, because I mean they actually found live dinosaurs to film with in Jurassic Park...no CG there.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5654|SQUID
Hollywood is merely making films to peoples taste thats how it's always been and always will be.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
One thing I find extremely disappointing about movies in recent times is that they're all based off of something or they're a sequel/prequel.

Look at the movies OH posted.

Dark Knight - Based off of Batman, a comic book.
Iron Man - Based off Iron Man (obviously), a comic book.
Indiana Jones - A sequel.
Hancock - Original IIRC, but had a shitty plot.
WALL-E - The one original movie here that was actually pretty well done from what I've heard. Pixar's incredible though.
Kung Fu Panda - Can't speak for it, but I heard it was alright.
Twilight - Shitty teenage girl book about vampires who go out in the day and don't suck human blood turned into an even shittier movie.
Madagascar 2 - A sequel.
Quantum of Solace - An okay sequel with a hard to follow plot.
Horton Hears a Who! - Haven't seen it.

There are only 5 movies I'm looking forward to this year.

Watchmen - loved the graphic novel, but some very important stuff like Hollis Mason's death and the squid are missing, apparently. We shall see.
Terminator Salvation - Love the Terminator series and it should be interesting to see how Bale takes the role of John Conner.
Star Trek - Never a Trek fan myself, but I love JJ Abrams' work.
Avatar - Sounds incredible so far.
Inglorious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino film about WWII and killing Nazis. 'Nuff said.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine could also be thrown in there too.

But notice something about all of those films? Each one except for Avatar is based on something or is a sequel. That's the problem with Hollywood. It's not that a movie based off of something like a book is bad - there have been plenty of really good ones. Jurassic Park being a prime example. It's just that there's too fucking many of them.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-02-20 01:02:01)

The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5654|SQUID
god another film about killing nazi's spare me
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

The A W S M F O X wrote:

The X-men Wolverine movie even has him kill nazi's.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
I agree with the whole sequel/prequel thing.

Heh, I think my fav film from last year was In Bruges. An original idea, great actors and... NOT Hollywood. Go figure.
Jackabo
+127|6528|Dublin, Ireland
I've always just seen Hollywood as a big popularity contest. It's amazing how retards can actually give two shits about these actors when 1. They're not talented and 2. These celebs in reality don't give two shits about them.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5654|SQUID

AussieReaper wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Yes but thats COOL
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK

OrangeHound wrote:

I don't completely agree, Wall-E was extremely good in my opinion.

It is however true that other films you mentioned from 2008 are definitely good, but by no means ground-breaking.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

The A W S M F O X wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Yes but thats COOL
How cool?
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
A friend of mine took Her Self, 3 kids and another adult to the cinema yesterday to see a kids film, cost £45 in total, thats why the industry is on its way out and people are downloading, they should of learned their lesson from the music industry's mistakes; and not rip people off.  £20 would of been a fair price for them all.  How can you tell the kids no you can't have sweets and drinks etc aswell?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard