Poll

Do you think EA will shut down the stats system.

Yes29%29% - 21
No47%47% - 34
I don't care, I play for fun22%22% - 16
Total: 71
DankKUSH
Banned
+17|5530|FLORIDA
Tell me what you guys think about this..
DankKUSH
Banned
+17|5530|FLORIDA
My opinion on this is that they will always have someone updating it no matter what because bf2 is such a great game and there are so many players and in all honesty. Its made it this big due to the stats system. So Hopefully it will be around for a really long time
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6713|Reality
Simple economics
At this moment there are almost 2000 ranked servers. Only 600 or so are populated.
Regardless people are still paying for their slots and the slots are paying for the stats server.
So yes they maintain the server.

EDIT
say an average server size of 24 slots
24 slots/server*2000 servers= 48000 slots
cost per slot is ??? 2 ? 3? 4?

so 96000, 144000 192000 per month.

how much would it take to run a stats server?

Last edited by Stubbee (2009-02-10 13:41:28)

The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6382|Belgium

DankKUSH wrote:

My opinion on this is that they will always have someone updating it no matter what because bf2 is such a great game and there are so many players and in all honesty. Its made it this big due to the stats system. So Hopefully it will be around for a really long time
When the expenses outweigh the incomes, it will be shut down. I don't think sentimental values will come into consideration when they're deciding to pull the plug on the stat system.

Last edited by FlemishHCmaniac (2009-02-10 13:38:41)

Wallpaper
+303|5964|The pool

Stubbee wrote:

At this moment there are almost 2000 ranked servers. Only 600 or so are populated.
Regardless people are still paying for their slots and the slots are paying for the stats server.
So yes they maintain the server.
As long as there are people paying for a decent number of ranked servers, I dont think it will go down soon
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
I don't care, I play for fun
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Yes, but not yet.

Stubbee, the cost is the same for any size server.
cospengle
+140|6457|Armidale, NSW, Australia
I voted 'I don't care' since my stats got hacked.

But obviously it's a question of economics. With each new BF title that comes out, less people will play and the server will be at greater risk of being shut down. But eventually it will shut down, yes.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
Not for a while.
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|5969|Aberdeen, Scotland
Of course it won't last forever, as previously stated it's a question of economics.

Drunkface, what do you mean? Game servers are generally priced by slot, and any other type of server by capacity/performance, no?
HSG
+23|6444|British Columbia, Canada
i hope it lasts forever.
DankKUSH
Banned
+17|5530|FLORIDA
haha, I sure hope it lasts a long long time. This game gets old for people and they quit, then more people find out about it and start playing. I just hope there will always be those new people keeping this game alive! EA won't shutdown the stats if there are people paying for servers to obtain stats. So keep on donating to your local servers that you like and maybe even invest in your own server, I'm doing that soon
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

I think the expense will also decrease over time as well.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

If they keep making enough money to cover the cost of the master server and the system that brings stats to it they won't shut it down, unless they decide to kill off the community so that we could go to the next game then.
bf2gammer
+14|6190
dont you think they have some kind of rack server? if so, than they dont really need to shut it down because as players decrease, so does the load on the server. I hope they dont have just one server "and maybe a backup" for stats. That isnt the ideal way to do it. The ideal way would be to loadbalance
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL
As long as:

money from ranked servers > cost of maintaining stats server

stats will remain
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6324|West NY
"Will the stats system last forever??"
Of course not, eventually it will be lost.
But to answer more broadly, nothing lasts forever.
Humanity itself will one day end.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

MrAnderson wrote:

Drunkface, what do you mean? Game servers are generally priced by slot, and any other type of server by capacity/performance, no?
If you buy/hire a server from a sever host they will (usually) charge per slot because a) they can. b) The more slots the higher the load on the server. But the host then also have to pay EA to have the servers ranked, this is a flat rate not dependent on the slots in the server.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6609|Montreal, Qc, Canada

Noobpatty wrote:

You sir went really deep into this question lol
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6378|Somersetshire

Andoura wrote:

Noobpatty wrote:

You sir went really deep into this question lol
I don't reckon he went "deep" at all
His whole reply can be compressed into "Even time will end"
BVC
+325|6665
See, if they released more content/1.5, paid servers would be around for longer due to the game's increased popularity = more money for them.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
Isn't the stats system handled (mostly) by Gamespy?
Outsourced services commonly are rather cheap in comparison to in-house ones, where you have to pay your own staff.

So, unless they have a time-limited deal with Gamespy, the stats server will be running as long the income from ranked servers will make enough money for EA to pay all server costs, maintaining and the Gamespy service.
I also think that they will want to make a certain amount of net gain from it, as I doubt that they will keep it running if the profit is marginal or even zero.

Such a situation will occur if player numbers drastically sink.
This will most likely happen if there is a new equally good Battlefield game (or from a competitor) on the market, or if too much time passes and the technology gets outdated (mainly graphics-wise).
Only about a year ago people were able to run the game at maximum specs with average hardware.

So my guess is, that it'll still take several years until enough people on the planet have superior hardware and new games to play on it, that they will think that BF2 is outdated.

Counterstrike is a good comparison:
There was a time when the Source-based version had been released for a while but still more people were playing the old 1.6 version.
Some time later this has changed and AFAIK, today much more people, if not most, are playing CS:S.
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6491|Polish state of EU
Sooner or later it will be closed, thats obvious, but i dont think thats gonna happen in next 5 years
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6102|Scotland!
I hope so
Sidsnot
Banned
+93|5532|Stoke, England
Which question are you asking?

"Do you think EA will shut down the stats system."

or

thanks