Scratch[USA]
+105|6517
I know nothing about building, design, and mantaining a webpage.  I need advice on where to start.  What direction do I head in.  I am also thinking of taking a class as well.wells
CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine
Brasso
+1,549|6600

templates are pretty useful.  i barely knew any HTML and i was able to set up this site for a school thing.  still working on it though.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-01-29 19:27:46)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

ib4alltheotheranswersshowinghowsmartpeoplethinktheyare
CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine

jsnipy wrote:

Damn, as if that wasn't the most arrogant statement I've heard in a while...
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

CrazeD wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

I'm not trying to be arrogant, this thread comes up often and spirals into things that become less and less relevant.
btw. if you want "arrogant" try reading some of your older posts

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-01-29 19:33:56)

Scratch[USA]
+105|6517

CrazeD wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Well then.
Any recomendations on some books as well.  I might stop by barnes & noble this weekend. 
Thanks for the ideas so far
Brasso
+1,549|6600

i would forgo the books.  nearly everything you need can be found online.

edit: for free

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-01-29 19:45:22)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6676|67.222.138.85

haffeysucks wrote:

lol, I would definitely recommend getting books if you are serious about taking this up.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

haffeysucks wrote:

defiantly agree, just print something to take with you, maybe put it in a binder.
As for books, the "idiots guides" and "for dummies" book are actually good starter books. Then later move onto a book that has more reference style material.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-01-29 19:48:42)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

lol, I would definitely recommend getting books if you are serious about taking this up.
well as i said i have nearly no experience.  so i guess you're probably right.  i just like free options most of the time, heh.
Flaming_Maniac
When I was learning the basics I did a mix, my dad had an old html book and I bought a CSS book. That in combination with what I could find on the nats worked pretty well, but the books make for a nice foundation that is easier to build on.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6517

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

When I was learning the basics I did a mix, my dad had an old html book and I bought a CSS book. That in combination with what I could find on the nats worked pretty well, but the books make for a nice foundation that is easier to build on.
Css?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
Edit: My post was stupid...

Last edited by Naturn (2009-01-29 22:00:43)

Flaming_Maniac

Scratch[USA] wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Css?
Cascading Style Sheet
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615

Scratch[USA] wrote:

I know nothing about building, design, and mantaining a webpage.  I need advice on where to start.  What direction do I head in.  I am also thinking of taking a class as well.wells
read some books first, I would recommend to start there, then from there on find some tutorials and practice some of the stuff then build ur site, u need to understand some of the content first before u go straight into building a web page.
CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine

jsnipy wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

btw. if you want "arrogant" try reading some of your older posts
Such as?
cospengle
+140|6456|Armidale, NSW, Australia

CrazeD wrote:

http://w3schools.com/xhtml
http://w3schoosl.com/css
This site is great. I just did a course on web programming and I used this site more than the course notes and text book.

BTW, the second link in the original post was mispetl so it didn't wokr.

Scratch[USA] wrote:

I am also thinking of taking a class as well.
The tutorials on the w3 schools site will give you a basic idea of what you need to know about. A class might be overkill depending on what you want to do, so I recommend trying a few things for yourself at home.

Basically the first thing you need to know is HTML. To make a basic web page, type the HTML into a text file, save the file (to your hard disk) with an htm or html extension and open it (double clicking will open it in your default browser). I recommend you start here. Click on 'try it yourself', it's an easy way to play with the code without having to worry about where files are saved etc.

You can do a lot of formatting (colours, text alignment, etc) just using HTML and changing the value of the element attributes, but you 'should' use CSS to format your pages. It's a bit more involved, but it's much better.

For more complicated stuff like webform submission you need to use a scripting language, eg javascript, but don't even worry about that sort of stuff until you know how to make a basic webpage.

Last edited by cospengle (2009-01-29 20:53:50)

tuckergustav
+1,590|5883|...

Well, if you are truly a beginner...look for "Web Site Design Made Easy" by Dennis Gaskill.  I have it from my first web development class and it takes you through from the basics(I still have to open it from time to time for reminders).   Or check out boogiejack.com.  That is super basic stuff...but a good start to get a grasp on what's going on.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

jsnipy wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

defiantly agree, just print something to take with you, maybe put it in a binder.
As for books, the "idiots guides" and "for dummies" book are actually good starter books. Then later move onto a book that has more reference style material.
1) I think it's already common knowledge that you can learn a lot of stuff on the internet, but nothing beats bound paper and good old fashioned note taking.
2) Printing bits and pieces works if you're already familiar with a subject. If you aren't, it can be like asking the average little kid to draw up a curriculum for quantum physics.
3) Idiots and Dummies don't always work. Despite the brand name, the series are written by different authors with different effectiveness, and are sometimes filled with more redundant pictures than you can shake a stick at.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Bottom line: book it. If you don't have the money, get a library card. For tech, keep with recent source material.

Coding isn't everything, so here's another book that might help:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Des … amp;sr=8-1

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-01-29 20:57:21)

TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you're buying books, I'd suggest going to your local, neighborhood thrift store, or some computer stores, and find the Used book area.

Pick out some CSS and HTML books that you can understand and follow.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

TheDonkey wrote:

If you're buying books, I'd suggest going to your local, neighborhood thrift store, or some computer stores, and find the Used book area.

Pick out some CSS and HTML books that you can understand and follow.
Plus take a look at some of the ones people have already read and felt good about recommending for beginners. If you're lucky, you can sometimes find a second-hand seller on Amazon that's willing to 'give' you one for a fraction of the retail price.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-01-29 22:05:22)

CrazeD
+368|6642|Maine
XHTML and CSS basics are really easy to learn with web tutorials. Once you get into more complex stuff, it gets a little more challenging though. Stuff like browser compatibility is a real bitch sometimes.

So, I recommend this book. I have it, and it is definitely worth the money. It's not really for utter beginners, but once you get the basics you should grab it. It covers pretty much everything you would ever want to do with XHTML/CSS. It even a pretty detailed browser compatibility/bug chapter.
cospengle
+140|6456|Armidale, NSW, Australia

CrazeD wrote:

So, I recommend this book.
I might have a look at that (BTW if you want to read a book and don't want to pay, ask your library to get it strange, but true). The course I did said "test your website on all web browsers your visitors might use" or something along those lines. But nowadays every man and his dog use different ones - there's so many of them, so it's really impossible to do all the testing. It used to be: just test IE and hope for the best (IE is actually one of the worst for compliance with standards).

As far as the OP goes, however, I don't think it really matters if his web pages don't work on all browsers, just getting something up is a good start.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard