Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

aerodynamic wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

if it's for harcore gamers are you gonna try to crash on purpose?
never in a racing car game i wanted to crash on the wall on purpose, not even with grid.
What? Did I ever say that?

When a car hits me or clips me in the back whilst racing, I want to see a dent there or a loss of a bumper. When my car flips over whilst I am doing rally, I want to see dents or a broken window. When my car accidentally skids off the road and hits the wall, I want to see that take effect.

I don't want to see a shiny gleaming and unreal car that's invincible when I am racing. That was why GTAIV was so incredible. The car destruction was near perfect in it.
it happens to every body when you are on a 24 le mans race and you are at the last lap and you go slightly on the grass and your car spins out.
Now, would you rather go hit the wall and see the incredible crash which destroys your car and your race which will make you furious or hit the wall and then get back to the race?
Um. Stupid question. I would prefer my car gets destroyed and I have to restart. That way I can learn how to handle my car better and drive better. Is that not the point of a driving game? To win by driving well and shit? I don't want to suddenly bounce off a wall and go "oh, I'm still in 1st, lulz, no problems with my engine". No thanks.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma

Jenspm wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

When a car hits me or clips me in the back whilst racing, I want to see a dent there or a loss of a bumper. When my car flips over whilst I am doing rally, I want to see dents or a broken window. When my car accidentally skids off the road and hits the wall, I want to see that take effect.

I don't want to see a shiny gleaming and unreal car that's invincible when I am racing. That was why GTAIV was so incredible. The car destruction was near perfect in it.
it happens to every body when you are on a 24 le mans race and you are at the last lap and you go slightly on the grass and your car spins out.
Now, would you rather go hit the wall and see the incredible crash which destroys your car and your race which will make you furious or hit the wall and then get back to the race?
Why not just put in epic arcade-style handling so you don't need to break? Would make life so much easier.

And your point isn't really valid - I'm pretty sure damage is on, even though damage graphics aren't? Or is my GT4 memory not working... In any case, you can cheat your way through and turn damage off if you want that.
So it never happened that you used the breaks jsut a bit late while you were trying to over take someone on a corner and then you get one bit of tire on the grass for like milliseconds (GRID) and you slip and your car spins.
Now the reaction is for everybody is "OHHHH FUCK!!!!! i was at my last lap and was first!!!!!". GRiD has the replay thing which is great but it pisses you of doesn't it? So the car bounces of the wall, big fucking deal. Is this a game? is a game supposed to make you angry and py you for that little mistake? It's ridiculous how people say "oh no, it doesn't have damage so it sucks!!!" In a race game you are not supposed to go off track, you are not supposed to hit other cars, I just don't get what this big deal is with damages.

and Gran Turismo has always had engine damage.
if i remember well.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2009-01-19 11:44:19)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6520|...

Zimmer wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Um. Stupid question. I would prefer my car gets destroyed and I have to restart. That way I can learn how to handle my car better and drive better. Is that not the point of a driving game? To win by driving well and shit? I don't want to suddenly bounce off a wall and go "oh, I'm still in 1st, lulz, no problems with my engine". No thanks.
this ^
The one thing i totally hate about GT series
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6594|Michigan, USA

aerodynamic wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Why not just put in epic arcade-style handling so you don't need to break? Would make life so much easier.

And your point isn't really valid - I'm pretty sure damage is on, even though damage graphics aren't? Or is my GT4 memory not working... In any case, you can cheat your way through and turn damage off if you want that.
So it never happened that you used the breaks jsut a bit late while you were trying to over take someone on a corner and then you get one bit of tire on the grass for like milliseconds (GRID) and you slip and your car spins.
Now the reaction is for everybody is "OHHHH FUCK!!!!! i was at my last lap and was first!!!!!". GRiD has the replay thing which is great but it pisses you of doesn't it? So the car bounces of the wall, big fucking deal. Is this a game? is a game supposed to make you angry and py you for that little mistake? It's ridiculous how people say "oh no, it doesn't have damage so it sucks!!!" In a race game you are not supposed to go off track, you are not supposed to hit other cars, I just don't get what this big deal is with damages.

and Gran Turismo has always had engine damage.
if i remember well.
That reasoning only exists to justify crappy driving.  Ive been in plenlty of races across plenlty of games only to get screwed over in the last lap or turn and having to start over.  Not the games fault for having damage or not, but my own for not avoiding hitting things or taking the line properly.  Pisses me off, sure, but also drives me to drive better.

GT4 i barely play anymore because the races are to easy, I rarely have to worry about turns as I can just ride the rail on most turns at highspeed without an issue from my car.  The only races that dont allow me to do it are the special races which give me a 5 second penalty for hitting a wall, easily overcome by sliding the rear of the car into the wall instead of the whole car which negates the pen.  Then theres the fact that GT lets you get away with a bunch of stuff like cutting giant chunks of track across the dirt or grass to get ahead.  As far as "damages" go in GT4, only thing Ive EVER noticed was tire wear which outside of Endurance races has no bearing on your car.

Damages make the game more entertaining, nd more realistic.  If I clip a corner of a railing my car should react, not just bounce off the magic wall that protects me from certain doom. My car should suffer from smacking into another car, shouldn't be able to do 90mph, and use the car in front of me as a quick method of stopping whilst shoving him out into a field.  GT belongs in the NFS catergory when it comes to physics, the cars bounce all over the track and hardly effect each other.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma
but the thing is you are on purpose bouncing on other cars to stop or cut corners. But you know that its cheating so why do you do that?
You know you are not supposed to do that, you know that if you go on the grass you will spin out and hit the wall.
It is true that the damage makes the game much more fun and realistic but i think the GT style of no damage makes the person who drives it not make the mistake kind of on consciousness to make less mistakes, true the restart over thing makes the player more cautious i agree with that.
I also like the fact that Gt doesn't punish the player for a mistake, which i think is good, because in the end it is still a game.
r2zoo
+126|6594|Michigan, USA

aerodynamic wrote:

but the thing is you are on purpose bouncing on other cars to stop or cut corners. But you know that its cheating so why do you do that?
You know you are not supposed to do that, you know that if you go on the grass you will spin out and hit the wall.
It is true that the damage makes the game much more fun and realistic but i think the GT style of no damage makes the person who drives it not make the mistake kind of on consciousness to make less mistakes, true the restart over thing makes the player more cautious i agree with that.
I also like the fact that Gt doesn't punish the player for a mistake, which i think is good, because in the end it is still a game.
But when your making your name on it being a simulation racer, it should.  I play Race07, and if I cut the track it disqualifies me, I hit other cars I risk screwing my suspension up which gradually gets worse.  If I hit the wall going around the turn I lose my aerodynamics and suffer from it, especially with a formula car.

Sure I know its cheating, but at this point with GT4 I do the races to win for the money to upgrade cars.  When the AI and the physics are so dull that races become a practice in repetition, you lose any encouragement to do it legit.  GT$ might look amazing and have  ton of options, but it doesnt fit the sim racer market as far as im concerned.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma
I used to play GTR2 so i know about simulation driving but it annoyed me so much when i was at teh end of the a long session and then i got distracted for like 2 seconds and boom i hit the wall and i'm like "FUCKKKKK!!!!!". I know its a simulation, but in the end it still is a game. But the fact that it doesn't have damage and those simulation features it doesn't mean its an arcade racing it still has some of that quasi simulation effect. You still have to attack the corner the right way, speed down before entering the corner, turning the right away etc. But i respect your opinion.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

aerodynamic wrote:

They market themselves as "The Driving Simulator" not "The driving game".

By making it so you can bounce around the track and beat someone who is trying to play properly just makes the game look like a joke IMO.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-01-19 13:24:05)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

By making it so you can bounce around the track and beat someone who is trying to play properly just makes the game look like a joke IMO.
tbf, GT4 had that blur thingy when you had a crash, made it pretty hard to keep on driving when the visions equivalent to being punched in the face
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
r2zoo
+126|6594|Michigan, USA

aerodynamic wrote:

I used to play GTR2 so i know about simulation driving but it annoyed me so much when i was at teh end of the a long session and then i got distracted for like 2 seconds and boom i hit the wall and i'm like "FUCKKKKK!!!!!". I know its a simulation, but in the end it still is a game. But the fact that it doesn't have damage and those simulation features it doesn't mean its an arcade racing it still has some of that quasi simulation effect. You still have to attack the corner the right way, speed down before entering the corner, turning the right away etc. But i respect your opinion.
Likewise -

However ,but thats true with a few of the arcade racers as well, But as Yoda Says

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

The way Sony markets the game should determine the content.  As you say, Quasi-sim racing, which I agree.  However with that kind of a label it belongs more in the catergory with GRID then it does GTR2/RAce07/Rfactor/Etc.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6547|UK

Thing is, it is afterall, a console game.  It's quite difficult to get the balance between something accesible and yet simulation enough to satisfy us lot, particularly when the people with a passing interest in racing are the ones who bring in the money.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma

r2zoo wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Likewise -

However ,but thats true with a few of the arcade racers as well, But as Yoda Says

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

The way Sony markets the game should determine the content.  As you say, Quasi-sim racing, which I agree.  However with that kind of a label it belongs more in the catergory with GRID then it does GTR2/RAce07/Rfactor/Etc.
I do agree, and GRiD is such a good game.
I just spent most of the game drifting, so awesome.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

FatherTed wrote:

tbf, GT4 had that blur thingy when you had a crash, made it pretty hard to keep on driving when the visions equivalent to being punched in the face
I forgot that existed because it was only there in the in-car view and i always played on the hood view for better visibility.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6543
Nice PC render.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6575|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Never played the game but that's a really good render!
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6730|St. Andrews / Oslo

@aerodynamic: What's the point if there isn't any dificulty involved? That's what's I love about racing games - the last laps are so intense. If you're in front, you have to make sure you stay on the track, but at the same time drive fast enough so that the driver behind you can't overtake you, knowing that one mistake can cost you the race. Without damage, you can just carry on driving on the limit, knowing that fucking up doesn't mean shit. All the suspence and intensity is gone. Same with GRiD and their rewind thing.

And online racing is pointless without damage.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina
Lol, I just wanted to share an amazing render and all you people did is to say how wrong PD are or how shitty the GT series is.  Some people simply can't enjoy anything without making a consoles war.

Last edited by sergeriver (2009-01-19 15:16:08)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

sergeriver wrote:

Lol, I just wanted to share an amazing render and all you people did is to say how wrong PD are or how shitty the GT series is.  Some people simply can't enjoy anything without making a consoles war.
There is no console war. This is solely for the PS3. We are discussing the game. No more.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma

Jenspm wrote:

@aerodynamic: What's the point if there isn't any dificulty involved? That's what's I love about racing games - the last laps are so intense. If you're in front, you have to make sure you stay on the track, but at the same time drive fast enough so that the driver behind you can't overtake you, knowing that one mistake can cost you the race. Without damage, you can just carry on driving on the limit, knowing that fucking up doesn't mean shit. All the suspence and intensity is gone. Same with GRiD and their rewind thing.

And online racing is pointless without damage.
But that doesn't mean there is no suspence or intensity in the game, there is and a lot.
Because it still is a game, you never know even if you are doing everything perfectly when you are gonna make a mistake, and GT doesn't punish the players for making that mistake. ANd its not like you bounce of the wall at 100km/h and keep that speed, you slow down. But if you go on the grass its the same for every other games, you slow down. So is the damage really that necessary? is that such a big deal?I mean yes if there was damage we would enjoy the crashing more but it's just you supposed by consciousness to not hit the wall, not cheat by bypassing the AI. thats the same as you complaining abut how easy it is to cheat in singleplayer and multi. Even though you know you can cut the corners, don't do that.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6763|Cambridge (UK)

Zimmer wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

There is no console war. This is solely for the PS3. We are discussing the game. No more.
Quite right, I don't see anyone mentioning any other console. Other racing games, maybe. But other consoles, no.

But, it's a pointless debate anyway.

GT is the Flight Simulator of the car-racing world - some people love it, some people loath it - it's horses for courses.

Personally, I really don't see the point - it's meant to be a game - does it really matter whether the shock-absorbers are physically modelled right down to the bolts holding them together, or not?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2009-01-20 00:08:08)

VicktorVauhn
+319|6390|Southern California

Poseidon wrote:

The only way to enjoy a GT game is with a racing wheel. It's a driving sim, after all.

Arcade racers = Controller
Driving sims = Racing wheel
I am gonna have to disagrees completely.

Its not a bad game, but a bit of a dumbed down as a sim... so I am gonna buy it  for something I can kick back and play with a controller for when I can't be bothered to set up the wheel for computer racing sims.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina

Zimmer wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Forza 2 is for PS3, right.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

sergeriver wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

And Xbox360 ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6841|England

sergeriver wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Eh? Forza on PS3.

Is it? Can I have a link, as I would buy that right now!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard