• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Has anyone here used a shuttle/micro ATX (the weeee things) case?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

Few mates of mine have started doing LAN party's and contrary to my own pre conceptions, I actually kind of enjoyed it.  Never been a fan of the idea of these large events, I can just smell the body odder, and see there achene ridden, greasy faces (yes you gooners) from here, but the smaller ones are fine, good laugh and it's a bit more satisfying killin your friends when you can see them in the corner of there eye cursing you.

fucking Scot
However, taking my machine to them is a bit of a no go.  I have a Li Lian Armoursuit PC P80 and it's just not practical to take it to these things.  It's way to heavy full of hardware and too big for one guy to carry (namely me).

So, am taking a look at a more portable way of doing it.

My thinking is either, gaming laptop, or, using one of these micro cases (or even just take a console I suppose, cant join in on the FPS games etc though).

I dont really have a budget, am weigh-in up the idea. 

Had a look at gaming PCs and everyone knows they cost a bomb.  So am just curious if anyone has experience with the smaller case sort of setup.  Specifically, cooling, and there ease of use/portability.  I mean with a shuttle case I would need to take a screen, and my mouse with other wires with me so it's not exactly ideal, but probably cheaper than a gaming laptop.  Flip side is, a gaming laptop would just be the machine and my mouse (power brick doesn't really matter).  With the smaller case machine, I could pretty much use all my existing hardware, since I was going to replace it all soon anyway.

Also, if I did that, I could double it up as a HTPC, which I have been looking for an excuse to build for ages now, so it wouldnt simply be a sort of niche, rarely used brick sitting in my room.

Any input would be great.  I believe I contemplated this before but I never really bothered with it as other stuff came up.  For those of you who know about my racing story, it could also serve the dual purpose in letting me game while in some foreign country doing testing/practise/races etc.  In that instance taking a smaller case may not be very practical.

Thanks guys.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-12-21 16:07:37)

Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6320

I would definitely go with a laptop. You already have a desktop and you're considering building a smaller computer with a much smaller case? Ya, seem's a little impractical to me. I'd just get a gaming laptop. Easier to tote around with ya.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

First off, Fuck you Bell.

Secondly, we need a budget. imo you should build a shuttle pc.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

Gooners wrote:

I kid, I kid because I love.

So far as budget.  Well, I dunno.  The shuttle PC would only cost me, like, £200 more extra.  Say, £100 for the case, £50-60 for a PSU, and a different cooler for the CPU that will fit.

A gaming laptop, would be, like, easily over a grand (UK).

Martyn
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6486|N. Ireland
As you know, the main problem is cooling with micro ATX cases. Take a look into the Lian-Li V350 (cube) case, it's innovative but tricky.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

Bell wrote:

Gooners wrote:

I kid, I kid because I love.

So far as budget.  Well, I dunno.  The shuttle PC would only cost me, like, £200 more extra.  Say, £100 for the case, £50-60 for a PSU, and a different cooler for the CPU that will fit.

Martyn
Yeah, It's the hassle of taking everything out, or paying the extra money.
<3
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
If you even go down the teeny-weeny PC route - would you be building a new teeny-weeny PC or planning to swap mobo 'n' everything in & out of the two cases?

Bell wrote:

Only if you want really shit-hot performance.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-12-21 16:56:47)

MysteryJake
+12|6200|California
Neither laptops or mini atx systems are easily upgraded so I would go for the laptop since its far more portable than the shuttle.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5674
My friend's dad has one, and I think it runs pretty well. He has a 7900GT or something in there.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6461
I used Shuttles for 4 years. They're just as good as the towers, the only drawbacks are due to the small size they overheat pretty quick, so only get one if you have air conditioning (or don't  need it).
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

If you even go down the teeny-weeny PC route - would you be building a new teeny-weeny PC or planning to swap mobo 'n' everything in & out of the two cases?
I was planning on an i7 rig, just, not exactly needing it right now I can run pretty much everything well enough.  If I bought the shuttle though then I would simply put all the parts from the tower now, into that, then upgrade the tower to i7, x58 etc.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)

Bell wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I was planning on an i7 rig, just, not exactly needing it right now I can run pretty much everything well enough.  If I bought the shuttle though then I would simply put all the parts from the tower now, into that, then upgrade the tower to i7, x58 etc.
Good good.

List yer specs then.

State anything you must keep and anything that can be sacrificed.

Oh, and, excuse the personal question, but, what form-factor mobo you got (ATX/MicroATX/FlexATX/BTX)?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bell wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Good good.

List yer specs then.

State anything you must keep and anything that can be sacrificed.

Oh, and, excuse the personal question, but, what form-factor mobo you got (ATX/MicroATX/FlexATX/BTX)?
Currently:

ATi 4850
P45 P5Q
4GB OCZ 1066 RAM
E8400
Corsair 750W psu

The power supply, is to be kept for my i7 machine.  The rest of it can go into the shuttle, there is nothing I specifically must keep, but it seems to me it make more sense to simply use that gear minus the PSU.  I believe the board is ATX.

Cheers

Martyn
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
I'm sure you'd need an M-ATX Motherboard for a tiny PC.

Sure they don't cost much, though.

A low profile cooler and you're sorted.

I intend to buy a case for the future when me and my friend's get some LAN's going.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

FFLink13 wrote:

I intend to buy a case for the future when me and my friend's get some LAN's going.
Yeah, I'd be tempted to go for that option. I'd be a lot of hassle though, having to swap everything over. And you'd still have to bring a monitor. Laptop is tempting from an ease perspective, although I guess it depends what games you're playing. BF2 type stuff and a laptop will be fine, brand new games and you'll have to suffer with low graphics.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)

ghettoperson wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

Yeah, I'd be tempted to go for that option. I'd be a lot of hassle though, having to swap everything over. And you'd still have to bring a monitor. Laptop is tempting from an ease perspective, although I guess it depends what games you're playing. BF2 type stuff and a laptop will be fine, brand new games and you'll have to suffer with low graphics.
But he's planning to build a new i7 desktop, so may as well move what he's got over to a different case.

Bell, as others have suggested - you could buy a teeny-weeny case, small outlay on good MicroATX mobo, move the CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs and CD/RW's over. Might want to consider different CPU/GPU HS&Fs, depending on what you use currently.
Microwave
_
+515|6647|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Antec Skeleton?

https://www.condensedgreymatter.com/files/ske02.jpg

Carry handles!

Last edited by james@alienware (2008-12-22 16:13:17)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)

james@alienware wrote:

Antec Skeleton?

http://www.condensedgreymatter.com/files/ske02.jpg

Carry handles!
Pros:
High Cool At LAN Party Factor.

Cons:
High Damage Caused By Dust/Smoke/Grime/Beer/Twats At LAN Party Factor.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

Antec Skeleton?

http://www.condensedgreymatter.com/files/ske02.jpg

Carry handles!
Pros:
High Cool At LAN Party Factor.

Cons:
High Damage Caused By Dust/Smoke/Grime/Beer/Twats At LAN Party Factor.
Major con: Reviews say that it be complete shite.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
Couple of other, more sensible cases, from Antec:
Mini P180
MicroATX Cube

(and they do more - just browse their site)

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-12-22 16:48:32)

Defiance
+438|6663

GET A MODULAR PSU.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6625

imagine a modular penis, you could take off the part you don't need.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Has anyone here used a shuttle/micro ATX (the weeee things) case?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard