kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
If you are in anyway serious about photography a digital camera, not phone, is essential. If not, well I'd still advise an iPhone but trademark FM stubbornness means I'll just hold back that thought, heh
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6196|Winland

kylef wrote:

If you are in anyway serious about photography a digital camera, not phone, is essential. If not, well I'd still advise an iPhone but trademark FM stubbornness means I'll just hold back that thought, heh
iPhone camera is crap compared to even other phone cameras.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

Yeah it is pretty rubbish. FM stated '2.0MP+' which the iPhone is, and I was highlighting if you are getting a phone based on its camera then that would suggest you are into photography = get an actual camera.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6196|Winland

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

Yeah it is pretty rubbish. FM stated '2.0MP+' which the iPhone is, and I was highlighting if you are getting a phone based on its camera then that would suggest you are into photography = get an actual camera.
It seems he just want a good-enough camera for everyday pics.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Which both the iPhone and Nokia Nxx cater for I guess.
theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6611|balls
i have verizon and my lg dare has a 3.2mp camera, not the greatest, but great for a phone.  i spent $300 on my dare since i was far away from contract upgrade.  i'd never spend $600+, but hey, if you got the cash.  just make sure you've researched it like watching videos on youtube or gone instore and played with it a bit.  big investment for just reading the specs on newegg's site.  do some research.  phonedog.com and howard forums are some great cell phone related site that offer video reviews and big time forum support.  seriously, do some research.  also, i bought my dare off ebay, rather than some store.  i actually bought the wife an lg voyager off ebay as well.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6196|Winland

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

No, but the N96 is far superior, almost making it into the low-end compact camera business.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

Not in the slightest. The Nokia N series have awesome cameras, whereas the iPhone has a shitty camera. If you actually want to keep the photos, rather than just evidence that something happened you don't want an iPhone.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85

Sydney wrote:

Swap sim cards? I thought that by unlocked you mean that it doesn't have any sim card .

When I bought my new phone I just took my sim card out of the old one and put it into the new one (well, almost, I went and replaced my sim card for a 3G one)
This is what I'm talking about. What do you mean a 3G sim card?

Freezer7Pro wrote:

kylef wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No, but the N96 is far superior, almost making it into the low-end compact camera business.
^^^this

I want the best camera I can get for everyday stuff without having to carry around an actual camera. I'm not kidding myself into thinking I am getting professional quality photos, but I want decent clarity. iPhone camera is thoroughly unimpressive.

Also, movies.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
Unlocking kit is pretty cheap nowadays.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Flaming_Maniac

.Sup wrote:

But no carriers in the U.S. sell it at all.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6485|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
Did you check Ebay? I got a unlocked phone from them for like $200
.Sup
be nice

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

They were never sold by carriers. Search for the kit online.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6648|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

In any case does anyone have last words on the topic, has anyone actually bought an unlocked phone and swapped the sim cards? Nonrefundable purchase on newegg, messing this up would make me sad panda.
I don't think you have anything to worry about ... if you are so wealthy that you think it wise to spend $660 on a Swiss Army phone, then it's potential failure will not cause long term depression.

It will probably work, and if it doesn't then you clearly have enough cash flow to buy something else.
.Sup
be nice

OrangeHound wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

In any case does anyone have last words on the topic, has anyone actually bought an unlocked phone and swapped the sim cards? Nonrefundable purchase on newegg, messing this up would make me sad panda.
I don't think you have anything to worry about ... if you are so wealthy that you think it wise to spend $660 on a Swiss Army phone, then the fact that it does or doesn't work will not cause long term depression.

It will probably work, and if it doesn't then you clearly have enough cash flow to buy something else.
Even people who aren't rich can afford something expensive once in a while.
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
I bought an unlocked cybershot (newer one) from a corner shop and used my old sim. Worked fine, was £200 there and £300 outta real phone shops.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6648|Washington DC

.Sup wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't think you have anything to worry about ... if you are so wealthy that you think it wise to spend $660 on a Swiss Army phone, then the fact that it does or doesn't work will not cause long term depression.

I wasn't focusing on "expensive" ... my implication is that it is "excessive" and "exorbitant".
Flaming_Maniac

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

No no, the phone itself isn't sold by any carriers. I can't buy a locked N96 and then unlock it myself even if I wanted to.

.Sup wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yeah...

I understand that I am better off than most, but that doesn't mean I can throw away $630 on a phone that doesn't even work as a phone...

I don't just throw money around OH, but when I do buy I try to buy quality. If you don't care enough about something to get a good one then maybe you don't really want one.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

No no, the phone itself isn't sold by any carriers. I can't buy a locked N96 and then unlock it myself even if I wanted to.

.Sup wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Yeah...

I understand that I am better off than most, but that doesn't mean I can throw away $630 on a phone that doesn't even work as a phone...

I don't just throw money around OH, but when I do buy I try to buy quality. If you don't care enough about something to get a good one then maybe you don't really want one.
Word. I may be a poor student, but I hate buying stuff that's poor quality. So I just don't drink for a week or two and can afford it.
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

A phone camera is a phone camera. It can't match even a cheap compact camera.
That used to be true, but it's not anymore.

Phone cameras are actually starting to be decent...well, for a phone anyway.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.Sup wrote:

.Sup wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

Yeah...

Your last statement and considering a Nokia phone just doesn't match, firstly the N96 is way to exspensive for the features it carries ... and you are not even going to use it's main feature which is to call other people ...

Only reason for a 15 year old to buy a phone that exspensive is to show off and why ask for advice in this thread when you already know you will not follow them ... show off tbh ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Flaming_Maniac

Varegg wrote:

Your last statement and considering a Nokia phone just doesn't match, firstly the N96 is way to exspensive for the features it carries ... and you are not even going to use it's main feature which is to call other people ...
opinion

Varegg wrote:

Only reason for a 15 year old to buy a phone that exspensive is to show off and why ask for advice in this thread when you already know you will not follow them ... show off tbh ...
Read the OP again. Notice I am asking if the unlocked phone will work on my carrier when I swap the SIM cards for sure, because AT&T support is worthless. Then note other people started telling me not to buy the phone, I never asked for advice. Then kindly stop the needless and off-base insults.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6250|England
https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/smuder201/b174199.jpg
I've just ordered one of these puppies Samsung Pixon 8mp camera on it. & free on my current contract as well bless 02
specs http://uk.samsungmobile.com/footer/pres … sesView.do

Last edited by smuder201 (2008-11-22 13:51:25)

Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Varegg wrote:

opinion

Varegg wrote:

Read the OP again. Notice I am asking if the unlocked phone will work on my carrier when I swap the SIM cards for sure, because AT&T support is worthless. Then note other people started telling me not to buy the phone, I never asked for advice. Then kindly stop the needless and off-base insults.
Opinion shared by many and it was not an insult FM, it was a statement based on experience with what type of customers buys what kind of phones and for what purpose ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Flaming_Maniac

Varegg wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Varegg wrote:

opinion

Varegg wrote:

Opinion shared by many and it was not an insult FM, it was a statement based on experience with what type of customers buys what kind of phones and for what purpose ...
Generalizing me into a group and insulting me by calling me a showoff. Awesome.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard