JoshP
Banned
+176|5699|Notts, UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7673591.stm

Legal case against God dismissed

A US judge has thrown out a case against God, ruling that because the defendant has no address, legal papers cannot be served.

The suit against God was launched by Nebraska state senator Ernie Chambers, who said he might appeal the ruling.

He sought a permanent injunction to prevent the "death, destruction and terrorisation" caused by God.
Discuss?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
Hmm, I'd have thought God could be addressed to "Everywhere"

Easy enough.

Also, take Zeus, for example. Everyone knows where Zeus is, Mount Olympus.
thraSK
Best ___ in Aus
+57|5992
Mount olympus is closed to us though, like mount hyjal. you can't go there, and you get banned if you glitch
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6500|Gogledd Cymru

thraSK wrote:

Mount olympus is closed to us though, like mount hyjal. you can't go there, and you get banned if you glitch
irl ban?

Dayum, thats some harsh admins right there.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6853|Reykjavík, Iceland.

The Sheriff wrote:

thraSK wrote:

irl ban?

Dayum, thats some harsh admins right there.
And how would you glitch IRL anyway?

Wouldn't god be the IRL admin anyway?

So they are trying to vote-kick an admin....

Last edited by Sydney (2008-10-16 06:17:28)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Also, take Zeus, for example. Everyone knows where Zeus is, Mount Olympus.
Either that or he's out on the town getting laid in the guise of some horny animal, or he's busy impregnating women while disguised as an inanimate object.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6659|Washington DC

Nebraska is a barren and cold state, I think their largest city has perhaps 12 people and 2,000 head of cattle in it ... so, I guess this is how they entertain themselves.

Anyway, he's not returning to office (term limits), so I guess he's trying to waste as much government money as possible ...

https://www.journalstar.com/content/articles/2007/09/18/news/politics/doc46ef102aa68ed928664526.jpg
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France
The dude needs to be fined for lawsuit abuse.
PureFodder
+225|6296
Isn't the entire point of this to simply show how stupid the laws are? The guy wasn't trying to sue God, he was trying to show that you could sue God.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6659|Washington DC

PureFodder wrote:

Isn't the entire point of this to simply show how stupid the laws are? The guy wasn't trying to sue God, he was trying to show that you could sue God.
No.  Actually he has a history of objection to Judeo-Christian phrases and objects present with the American government, such as "In God We Trust" on American currency, "One Nation Under God" in the American pledge of allegiance, and prayers given at the start of legislative sessions.
Vax
+42|5862|Flyover country

PureFodder wrote:

Yes. It even says so in the BBC article. 

It was to make a point about frivolous lawsuits, and meant to be taken with a grain of h u m o r.

http://www.ketv.com/news/14133442/detail.html 

OMAHA, Neb -- State Sen. Ernie Chambers is suing God. He said on Monday that it is to prove a point about frivolous lawsuits.

Chambers said senators periodically have offered bills prohibiting the filing of certain types of suits. He said his main objection is that the constitution requires that the doors to the courthouse be open to all.

"Thus anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody -- even God," Chambers said.

(....)
"Plaintiff, despite reasonable efforts to effectuate personal service upon defendant 'Come out, come out, wherever you are,' has been unable to do so,'" Chambers said.

The suit also requests that the court, given the peculiar circumstances of this case, waive personal service. It said that being omniscient, the plaintiff assumes God will have actual knowledge of the action.

The lawsuit accuses God "of making and continuing to make terroristic threats of grave harm to innumerable persons, including constituents of Plaintiff who Plaintiff has the duty to represent." It says God has caused "fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues, ferocious famines, devastating droughts, genocidal wars, birth defects and the like."

The suit also says God has caused "calamitous catastrophes resulting in the wide-spread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants including innocent babes, infants, children, the aged and infirm without mercy or distinction."
Vax
+42|5862|Flyover country

OrangeHound wrote:

Nebraska is a barren and cold state, I think their largest city has perhaps 12 people and 2,000 head of cattle in it ... so, I guess this is how they entertain themselves.
It's cold yes. Except in the summer, when it's, well, hot.
Barren, well it's a farming state so I don't know about that : P

And our largest city has at least 15 people as of the last census.

Cattle...indeed, think of us next time you have a good steak.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6588|Columbus, OH
If I was God, I would lighting bolt  Ernie Chambers' ass for taking me to court, other than that; contempt of court.

Last edited by loubot (2008-10-16 12:56:14)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France

PureFodder wrote:

Exactly he needs to be fined for lawsuit abuse so he can bring the case to court.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6463|Ontario, Canada
I think the main objective was to prove that anyone can sue anyone, although by suing God you kind dismiss your disbelief in God so nice failboat Ernie.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard