KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

usmarine wrote:

yep.  yet clinton supported the CRA and HUD rules that pretty much forced banks to give loans to people who banks would never in their right mind gives loans to.
What reforms did Clinton make to the HUD and CRA to allow that?

Did you know that the Wall Street Journal reported that 61% of people with sub-prime loans actually qualified for better loans?  Was Clinton or someone from the left forcing the lending industry to offer people high-interest loans too?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

yep.  yet clinton supported the CRA and HUD rules that pretty much forced banks to give loans to people who banks would never in their right mind gives loans to.

Did you know that the Wall Street Journal reported that 61% of people with sub-prime loans actually qualified for better loans?  Was Clinton or someone from the left forcing the lending industry to offer people high-interest loans too?
"In 1995, as a result of interest from President Bill Clinton's administration, the implementing regulations for the CRA were strengthened by focusing the financial regulators' attention on institutions' performance in helping to meet community credit needs. These revisions[1] with an effective starting date of January 31, 1995 were credited with substantially increasing the number and aggregate amount of loans to small businesses and to low- and moderate-income borrowers for home loans. These changes were very controversial and as a result, the regulators agreed to revisit the rule after it had been fully implemented for seven years."
----------------------------------------
Oh, and lots of peoples hero on here...

"Congressman and 2008 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul has partially attributed the ongoing subprime mortgage crisis to legislation such as the CRA."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

"In 1995, as a result of interest from President Bill Clinton's administration, the implementing regulations for the CRA were strengthened by focusing the financial regulators' attention on institutions' performance in helping to meet community credit needs. These revisions[1] with an effective starting date of January 31, 1995 were credited with substantially increasing the number and aggregate amount of loans to small businesses and to low- and moderate-income borrowers for home loans. These changes were very controversial and as a result, the regulators agreed to revisit the rule after it had been fully implemented for seven years."
----------------------------------------
Oh, and lots of peoples hero on here...

"Congressman and 2008 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul has partially attributed the ongoing subprime mortgage crisis to legislation such as the CRA."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act
So what were the detrimental changes?  You quoted wiki mentioning the changes, but what were the actual changes?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So what were the detrimental changes?  You quoted wiki mentioning the changes, but what were the actual changes?
god look it up yourself.

"Clinton pushed extensive changes to the rules requiring lenders to make questionable loans.

Lenders who refused would find themselves castigated publicly as racists. As noted this week in an IBD editorial, no fewer than four federal bank regulators scrutinized financial firms' books to make sure they were in compliance.

Failure to comply meant your bank might not be allowed to expand lending, add new branches or merge with other companies. Banks were given a so-called "CRA rating" that graded how diverse their lending portfolio was."
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

god look it up yourself.

"Clinton pushed extensive changes to the rules requiring lenders to make questionable loans.

Lenders who refused would find themselves castigated publicly as racists. As noted this week in an IBD editorial, no fewer than four federal bank regulators scrutinized financial firms' books to make sure they were in compliance.

Failure to comply meant your bank might not be allowed to expand lending, add new branches or merge with other companies. Banks were given a so-called "CRA rating" that graded how diverse their lending portfolio was."
What were the "extensive changes" to the rules?

You want to blame Clinton for the changes to the CRA but you don't even know them.  That's my point bud.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You want to blame Clinton for the changes to the CRA but you don't even know them.  That's my point bud.
somebody rattled them off on CNBC when i was watching it the other day........bud.  go find it if you want.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX

Spearhead wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Oh please, his positions change depending on who is interviewing him.
You obviously have a pretty low opinion of anyone who supports him then...  do you really think we're that stupid?
Yes, I do.

Granted, McCain is not much better.  In my opinion, this election comes down to Bad v. Really Bad.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

somebody rattled them off on CNBC when i was watching it the other day........bud.  go find it if you want.
And you obviously paid good attention, seeing as you can't remember a single one.

See, the "Clinton was the cause because of his changes to the CRA" is bullshit, plain and simple.  All you are doing is proffering the same bile that stupid conservative bloggers and ignorant pundits on FoxNews are spouting - but it's not true, plain and simple.

Before I turn to potential interventions, I want to make one final point.  There has been a tendency to conflate the current problems in the subprime market with CRA-motivated lending, or with lending to low-income families in general.  I believe it is very important to make a distinction between the two. Most of the loans made by depository institutions examined under the CRA have not been higher-priced loans,16 and studies have shown that the CRA has increased the volume of responsible lending to low- and moderate-income households.17 We should not view the current foreclosure trends as justification to abandon the goal of expanding access to credit among low-income households, since access to credit, and the subsequent ability to buy a home, remains one of the most important mechanisms we have to help low-income families build wealth over the long term.18
http://www.frbsf.org/news/speeches/2008/0331.html

But what would a Federal Reserve banker know?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

usmarine wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

And you obviously paid good attention, seeing as you can't remember a single one.

See, the "Clinton was the cause because of his changes to the CRA" is bullshit, plain and simple.  All you are doing is proffering the same bile that stupid conservative bloggers and ignorant pundits on FoxNews are spouting - but it's not true, plain and simple.

Before I turn to potential interventions, I want to make one final point.  There has been a tendency to conflate the current problems in the subprime market with CRA-motivated lending, or with lending to low-income families in general.  I believe it is very important to make a distinction between the two. Most of the loans made by depository institutions examined under the CRA have not been higher-priced loans,16 and studies have shown that the CRA has increased the volume of responsible lending to low- and moderate-income households.17 We should not view the current foreclosure trends as justification to abandon the goal of expanding access to credit among low-income households, since access to credit, and the subsequent ability to buy a home, remains one of the most important mechanisms we have to help low-income families build wealth over the long term.18
http://www.frbsf.org/news/speeches/2008/0331.html

But what would a Federal Reserve banker know?
Tis true i did not commit them to memory because it was kind of shocking to hear tbh.  and i could dig thru the interweb, but i just dont feel like it.  you can read thru all the legislative lawyer talk if you please.  thats what the news is ken.  people do research and break it down for you.

also, are you referring to Gramlich?

i reckon a former chairman of the NRC would not say anything bad about it would he?

Last edited by usmarine (2008-09-23 18:57:43)

topal63
. . .
+533|6719
There has been a tendency to conflate the current problems in the subprime market with CRA-motivated lending, or with lending to low-income families in general.  I believe it is very important to make a distinction between the two. Most of the loans made by depository institutions examined under the CRA have not been higher-priced loans, and studies have shown that the CRA has increased the volume of responsible lending to low- and moderate-income households.

Robert Gordon has pointed out that approximately half of the loans were made by independent mortgage companies which were not regulated by CRA at all, and thus had no government obligation to offer credit to minorities.

Ellen Seidman, the former director of the US Office of Thrift Supervision,[2] argues that the CRA did not have an effect on the United States housing bubble. She observes that CRA banks were particularly warned to make responsible investments, citing a speech by herself as an example. She notes that if unregulated independent mortgage companies do make subprime loans, affiliated CRA banks should not be able to count them for CRA purposes, although she does not indicate whether this practice currently occurs.

An analysis by attorneys Traiger and Hinckley concluded that CRA banks were less likely to sell risky mortgages onto the secondary market, and likely mitigated the effect of subprime crisis.

...far fewer applicants are denied credit—rather, they are offered credit at higher prices intended to reflect the greater risk posed by these loans.

Home purchase and refinance lending has the largest origination volume by far (of which about 10 percent is CRA-related).

Perhaps the most significant factor driving the current rise in delinquency and foreclosures is declining house values.
I've worked on projects that were almost entirely CRA funded, in an attempt to provide affordable housing and help improve property values - in the targeted area (City/redevelopment district). A majority of these (low priced) homes were not the ones that went bust in the bubble.

But these did!!!
Many homes (in far-more expensive neighborhoods) were speculated-on by average every day people (often they were even white men) looking to flip product on new construction - these went bust. If you could obtain a mortgage on a second property pre-construction or at new-construction prices (at a subdivisions inception); you could make a quick 20K to 100K in the new-home market - going near 100% financing (OPM). Lenders didn't care, the developers-home builders didn't care, so they let these small time speculators buy homes with the intent on flipping product. This got early sales off to a quick start + it put homes in the subdivision faster so build-out was quicker. But, this drove home prices up freaky-fast, in a 5 year period the prices had skyrocketed. Flipping-homes took longer - in some subdivisions (the worst ones had almost 50% non-lived in homes, owned by speculators waiting to flip to a buyer; with near 100% financing being how they managed the OPM deals; the banks allowed it).

No one forced a bank to loan a 95% ARM on 500K+ valued home. They risked the loan because they were making money in fees and upfront interest.

You know the terms of a loan are determined by a bank - no matter what. The lax standards are the minimum requirement... not the only requirement. Every bank that loaned was on a feeding frenzy; making money all the way; they couldn't stop.

The speculator's help drive prices up to levels that could not be maintained. Banks loaned money near 100% - near 0% vested-equity. Some banks dumped this paper - sold it off (high risk junk); and another bought it up. When the fruition of this nonsense reached apex there was only down in home-market prices and the homes became walk-aways (50-100K; or more; upside down and then people simply don't want to pay; are not paying). The families that bought in these subdivisions at these inflated prices weren't prepared for the down-turn, loss of equity. They were simply dragged into the financial undertow (loss of equity, inability to sell, destruction of money-supplies, loss of liquidity in the credit markets, etc - then even loss of income and or job due to the money-supply/liquidity destruction which ripples through the economy in waves).

Last edited by topal63 (2008-09-23 22:30:51)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Stingray24 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Oh please, his positions change depending on who is interviewing him.
You obviously have a pretty low opinion of anyone who supports him then...  do you really think we're that stupid?  How about post 2 videos from youtube showing him having completely different opinions.  As if McCain doesn't do it at all, too.... lol

Stingray24 wrote:

Simply take note of the myriad of programs Obama is promising, where else is the money coming from besides the taxpayers?
McCains promising an awful lot, too.  And you know with Bush and all, increasing the size of government really works well with lowering taxes for the wealthy... trickle down.. hahahahahha.

edit - stingray I was going to make fun of your sig by using it for my sig with some modification.  But I couldnt think of anything that offensive.  I hope you're kidding, right?  If not thats pretty narrow minded of you.
I don't think Obama supporters are stupid, I just disagree with the policies of their candidate.  I'll leave insulting the intelligence of supporters to you Dems.  Obama's a typical tax and spend lib, McCain won't even have try to be better on spending. 

to edit: Why is it offensive?  Truth hurts I guess.
It's offensive because:

1. It claims to tell US what WE believe and that you somehow know us better than we do - to that most of us say 'fuck off'.
2. It gives the same elitist-douchebag tone you rail on in so many of us.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
liquix
+51|6455|Peoples Republic of Portland
you'd have to be an idiot to raise taxes during war-time!

wait...what?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

Stingray24 wrote:

to edit: Why is it offensive?  Truth hurts I guess.
I guess I thought you were smarter than to be that narrowminded.  I was wrong apparently. 

and ironically enough in the same post you say that I'm the one insulting people... wow.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6762

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard