1-331%31% - 33
3-58%8% - 9
More than 56%6% - 7
Total: 104
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6359|New York
More than 5 million.

I don't think that you guys realize that this game is going to become a system seller. I personally think that it is innovative enough to attract new people to purchase the system. It can appeal to a huge, diverse crowd: people that just want to play the levels and those created by others, those that solely want to create levels, those that want to do a little bit of both, and, most importantly, those that want to have fun playing a unique game that can create a lot of nostalgia and bring people back to their childhood in using these materials to create whatever they can imagine.

The last point is what I think is what will really drive people to play it (and subsequently buy it). Every one of us has, at one point in time, laid down in the grass or on the floor of our bedroom and just imagined whatever we could. This game gives people the ability to finally do that, in a very accessible interface. At that point, LittleBigPlanet becomes much more than a game and I think that is why people will want to buy it: for the experience it offers.

Last edited by heggs (2008-09-19 09:10:14)

Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Kez
+778|5673|London, UK
Enough but not enough (1-3million)
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2008-09-20 15:22:56)

Kez
+778|5673|London, UK

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Thats pretty precise.. how about a friendly wager with me? I bet £1,000,000 that LPB will not sell that precise number of copies.

Last edited by Kptk92 :D (2008-09-20 16:08:45)

=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California

Kptk92 wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Thats pretty precise.. how about a friendly wager with me? I bet £1,000,000 that LPB will not sell that precise number of copies.
i agree to your bet and raise it by $1,500,000.
Kez
+778|5673|London, UK

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Kptk92 wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

i agree to your bet and raise it by $1,500,000.
Nah increase it to £2,000,000 at least and we've got a deal
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

Is that the total you expect, or do you expect LBP to sell 2,751,984 million copies, as the OP asked?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

heggs wrote:

More than 5 million.

I don't think that you guys realize that this game is going to become a system seller. I personally think that it is innovative enough to attract new people to purchase the system. It can appeal to a huge, diverse crowd: people that just want to play the levels and those created by others, those that solely want to create levels, those that want to do a little bit of both, and, most importantly, those that want to have fun playing a unique game that can create a lot of nostalgia and bring people back to their childhood in using these materials to create whatever they can imagine.

The last point is what I think is what will really drive people to play it (and subsequently buy it). Every one of us has, at one point in time, laid down in the grass or on the floor of our bedroom and just imagined whatever we could. This game gives people the ability to finally do that, in a very accessible interface. At that point, LittleBigPlanet becomes much more than a game and I think that is why people will want to buy it: for the experience it offers.
I doubt that.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6319|Belfast

jord wrote:

heggs wrote:

More than 5 million.

I doubt that.
as do i
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439
I think it will sell OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!! copies.

Yet less than two million.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
(Here is as good a Official LBP thread as any)

Online level creation coming post release

Isn't that the feature that everyone wants to buy the game for? Oh wait does it just mean the online version of the level creator, and an offline one is there?. I don't really know whats going on except that everyone wants the level creator.

Well i'll hope for you guys with PS3's that i'll come sooner rather than later .

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-09-22 06:54:32)

r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6419

You can still create levels yourself and publish them online. Or create them with other 3 guys on the same PS3. The feature that is coming after launch is creating with other 3 guys online.

EDIT, here is the FAQ:

I may be wrong but it seems like there's some misunderstanding over what this means. As ever, here's a mini FAQ.

Is online create in the game from launch?
No it's not, however it will be included in the first game update after launch. We're working on making this available as quickly as possible, but want to make sure it's right before releasing it.

What does online create actually mean?
Online create, quite simply, is the ability to use the create side of the game in an online multiplayer fashion.

So I can still share my levels?
Absolutely. All of the sharing features of the game are up and running.

And I can still play multiplayer?
Yes. Online multiplayer for playing the game is still very much there.

And I can still create levels with my friends offline?
Totally. Up to 4 players can work together on a single PS3 to create levels. Also, you can still work collaboratively with friends to build levels by exchanging them through the share portion of the game.

From my perspective, which you can take or leave, it is well worth getting some practise in with the create side of the game before trying to use it in a multiplayer fashion as it can be somewhat frustrating to get things done if everyone you're working with is still getting used to all the functions. While it's not ideal to have to wait for this feature to be released, it might actually be beneficial to creators until it happens as you'll be able to work out the tools entirely, and figure out how best to work with others on your projects.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta … 336#M33336

Last edited by r'Eeee (2008-09-22 07:01:58)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Oh ok then. Not as bad as the headline first made it sound. I wonder why it's not ready in time then. Seems a bit odd that they have multiplayer up, they offline multiplayer creator up, they have level sharing up, but they don't have the mix of them all.

Well i'm sure they have their reasons. Just smoothing it out probably.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-09-22 07:25:10)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Thought i'd bump this now that we know what the initial sales are like.

http://kotaku.com/5110889/littlebigplan … disappoint

Let's start with LittleBigPlanet, then. Media Molecule's quirky, original platformer was always going to be a struggle to sell to the holiday masses, what with it being an original IP that involved neither rock music nor guns. But even Sony's most pessimistic sales teams wouldn't have been prepared for this.

The game sold an OK-ish 205,000 units in October, but wasn't out for that long. It'd do a lot better in November, when it was on sale for all four weeks, right? No. It sold a disappointing 141,000 units for the month, which saw it slip out of NPD top 20 charts altogether.

Lord only knows how few copies it would have sold had it not been marketed to hell and high water. Then again, maybe that was the game's problem. The game itself is fine, as its "failure" is a relative one. Selling 346,000 of a niche, debut IP with novel concepts would otherwise have been a huge success!

But selling 346,000 copies of your most high-profile holiday release? That is not a success.
The answer: Not great. I think after these incredibly lukewarm initial sales, 5 million may have been a tad high to aim for.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6457|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
Nice system seller heggs lmafo!
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
its ok
i was off by 2,405,984
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

sergeriver wrote:

Ok, all the folks voting for less than one million don't have a clue.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
Saw that before.

They really can't blame the economy, as they tried to do. Plenty of other titles have sold like crack on a Harlem sidewalk.  Would the sales have been a LITTLE better if there was no economic crisis? Sure. But not by much. Probably not even past 500K.

Hopefully Sony's 2009 titles (which look excellent) can rebound.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Where is serge anyway. Not seen him for a while.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

He had a melt down when we were bashing lbp, and then he bought the game realized we were right about the shit it was and went into hiding.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
Smoking a reefer on a beach in Argentina.

Nah, I dunno, one of the last posts he made here (in this thread, actually) said he was done arguing with people who know shit about video games (@ the people who said less than 1 million). Kinda funny how things turned out.

I just really do not get how anyone could believe it would sell more than 5 mil. That is/was such a ridiculous statement to make. All due respect to Heggs though, who was the only one of the people who were extremely excited about it who actually could remain calm and not insult everyone.

SgtHeihn wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

He had a melt down when we were bashing lbp, and then he bought the game realized we were right about the shit it was and went into hiding.
What's funny is, he only has like...1 level made in LBP. So I guess yeah, you're right.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-12-15 20:29:20)

SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
I would read some of Serge's posts about lbp when I was having a bad day to cheer me up, because of the sheer fanaticism of them.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6609|Montreal, Qc, Canada
It piss me off that LBP didn't sold alot... Because it's a great game, hours and hours of fun, it's original and really different from what we use to see....

it's sad...
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK
Haha no where near five million at all. I guess people couldn't give a toss about making levels and sharing them. I have played it, all the stuff you can do is quite amazing but it's just not my cup of tea.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Maybe it was pirated four and a half million times.

But I doubt it. https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/rac_goshawk/awesome.png
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard