trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada
I have a 1998 Dodge Neon. My problem is that the car feels very slugish (it accelerates very very slowly). For example if I am going up a hill and I press on the gas to the floor it doesn't accelerate just slows down and when driving on the highway when I want to pass someone I stomp on the gas and the car takes FOREVER to get going fast. Any one have any idea about why this is? I know these cars are not like a freaking sports car or muscle car but I do know they are not slow pieces of shit so don't say they are. I am thinking that this could be a problem with clogged fuel filter/air filter and dirty spark plugs. If anyone has any other suggestions for me to look at before I change my spark plugs and fuel filter that would be greatly appreciated.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Airfilter ? ... if that's clogged up with dirt the engine dont get air and runs like a old paralyzed woman ... service is your cars best friend ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
lilbaily2
+12|6612|OH
Just go get a tune up and it should solve it
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada

lilbaily2 wrote:

Just go get a tune up and it should solve it
I can do it all myself its just that I want a second opinion so that I don't waste precious money (yes its precious no matter how much you got) on some shit I do not need even though I am pretty sure that filters and spark plugs need to be replaced. I have asked my friends but they are all immature saying I should get a turbo and crap like that.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

It is no other suggestions first, service the car and try again ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6410|Brisbane, Australia

Even if you think you can fix stuff, a car service is different.

Just take it in.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
OmniDeath
~
+726|6614

Plugs or filter, neither are that expensive to replace, and both are free to clean if you do it yourself, so I would try those. If that doesn't help then get back to us.
Slarty
+37|5934|Ingerland
Try joining, or looking through, an owners club for the car, I'm sure there'll be one someone. They're relatively old cars so pretty much any problem you have or encounter someone else will have had it already and found a cure for it.

Then have a look for how to pull the/any error codes from the ECU (there should be plenty of threads about it) as most cars can be "forced" to give you any stored error codes in the ECU. It might through some light on the situation.

Other than that, exactly what OmniDeath suggested. It sounds as though the engine is being strangled of either air or fuel.
kptk92
u
+972|6378|tc_london
put the nut and the bolt in the nut and bolt place and you should be fine (y)
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6199|NSW, Australia

get the airfilter out, hit it on a bench, get the shit off it
hold it up to light, if you can see pretty much through it, its fine

if it has a carby sounds kinda like the secondary is stuck shut
clean out your throttle body (get a rag spray it with wd40 or something similar and wipe inside it)

take your spark plugs out if they look like shit replace them, if they are ok check the gap, also check for cracks in the ceramic
LOG
dain bramaged
+51|6091|Punta Gorda,Florida
dont forget to change cap and rotor along with the plugs, filter and the plug wires.  if you change plugs and not the rest it kinda defeats the porpuse of changing the plugs.
you learn the true meaning of life when you see houses and cars blow by like leaves on a windy day.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6199|NSW, Australia

do you get any noises? pinging-misfiring anything like that
TheTrueQuaid
What was I doing mars?
+11|5869|Assachusetts
Change your Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Engine Oil, PCV Valve and Spark Plugs/Wires if equipped.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
too much trouble..
hmm...i don't know american cars thta much (aut. gearbox, rwd)

when you accelerate, do you hear the engine normally increasing rpm?

Last edited by Beduin (2008-09-11 09:47:22)

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6413|Stealth City, UK
Probably sparks and/or plugs. Could also be starting to mis-fire so it may need a tune up.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6649|In You Endo- Stoke
Spark plugs and air filter are two of the cheapest things to do,you may want to drop the oil and replace the oil filter too.Once those things are done you should be able to narrow down the problems.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6734
Check the plugs, most likely though if it were your plugs the car would bog very badly.

Check the air filter.

It could be a number of things really.
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada

Beduin wrote:

too much trouble..

It is front wheel drive and when the car is idling it makes fluttering sounds. The sound increases when accelerating.
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6620

trex1210 wrote:

Beduin wrote:

too much trouble..

It is front wheel drive and when the car is idling it makes fluttering sounds. The sound increases when accelerating.
fluttering or pinging is a spark plug problem if it increases in proportion to the RPM of the car, and not the speed of the car. Check the ignition system.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

LOG wrote:

dont forget to change cap and rotor along with the plugs, filter and the plug wires.  if you change plugs and not the rest it kinda defeats the porpuse of changing the plugs.
98 neon doesn't have a cap or rotor.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

Change your Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Engine Oil, PCV Valve and Spark Plugs/Wires if equipped.
Also if you gun it all the time you could have a leaky head gasket

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-09-11 17:36:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard