Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6749|Hell, p.o box 666

Hi folks,

I´ve builded a system for a friend half year ago with the following specs.

Intel C2D E 6750
4096MB RAM Corsair Black Dragon
1x Geforce 8800GTX 768 MB
Asus P5ND-SLI32
Windows XP 32bit
etc.

He called me yesterday and told he always gets bluescreens when he´s trying to start a game or watch a video. When he came along we´ve replaced his 8800GTX with several of my cards (NX280GTX, 9800GTX, 7900GTX, 8800Ultra) and the system was running fine, no bluescreens or other problems. We also runned some stress tests.

So Id guessed his GPU is damaged and told him to stick with my 8800Ultra until Ive checked his card with my computers.

He called me half an hour later that the bluescreens and stuff apear again. Latest drivers etc are installed.

What can it be? Anybody an idea?
Defiance
+438|6663

Test the RAM.

Consider if the PSU can take the load the system puts on it.
Take a few very careful looks at BSOD error code, and google it. That may help.

I got a few BSOD's a long time ago and it very explicitly mentioned the nVidia driver. While that's not the case in your situation unless the driver install is mangled, you might find something indicative of the problem. It's what the BSOD was meant to do.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone
Ye my best bet is also ram. Tell him top take one stick of ram out(or 2 if he has 4 sticks).
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6406|Finland

It is very likely that your friend has one of the most popular nforce issues. I had exactly the same. Nforce chipsets have horrible compatibility issues with some (even well known and tested) rams. It gets even worse with 4 sticks. (my two nforce boards often failed to POST with 4 sticks).

I could sometimes play well for hours but then open something like FF and boom screen goes blue. Really frustrating random BSODs.

edit: the same boards worked fine with different RAM and 2 sticks... maybe you Slay could try some other RAM in your friend's PC for a while and see what happens.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2008-09-04 07:42:52)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
jamiet757
+138|6614
You need to work on your past tense.

Runned and builded are not words.

Tell him to go into control panel>system>advanced system settings>startup and recovery settings

Uncheck Automatically restart, and select small or full memory dump from the drop down menu.

Next time he gets a BSOD, it will not disappear before you can read it, take a pic or write down the error codes and whatever the message says, then tell us. That will give us a better idea of what is causing the problem.

Last edited by jamiet757 (2008-09-04 08:02:47)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

jamiet757 wrote:

Knit-picky today, aren't we.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Slayer
---hates you

DeathUnlimited wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

thx for the hints jamiet... about the past tense, well, i couldnt care less. Sure you´re right about it, but hey, english isnt the only language I speak and write, so would you please forgive me my ignorance... And on the other side, I guess you got what I´ve meant in the OP, didnt you?!
jamiet757
+138|6614

Slayer wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

jamiet757 wrote:

thx for the hints jamiet... about the past tense, well, i couldnt care less. Sure you´re right about it, but hey, english isnt the only language I speak and write, so would you please forgive me my ignorance... And on the other side, I guess you got what I´ve meant in the OP, didnt you?!
did you read the rest of my post? I told you a good way to get more info.

jamiet757 wrote:

Tell him to go into control panel>system>advanced system settings>startup and recovery settings

Uncheck Automatically restart, and select small or full memory dump from the drop down menu.

Next time he gets a BSOD, it will not disappear before you can read it, take a pic or write down the error codes and whatever the message says, then tell us. That will give us a better idea of what is causing the problem.

Last edited by jamiet757 (2008-09-04 10:04:30)

SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6131|New Jersey

Defiance wrote:

Take a few very careful looks at BSOD error code, and google it. That may help.
This is seriously what you want to do... the first step (and usually only step) in troubleshooting a BSOD is figuring out what the computer is trying to tell you.  Also it usually names a particular file as a culprit for causing the crash.  So find out exactly what that file is.
Slayer
---hates you

jamiet757 wrote:

Slayer wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

did you read the rest of my post? I told you a good way to get more info.

jamiet757 wrote:

Sure and I apreciante it very much.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6479|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
holy shit!! Slayer, I heard you were dead!
Slayer
---hates you

why?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

Slayer wrote:

why?
Hm ... sacrificial burning ?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard