Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

[The US is pretty terrible across the board. Much of it is a lack of unbundling of the local loops, and a relatively very low population density. Much of it is described in detail in the many broadband quality and penetration reports out there that all rank the US very low. In Denmark, for example, more than 50% of households will have access to 100Mbps fibre to the home links within a few years through utility company optical fibre deployments. Contrast that with the US, where the percentage of households without access to high-speed Internet connections was still in the double figures last time I checked.

Fancy bar graphs are worth a thousand words:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0 … adband.png
Where does Canada fit into all this?

Last edited by Turquoise (2008-08-23 14:24:09)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
I told you some of the Scandinavian states had piloted super-fast Internet for the public sector

Surprising really isn't it to see Sweden, Denmark and Norway up there with Korea, Japan and the US!

Even crazier to see the Slovak Republic with so much fibre-optic technology!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mikkel
+383|6572

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

[The US is pretty terrible across the board. Much of it is a lack of unbundling of the local loops, and a relatively very low population density. Much of it is described in detail in the many broadband quality and penetration reports out there that all rank the US very low. In Denmark, for example, more than 50% of households will have access to 100Mbps fibre to the home links within a few years through utility company optical fibre deployments. Contrast that with the US, where the percentage of households without access to high-speed Internet connections was still in the double figures last time I checked.

Fancy bar graphs are worth a thousand words:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0 … adband.png
Better penetration, slower connections.

https://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0805/broadband-penetration-bytech.png
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

I told you some of the Scandinavian states had piloted super-fast Internet for the public sector

Surprising really isn't it to see Sweden, Denmark and Norway up there with Korea, Japan and the US!

Not really...  Scandinavia seems to have the best of a lot of things.  I'd so move to Norway if I could afford it.  It would probably also help for me to know how to speak Norwegian.
mikkel
+383|6572

Uzique wrote:

How do you see the US as being up there?
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Uzique wrote:

How do you see the US as being up there?
I think he's referring to the general perception of Americans as prosperous.  We obviously are, but we lack in certain amenities.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0 … bytech.png
Why does Canada have slower connections?
mikkel
+383|6572

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I think you'll have to ask them. It's likely down to population density, but it may just be that more isn't warranted. I don't really know how things work in Canada.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

I think you'll have to ask them. It's likely down to population density, but it may just be that more isn't warranted. I don't really know how things work in Canada.
I was just curious, because most of their people are concentrated in like 10 cities.  Also, these cities are mostly pretty close to the American border.  I know we share somewhat of a power grid with certain areas of Canada, but I wonder if the same applies to internet infrastructure....
mikkel
+383|6572

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I was just curious, because most of their people are concentrated in like 10 cities.  Also, these cities are mostly pretty close to the American border.  I know we share somewhat of a power grid with certain areas of Canada, but I wonder if the same applies to internet infrastructure....
While it seems logical to consider network infrastructure on the same level as utility infrastructure, network infrastructure isn't really influenced very much by borders. Everything goes everywhere, and the barriers are geological, rather than political. In the company I work with, for example, our interconnections with other provider networks are predominantly international, because topologically, it makes more sense. Once you get past the customer access areas of your network, it's just another router on another network on the Internet.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
BVC
+325|6666
Most plans here are metered.  Anywhere between 500MB and 80GB, the only ones who complain are those who whore bittorrent 24/7.

I have a zero limit and pay per GB.  I usually use 10-15GB/month.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

Uzique wrote:

This is new?

Almost all big ISP's in the UK have bandwidth caps, and all the rest of the 'Unlimited' providers still have a pesky 'Fair Usage Policy' which basically has a clause stating "It's unlimited to a reasonable degree, if you download a lot we'll restrict you and cap your Internet".

We got sucked in by Digiweb here in my gaff in Ireland. We were told we get 30Gigs a month and presumed that at the end of the month you go back to zero and get another 30Gigs but it turns out it's a bullshit continuous monitoring system whereby if you reach the 30Gigs limit the only way to get optimum broadband speed back is to cut back your usage...it's bullshit, it's not really 30Gigs a month at all.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Braddock wrote:

Uzique wrote:

This is new?

Almost all big ISP's in the UK have bandwidth caps, and all the rest of the 'Unlimited' providers still have a pesky 'Fair Usage Policy' which basically has a clause stating "It's unlimited to a reasonable degree, if you download a lot we'll restrict you and cap your Internet".

We got sucked in by Digiweb here in my gaff in Ireland. We were told we get 30Gigs a month and presumed that at the end of the month you go back to zero and get another 30Gigs but it turns out it's a bullshit continuous monitoring system whereby if you reach the 30Gigs limit the only way to get optimum broadband speed back is to cut back your usage...it's bullshit, it's not really 30Gigs a month at all.
The only way I'm avoiding the ludicrous Internet services on my own Home Broadband package is by refusing to migrate or change . I signed up for 'Unlimited' broadband a few years back when it was truly "unlimited" in the sense of the word... and it would be illegal for them to change the service or terms of my contract without my agreement. My ISP has even been taken over by another ISP as a parent company that are notorious for limits and monthly use packages but I'm still sailing free!

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-24 05:54:30)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Zukabazuka
+23|6656
Well we in sweden dont have limitation on our download, its sweet, thou never get up in 250gb as some people manage. I could easily do it though.
At least the big companies dont have, not sure about the smal ones.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
https://www.speedtest.net/result/313117984.png
Paying only for 15/1. about 59$ / 40€ / 32£ .

TELE Danmark FTW?

EDIT: Unlimited!

Last edited by Beduin (2008-08-24 06:43:17)

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

as low as 40GB a month
ITT: Yanks think they have it bad.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Cheez wrote:

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

as low as 40GB a month
ITT: Yanks think they have it bad.
Yeah, , my old cap was 30GB a month. Only hit it once and that was when I tried my hardest by downloading everything in sight.

With almost continuous gaming/web browsing from my brother, father and I, we never managed to hit it.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
Dumb question, but what can I use to monitor my usage? I don't have a cap, but was curious.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Uzique wrote:

This is new?

We don't have that here...  yet.

Our connections vary, but there is no limit as to how much you download.
That's what they tell us anyways.

Verizon has been known to mysteriously cut people off with no explanation.
I thought the issue with Verizon was with their wireless service only (the 5GB cap).
As long as there are more sheep than wolves we will be fine.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

nukchebi0 wrote:

Dumb question, but what can I use to monitor my usage? I don't have a cap, but was curious.
NetLimiter will tell you. You don't actually have to limit everything.

Also, because people wouldn't know their usage: Our average plans are about 10GB/month, and everyone here is comfortable with it. Mainly because we have no choice, but also because realistically, people would only use 15GB anyway. I feel the absolute minimum should be 5GB.

Leechers will use the upper 40GB plans, but they also know to stick to their ISP's unmetered content (net neutrality ftw). TPG can get fucked for service even if they do offer 80GB.

So people bitching about being capped to 100GB+ per month, give NetLimiter a go and see just how much you actually use. Bitching permits: Principles yes, but being 'limited' to 100+, stfu.

Also don't make me link to Bigpond's plans again.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
TravisC555
+118|6189|Cox Convention Center, OK

nukchebi0 wrote:

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6294|New Haven, CT
Thanks, I missed it.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

What download caps like this could kill are sites like Hulu and last.fm, that let you stream tv and music. The point is, switching to internet entirely as to avoid any effort on the consumer's side, whilst the ISP's are being fucking retarded about it.

-kon
ReTox
+100|6469|State of RETOXification

Turquoise wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Most broadband in Canada goes through only a handful of companies (Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Telus).  However there is still a huge rural population where broadband is not possible given distance and cost of installation so dial-up is the norm.  Can't even get DSL in a lot of the rural areas because of the older phone lines.  I know when I lived out in the country I was maxed at 28.8 bps.

Fiber to the home is not cost effective yet in Canada.  Cable speeds are very good though... I get (advertised) 25 down and 1 up myself:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/313490872.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard