Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6523
Three of the biggest Internet Service Providers in America are playing with the idea of turning back the clock on internet availability.

AT&T, Comcast, and Time Warner announced they are playing with a new pricing model that would take a form similar to the days of when the internet was just getting started; people would pay for the amount of amount of bandwidth they use. If a person exceeded their allotted bandwidth, you best believe they'll charge you up the ying yang.

Internet metering is a throwback to the days of dial-up service, but at a time when video and interactive games are becoming popular, the experiments could have huge implications for the future of the Web.
Apparently, now that the internet has become a staple in ever household, along with electricity, water, and gas, the ISPs want to cash in on their investments.

Time Warner is already testing the model in Texas, where customers can buy plans with a 5-gigabyte cap, a 20-gigabyte cap or a 40-gigabyte cap. Prices for those plans range from $30 to $50. Above the cap, customers pay $1 a gigabyte. Plans with higher caps come with faster service.

However, this hits a snag when you actually look at how the internet is being used today.

For the majority of people just use it to check their e-mail and maybe the news, this won't really be that much a problem.

Unfortunately, it is the innovators, the people that understand what the internet is and could be, that will be essentially priced off the net.

For those that watch videos online, play multiplayer games, or download media through itunes of netflix, (pretty much all of us) these broadband caps will catch up quickly.

Time Warner would not reveal how many gigabytes an average customer uses, saying only that 95 percent of customers use under 40 gigabytes each in a month.
Keep your money grubbing hands off my internet. It's just fine. Leave it alone.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
I've never had internet that's capped with monthly allotments. What happens currently when you exceed your limit?

Basically, it's the same as now, except they're going to charge you if you go over the limit. I'm glad I've got internet that doesn't even have limits. Remember folks, when some ISP's do shit like this, there will be some that won't and they'll be the ones to cash in.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

Gay - leave it as it is, or make it better for us >.<

-kon
Protecus
+28|6523

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

I've never had internet that's capped with monthly allotments. What happens currently when you exceed your limit?

Basically, it's the same as now, except they're going to charge you if you go over the limit. I'm glad I've got internet that doesn't even have limits. Remember folks, when some ISP's do shit like this, there will be some that won't and they'll be the ones to cash in.
That was the point of the title. Basically, the ISPs want to go back to the good ole days of AOL, then you pretty much paid monthly for a certain amount of internet.

For those of you that don't remember those days, they sucked serious donkey balls. You constantly had to count your minutes to make sure you never went over. And God forbid you did, the ISP would make sure you got charged a nice premium for every second you went over.

Now imagine that same experience, only having to keep track of ever single kilobyte you use.

That form of pricing was the main reason the internet didn't take off initially. Even if there was no real risk of people going over their caps, just the thought of a ledge somewhere in the distance kept people from totally embracing the internet.

Now they want to bring that back.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6683|Disaster Free Zone
Welcome to Australia... I mean welcome to Australia in a couple of years when we actually get as good a deal as that.

These are Australias biggest ISPs plans.
https://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2992/shitqj3.jpg
1. Additional usage charged at $0.15/MB.

** Once you've reached your usage allowance, the speed of your service will slow to 64kbps. No additional usage charges apply to BigPond Liberty plans.

## Speeds up to 30Mbps (download)/1000kbps (upload) are available in selected areas of Melbourne and Sydney when downloading from capable sites or across multiple sites. Other areas have speeds up to 17Mbps/256kbps.

They can't even give us the fastest speeds in our 2 largest cities. What hope is there for everywhere else?

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-06-15 14:41:23)

latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6658|west liberty IA
this is why you move to a small time towns like mine .
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

A lot of places in the UK already have that, but most offer a slightly more expensive package with unlimited usage.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
PureFodder
+225|6287

Dauntless wrote:

A lot of places in the UK already have that, but most offer a slightly more expensive package with unlimited usage.
Personally I refuse to use an ISP with usage caps, I guess that anyone who also cares about it will simply shift their business to providers who don't have caps. Hopefully the market will be able to sort this out itself, ISPs will find the caps are too damaging to their business.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6551|CH/BR - in UK

BT is already busting my balls with my unlimited usage. They've put restrictions on my line countless times, but refuse to call me up when it happens as we "don't have a limit, but it's a fair usage policy". I don't see how this keeps the fuckers from contacting me anyway. Unlimited usage my ass...

-kon
The#1Spot
+105|6541|byah
I doubt the US would take this kind of drastic change nicely. I would boycott it.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6355|West NY
This is a joke right...
mikkel
+383|6603
I don't see a problem with Internet products created around a traffic allotment. It isn't really turning back any clock - these plans have always existed. I only see a problem when capped products are billed as unlimited.

If I were to have a capped product, though, I'd prefer a product in which traffic only counts towards a cap in peak hours, and I really don't understand why more ISPs don't adopt this sort of plan. Egress traffic between 2AM and 4PM typically drops to about half of what it is between 4PM and 2AM. This is inefficient, as the de facto way of determining the cost of transit traffic, that is, the traffic that the ISP pays to have sent to networks that aren't directly connected to its own, is charging by the highest throughput registered in the 95th percentile of monitored intervals. Transit links are typically priced per Mbps per month, so if the highest registered value in the 95th percentile is 850Mbps, and your contract is at $20/Mbps, you're paying 850*20 = $17,000, even though you're only sending around 400Mbps half of the time.

What would really save money for ISPs is enticing users, especially powerusers, to do their downloading in off-peak periods to distribute the traffic load and bring down the peak throughput. You don't really achieve that with having traffic count towards a cap at the same rate all through the day.

Last edited by mikkel (2008-06-15 14:53:09)

**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6156|Vancouver, BC, Canada
You think that's scary...

Couple weeks ago, Stumble-upon brought me to a theory that all the major companys are plotting to turn the internet into cable TV, you pay $20/month for msn.com, BBC.com, yahoo.com, $40 for google, youtube, myspace, $50 for other social networks, and in tiny print at the bottom, "Unlimited usage pricing options negotiable"

I can't find the site because the words "Internet" and "cable" are used too much in other context.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.

**LiLp-DeFiNeD wrote:

You think that's scary...

Couple weeks ago, Stumble-upon brought me to a theory that all the major companys are plotting to turn the internet into cable TV, you pay $20/month for msn.com, BBC.com, yahoo.com, $40 for google, youtube, myspace, $50 for other social networks, and in tiny print at the bottom, "Unlimited usage pricing options negotiable"

I can't find the site because the words "Internet" and "cable" are used too much in other context.
As someone stated earlier, the market will hopefully take care of it, if one ISP would realize that not changing their services back to the shitty way it was they would cash in on a lot of users that would change to them from the gaywads that put caps on.
BVC
+325|6697
Its just like the price of petrol, really.  Americans crying when they have to pay similar prices to the rest of the world.  No sympathy here.

My plan is NZD60/month (USD45)for a naked ADSL2+ line (max ~20mbit down, ~1mbit up) with traffic being charged at NZD1/gig (USD0.75).  40 gig would cost me about NZD100 (USD75).  There are cheaper plans, but since I don't have a landline its a little more expensive.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6345|tropical regions of london
complaining about the fact that you dont complain is pretty funny.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6845|Reykjavík, Iceland.
I'm getting 1megabit down 256kilobits up, "unlimited" (ie: I'll get a warning if I'm hogging too much bandwidth, but there is no solid limit) and all for free.

It's slow, yes, but free. My dad gets this because of his job.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6572|USA

Pubic wrote:

Its just like the price of petrol, really.  Americans crying when they have to pay similar prices to the rest of the world.  No sympathy here.

My plan is NZD60/month (USD45)for a naked ADSL2+ line (max ~20mbit down, ~1mbit up) with traffic being charged at NZD1/gig (USD0.75).  40 gig would cost me about NZD100 (USD75).  There are cheaper plans, but since I don't have a landline its a little more expensive.
hey pubic, new zealand isn't the rest of the world. neither is australia and certain parts of britain. get off your high horse.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
Well, net neutrality will be next on the chopping block, so go figure....
Protecus
+28|6523

Pubic wrote:

Considering you live on an island, which is mostly remote and mountainous, your examples are more the exception, not the rule.

And the internet is working just fine right now, without caps. Why would we want to move to what can only be described as an inferior model. If the majority of people only use the internet to check their email, as the ISPs say, then what do they care if someone is using more bandwidth.

Honestly, I doubt the average user would notice a difference, performance wise, if this pricing scheme went into effect.

The ISPs see a captive audience and they want to exploit it.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

Pubic wrote:

Pubic, hey Pubic.

Bigpond's $150/GB excess.

Delicious DSL pricing:
https://img529.imageshack.us/img529/337/54380717sa8.png

Delicious 3G Data pricing
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
David.P
Banned
+649|6275
You do know what will happen if this passes right? Those without Identity will descend upon the ISP's with the Force of an Undetermined amount. For it is excessive beyond all comprehension of the selfish and greedy.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

Cheez wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Pubic, hey Pubic.

Bigpond's $150/GB excess.

Delicious DSL pricing:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/337/54380717sa8.png

Delicious 3G Data pricing
You can't compare 3G to normal internet pricing.

Last edited by Dauntless (2008-06-15 17:24:37)

https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
mikkel
+383|6603
Jesus, I get 7.2Mbps 3G data service with a 10GiB traffic cap and a free USB HSDPA modem for $50/mo on a 6 month contract here in Denmark.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6558|Kent, UK
I pay £17/month for 8meg unlimited broadband and phone line with free calls within the UK.

You guys are getting F'd in the A

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard