Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

The smaller the country, the more successful/wealthy?  What do you think?

Luxembourg, San Marino and Vatican City are freaking loaded.
It's only because they're surrounded by rich countries. If Lux/SM/VC/Monaco were isolated islands that weren't surrounded by rich countries they'd be nothing. Literally.

All the big countries such as the UK/France/Netherlands/Germany/Switzerland/Italy that are near/surround those small places are the reasons why those small countries are prosperous.

A country can only truly prosper if it's neighbours are also upto scratch

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-07 08:36:14)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

As if DBBinson doesnt repeat what McCain says?
I don't regurgitate what McCain says.
lol

Cant have it both ways.  You accused me of regurgitate what Obama says.  Even when I'm not.
13rin
+977|6449

Spearhead wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

As if DBBinson doesnt repeat what McCain says?
I don't regurgitate what McCain says.
lol

Cant have it both ways.  You accused me of regurgitate what Obama says.  Even when I'm not.
Show me where I accused you of regurgitating what Obama says?
What I have are valid points.  All you have is a chant of "change".

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Did ya give him back change?  Obama is everywhere on every topic.  It merely depends on which day of the week.  He's a friggin' pole policy maker.  Did I mention that he has no friggin' experience? example: troop surge.

Imagine if you sat on the board of a big ass company that you're heavily invested in and one of the board members brings forward some guy without a resume or any business experience, stating that for some reason we need to get this guy in the CEO chair asap without ever telling you anything other and change- Would you vote to seat him as CEO?  Yea...

Which bring me to my next point.  We do know who McCain is. Hell, we all know McCain is the "renegade" Senator, "reaching across the aisles to" ....  Which means that McCain is hardly the conservative candidate.   However, he is the more predictable of the two.  McCain IS NO Bush.  But thank god he isn't as left as Ob.
Our version of the Left would be considered Right in Europe.  We're by far the most conservative country in the First World, which actually makes us closer to the Third World in mindset (since the Third World tends to be very conservative).  With as conservative as Bush has been about certain things, I'd like things to swing leftward now.

Of course, if it swings too far leftward, we'll just see 1994 all over again in 2010.  McCain may not be exactly like Bush, but he's run his campaign like he wants to be the next Bush.  I don't want that.  I'll take the flip flopper...  just somebody other than another neocon.
The US is third world like now? Turq has finally gone off the deep end. Either that or hasn't any idea of what defines a nation as third world.
I was mostly referring to social conservatism. We are, by far, one of the most socially conservative countries in the First World.  The only things we tend to be comparatively liberal on are immigration, citizenship (including dealing with illegals), race relations, and abortion (since we allow it for a longer period of time than most other countries).  Everything else is usually handled comparatively very conservatively.

However, if we're talking about economics, most Third World countries are still very conservative -- if conservative is defined as having little to no social safety net.  The poorest nations on the planet don't really have much of a social safety net at all, and they usually have a very small and very rich elite class running everything.  Look at how most of Africa is.  India isn't much better either.  Indonesia is pretty Darwinian.  The list goes on...

Still, you are correct that there are exceptions to the rule.  South America has taken a leftist turn in recent years, but it's to be expected considering the extreme right-wing governments that preceded the current ones.  Cuba became leftist after they overthrew an aristocracy we supported.

It's funny how we've mostly supported right wing governments during the Cold War, but I guess with most of the left wing ones having been Communist or Communist-sympathetic, it's to be expected.  Still, it gives an insight into the leanings of our system.
Thorax
Banned
+77|5774
But didn't you hear?  They found oil in Nor-Dakota!

javascript:CNNPlaylistManager.getInstance().BVPMVideoSelected('/video/us/2008/08/05/sot.farmer.boomtown.cnn.json','by_section_us');

Trip around the world would be fun.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado

ATG wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

pyscofrawg wrote:

Ugh, why can't we just have Ron Paul?
because he's an asshole and the peoeple who follow him are wierdos.
I take it you have never heard him speak.

What issue do you have with The Constitution that you would brand it's believers in the one guy best defending it as weirdos.

Again, all emotion, no logic.
Jesus man, do you ever read the news?
QFT

Ron Paul had the best ideas out of both parties, the fact that he wasn't the rep. nominee is proof that our system is broken & needs an overhaul.

On the obama issue I've been saying from the start that he's a moron, now he's just gonna keep smiling till the election that he will not win.
SealXo
+309|6506

TrollmeaT wrote:

ATG wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

because he's an asshole and the peoeple who follow him are wierdos.

What issue do you have with The Constitution that you would brand it's believers in the one guy best defending it as weirdos.

QFT

Ron Paul had the best ideas out of both parties, the fact that he wasn't the rep. nominee is proof that our system is broken & needs an overhaul.

On the obama issue I've been saying from the start that he's a moron, now he's just gonna keep smiling till the election that he will not win.
I think Paul wasnt recieved well because he wasnt very good at speaking. It was hard to understand what he was talking about.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
somebody will find a way to stop the madness
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado

SealXo wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

ATG wrote:

QFT

I think Paul wasnt recieved well because he wasnt very good at speaking. It was hard to understand what he was talking about.
I think he wasn't recieved well because he was next to guys with $1,000+ suits on when he had his old K-mart hand me down suit on.
I thought it was great, he was one of us.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas
https://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-08/41493539.jpg

Sorry, had to be posted.
SealXo
+309|6506

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-08/41493539.jpg

Sorry, had to be posted.
+1 sir.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-08/41493539.jpg

Sorry, had to be posted.
Awesome... Obama has it under control... and who would have thought the answer was so easy...lol?
Love is the answer
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ
Don't vote... Bottom line, they're such a push to get young voters out there because our voter polls are down.. Down voter polls = citizens that don't care and that = nervous politicians..

So I say fuck the reps and the dems and don't vote or vote for a third party to show the same old parties that they're shit and don't run the government correctly.. Even though the days of Clinton where really great for this country, maybe we should vote DEM.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ
And a good energy plan is to open up new Nuclear Power Plants(all the ones we have are from the 70's) and worry about our infrastructure.. Make better mass transit so Gas isn't a priority.. It's really that easy.
topthrill05
+125|6548|Rochester NY USA
So when Obama lays out an energy plan that includes personal responsibility and you guys mock him.

Obama "Flip Flops", thanks for the news flash, ever watch McCain?

I have always understood the grips with Obama because I hold them myself, but how anyone thinks McCain will be any better is beyond me. DBB you do bring up some great points tbh, but almost all of them McCain is guilty of as well.

It comes down to McCain where things will remain somewhat the same, or we can have a little risk and maybe turn the country around, my bet is with Obama, the hole can't get much deeper anyway.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
When it comes to Obama, the audacity of trying to change our constitution because he feels things would be better without guns makes me furious. They can pry my guns out of my dead hands. His energy plan is a joke, take away the kick backs to the oil companies?! Sure lets hurt one of successful sectors in business that drives innovation, technology not to mention jobs. Everyone looks at the billions of profits they make & puts blame on them. Why?! They made the investment in time, money, labor & the mind to get this oil out of the ground & will continue to invest in our future with their profits.
His other plans aren't even worth mentioning as he has no idea what the needs of this country are. McCain isn't much better on many issues but at least his energy plan is sound & makes sense, use our own resources which we have massive amounts of.
Ron Paul was the logical choice but the masses didn't see that.
Oh & thanks for the karma that said I'm an idiot topthrill05, isn't that behavior unacceptable on these forums, maybe you need an AWM from a mod.

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2008-08-16 17:20:43)

Turquoise
O Canada

TrollmeaT wrote:

When it comes to Obama, the audacity of trying to change our constitution because he feels things would be better without guns makes me furious. They can pry my guns out of my dead hands. His energy plan is a joke, take away the kick backs to the oil companies?! Sure lets hurt one of successful sectors in business that drives innovation, technology not to mention jobs. Everyone looks at the billions of profits they make & puts blame on them. Why?! They made the investment in time, money, labor & the mind to get this oil out of the ground & will continue to invest in our future with their profits.
His other plans aren't even worth mentioning as he has no idea what the needs of this country are. McCain isn't much better on many issues but at least his energy plan is sound & makes sense, use our own resources which we have massive amounts of.
Ron Paul was the logical choice but the masses didn't see that.
Oh & thanks for the karma that said I'm an idiot topthrill05, isn't that behavior unacceptable on these forums, maybe you need an AWM from a mod.
A true advocate of free market economics would reject any form of kickbacks, most certainly the ones given to oil companies.  If you like Paul's stance on things, you would agree with his view that corporate welfare is what encourages corporate fascism in government where the income of working class citizens is funneled to corporations.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
Well me & paul don't agree on everything, & if we were a true free market maybe I'd agree with that view but until that day no.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Don't vote... Bottom line, they're such a push to get young voters out there because our voter polls are down.. Down voter polls = citizens that don't care and that = nervous politicians..

So I say fuck the reps and the dems and don't vote or vote for a third party to show the same old parties that they're shit and don't run the government correctly.. Even though the days of Clinton where really great for this country, maybe we should vote DEM.
Oh sure the great days of the clintons where our security leaks were so bad we lost the plans for our best nukes to china?!
Little miss hilary involved in the white water scandal, & bill caught with his pants down all with no repercussions or punishment other than a bit of embarrassment.

Citizens that don't care are what the politicians want, they bank on your apathy so yeah you need to vote at least third party.

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2008-08-16 18:55:03)

Turquoise
O Canada

TrollmeaT wrote:

Well me & paul don't agree on everything, & if we were a true free market maybe I'd agree with that view but until that day no.
...so you're happy to give your tax money to corporations that don't even need your cash?...
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
Since when don't they need it, even with the massive profits they gained they will have to reinvest all of that for future projects & we want to punish the makers of energy whilst were in a crisis. I'd rather give them money as I haven't recieved anything for my war investment yet.
Turquoise
O Canada

TrollmeaT wrote:

Since when don't they need it, even with the massive profits they gained they will have to reinvest all of that for future projects & we want to punish the makers of energy whilst were in a crisis. I'd rather give them money as I haven't recieved anything for my war investment yet.
I'd rather keep my money.  I'm surprised you wouldn't.  Big Business is far from being as noble in its intentions as you seem to believe it is.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
I'm just tired of big business taking the wrap for the failings of our government & then fliping the bill.

Last edited by TrollmeaT (2008-08-16 19:24:12)

Turquoise
O Canada

TrollmeaT wrote:

I'm just tired of big business taking the wrap for the failings of our government & then fliping the bill.
You realize that a lot of the failings result from the government directing our money to corporations that make more than enough profit by EARNING it rather than having it thrown at them with subsidies.

Giving oil companies tax money is adding insult to injury with the current rising gas prices.  I'm not blaming the corporations for the rise, but I'm certainly not going to part with more of my income for the sake of lining some CEO's wallet.
SealXo
+309|6506

Turquoise wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

You realize that a lot of the failings result from the government directing our money to corporations that make more than enough profit by EARNING it rather than having it thrown at them with subsidies.

Giving oil companies tax money is adding insult to injury with the current rising gas prices.  I'm not blaming the corporations for the rise, but I'm certainly not going to part with more of my income for the sake of lining some CEO's wallet.
Corporations don't get taxed, the people do. Big CEO is going to get his paycheck either way.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard