David.P
Banned
+649|6266
With the release of the Movie, I've decided to read up on the watchmen comics, After hearing how much everyone's praise for them and all. Well after reading the whole series, I gotta say it was kinda boring, I don't understand why it's so highly praised. All it is just a bunch of guy's who wear costumes and go around fulfilling their self-masturbatory fantasies to me. So what if they wanna save the world and shit. Honestly how can anyone say this was good? Now not all of it was bad. I like DR. Manhattan. He was the only one that was not wanting to be a Hero.(He just wanted to be left alone and finish his work) and Rorschach was okay, But the Comedian, Nite Owl, Ozymandis, and the Silk Specter's all cared about one thing. People's perception of them. Comedian didn't care about doing the right thing, he only wanted to have power over people. Nite Owl looked like a wannabe faggot. And the Silk Specter's just pretended to be hero's to satisfy their attention whore personalities.(Well Silk Specter 2 was forced by her Mother the First Silk Specter to become a hero, So you really can't blame her) Ozymandis was the Biggest Self Masturbator of them all. He whored his Image for what? Money? Some people will say "But that's the point, it's supposed to be a deconstruction of the Modern day super hero." or "It shows how ridiculous America's perceptions of Hero's are." No that's not it. You know what I honestly think? It failed as serious Comic when it was pitched, so they had to put on the Parody Label to get the Editor's to take it seriously. Then it got all this critical acclaim about it, and was called "The Catalyst of Darker more Realistic Heroes and Villains." That's also not true. Anyone remember Batman in 1939? Or the Joker's first appearance in 1940? Do you know what the Joker did in his first comic? He poisoned Boy scouts with cotton candy. I have yet to see a more evil and darker villain then that.(And in each and every incarnation during his reboot he became darker and more insane.) Honestly can anyone see a Buckley resemblance here or not?

You know what I can't wait for? After the Movie premieres all these faggots are gonna be dressing up as the Heroes from the Movie and go about spouting catch phrases trying to look cool.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
Read through it again, the first time I didnt like it much either. 

And it came out in the 80's.  Its old.  And you've seemed to have missed a lot of what the novel is about.  As in, 3/4ths of it.

Its one of my favorite books.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-08-12 16:53:12)

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK
Yeah, i do.  Seriously they should really do something about it, as it really annoys me too.  No it enrages me and i want to break shit, smash shit and crash shit.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)

m3thod wrote:

Yeah, i do.  Seriously they should really do something about it, as it really annoys me too.  No it enrages me and i want to break shit, smash shit and crash shit.
I C wot U did there.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6125
I actually liked it. I read it just because my friend was freaking out that we missed the trailer for it at the dark knight... I didn't understand why iit was such a big deal. I read it, and liked it. I just think anyone who doesn't know anything about it will figure it's another movie like X-men and probably decide not to watch it just because some of the stuff you see in the trailer looks pretty goofy. I can see it from the perspective of someone who has read it and thinks wow that looks perfect, and then I can see it from the perspective of the person who hasn't read it and thinks, "wow this looks ridiculous."
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Don't get much darker than Rorschach tbh.

'at age 16, Walter was informed of his mother's gruesome murder; her pimp force-fed her a bottle of Drano until she died in agony. Walter's reaction consisted of only a single word: "Good."'

'In 1975, Rorschach was searching for a kidnapped child and found her captor's vacant hideout. A cursory inspection revealed, to his horror, that the girl had been murdered, butchered, and fed to two German Shepherd dogs. In the face of this atrocity, Kovacs' mind snapped and assumed the mental identity of Rorschach as a separate personality. He killed the dogs with a meat cleaver and waited for the kidnapper. Kovacs later mentioned, "shock of impact ran along my arm. It was Kovacs who said 'mother' then, muffled under Latex. It was Kovacs who closed his eyes. It was Rorschach who opened them again." When the man returned, he wordlessly chained him to a pipe, ignoring his claims of innocence (the man telling Rorschach: "Y-you can't prove anything. I mean, wh-where's the evidence", suggesting that he fed the girl to the dogs to get rid of the 'evidence'), then placed a hacksaw near him and set the house on fire. Finally speaking, he told the terrified man that he would not have time to cut through his restraints before the fire killed him (implying that he would have to sever his own arm to escape). Rorschach calmly watched the structure burn from across the street; the suspected kidnapper did not emerge.'

@ wikipedia's comic book writers. They take that shit pretty seriously.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6834|Missoula, MT
Watchmen...what is that?  A bunch of men with watches?  I guess I qualify.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6734|London

I've never heard of watchmen so I guess if they are as bad as david says, they are rated just enough for me.

Also, gtfo with the off-topic e-penis arguments lately... fuck. If you don't like a guy do I and everyone else need to read about it?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
There is nothing wrong with this OP. You guys need to judge posts on their content, not the little name right beside them. Someone you don't like can post completely valid points.
David.P
Banned
+649|6266
You guys want me to post the Issues I didn't delete?
A W S M F O X R O X
Banned
+55|5763|A W S M F O X
Boring series, happy they are making a new Punisher film that isnt a remake of Saturday Night Fever or some shit that ruined the 90's.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
Kind of like people who watch Lost.

You either think its the best thing ever or you think its "boring".  Its probably bc the latter just don't get it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard