B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6834|Cologne, Germany

ah, ok, I wasn't really sure wether it was the fact that the child was being born handicapped was the issue, or the fact that the people who were in charge of her let her die.

Now, about the handicapped from birth issue, I don't know. As I said, I am an agnostic. Wether god exists or not is irrelevant to me, and thus I don't think there is a plan. There are probably medical / biological reason why the girl was born that way.
I could only speculate what a religious person would tell you, but I doubt that even a religious person would find a plan here.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England
Religious folk. What's the difference between you and a 9/11 Conspiracy theorist
ReTox
+100|6492|State of RETOXification
This is my schism with religion and anyone who thinks they KNOW God.

For me, thinking God creates hardship, or deformity at birth, or anything else that pisses us off in our daily lives is laughable at the least and down right disturbing in the extreme.  Anyone who proclaims they know what God wants is only seeking the spotlight, soapbox in hand.

I don't believe in the devil but I do believe in evil as an idea of extremely bad behavior towards others.  Allowing a child to waste away and die is beyond disgusting, beyond malicious, it is as close to evil in deed as my belief of what evil is allows.

To hear that this sort of thing appears to be reoccurring in Philadelphia social services is deeply troublesome.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6512|Πάϊ

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Religious folk. What's the difference between you and a 9/11 Conspiracy theorist
facts
ƒ³
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6336|tropical regions of london
oh no...
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6759|UK

oug wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

facts
wat
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6512|Πάϊ
lol
ƒ³
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6542|UK

My sig was written by a christian, I was all set to go with the ''fuck it'' and become an atheist, but, after reading the likes of dawkinds, hitchens, and that TWAT harris (man he fucking anoys me), am less sure about it.

Deism is probably the group I feel most at home in.  The asumption made is that ''god'' gives a flying fuck about anything we do.  According to the theists maybe, I doubt it.

I look at it like, we have a piece of art (the universe).  Therefor, it's only natural to presume there is some sort of artist.  Said artist, doesnt need to be some sort of big daddy in the sky whos son was nailed to a plank of wood or to repeat, cares about what you do. 

Sig rounds it off me thinks.

Martyn
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Vilham wrote:

oug wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

facts
wat
exactly
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6759|UK

usmarine wrote:

Vilham wrote:

oug wrote:

facts
wat
exactly
Facts and religion seem to be a bit of an oxymoron to me.
clogar
damn ain't it great to be a laxer
+32|5948|Minnesota
are ya'll atheists, or just anti-Christian?
topal63
. . .
+533|6711

clogar wrote:

I am a Christian atheist. I have been an atheist since about age 13+/-. I was an atheist when both my children were baptised as Christians. I am not hedging any bets by doing such, or making a pascal's-wager deceitfully. I don't attend church, but when I used to go I enjoyed it - even though I wasn't a believer. I've never really had a bad experience with a priest, nun, or devout family member. I simply do not believe and cannot believe. But, I do believe in tradition, ceremony, community and the power of myth; and I believe in the symbolic/psychological nature of myth and mythical symbology.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6614|London, England

clogar wrote:

I don't think I'm a die-hard atheist, but I like bashing religion. Especially the preaching/converting religions like Christianity and Islam that seem to rather want to tell everyone else how they're all bad for not following their religion and how they're doing "wrong" things instead of focusing on more important things

Why can't they just shut up and keep it to themselves, that goes for die-hard atheists too. It's because these religions tell people that if they can convert someone they'll get an instant ticket to heaven/paradise and shit. That's just wrong and immoral.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-01 12:25:20)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6759|UK
Buddhism is the only good religion tbh. The only one that preaches good principles throughout.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6216|Escea

Vilham wrote:

Buddhism is the only good religion tbh. The only one that preaches good principles throughout.
An some of them do kung-fu as well.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6735|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
this is a bit off topic but it's kind of relevant to "Gods plan"  it's about a story I heard tonight, a story of true deep unashamed sectarian bigotry like is to be found here in the north of Ireland if you scratch below the surface.  A friend of mine's father is on his death bed, so, everyone is rallying round the family during this difficult time, and, of course the persons life is being recounted in the tails being told by those gathered at the house during his passing.

Way back during the troubles, this Unionist  (who is still alive and still a senior member of the British establishment so i'm not mentioning any names) was ambushed and shot by the IRA.  To cut a long story short,  this man who is now dying saved this guys life after the attack, while the Unionists mother was screaming down the hospital that she wanted a Protestant surgeon and not a Catholic operating on her seriously wounded son.

months later after the sucessfull operation that saved his life ?  he couldn't even bring himself to write a letter of thanks  after he had fully recovered. It had to be written more or less on his behalf by someone else.  A few years ago the two met again at a garden party & still he refused to even have his picture taken with the surgeon who saved his life all those years ago, because? he was a Catholic.     Gods plan indeed
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6438|The Land of Scott Walker
Belief is optional and up to us to decide with the free will we are given by God.  Death and suffering entered the world because of the choice allowed to Adam and Eve.  Why did God allow free will?  Because He wants a relationship with us.  In order for there to be no suffering or pain on earth, it would be necessary eliminate choice.     

So what to do with the injustice we see when our fellow humans bring on one another? 

1. Blame God for creating us and giving us free will
2. Point the finger at those who chose to bring suffering on a fellow human being
... those are the choices. 

We demand God step in and stop the suffering and pain we see here on earth before we will acknowledge both His existence and His justice.  Do we also demand God step in when we revel in our independence when life is pleasurable?  I think not.  We squirm like toddlers in a car seat regarding God's existence until life starts to hurt and then we howl and pout for rescue.  Why do we behave in such a contradictory manner?  We're human and cannot possibly comprehend eternity, yet we demand God apply His justice now according to our liking.  A little arrogant for created beings aren't we?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Stingray24 wrote:

A little arrogant for created beings aren't we?
evolved beings imo.

but i still love you
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6438|The Land of Scott Walker
hugs usmarine
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America

topal63 wrote:

clogar wrote:

I am a Christian atheist. I have been an atheist since about age 13+/-. I was an atheist when both my children were baptised as Christians. I am not hedging any bets by doing such, or making a pascal's-wager deceitfully. I don't attend church, but when I used to go I enjoyed it - even though I wasn't a believer. I've never really had a bad experience with a priest, nun, or devout family member. I simply do not believe and cannot believe. But, I do believe in tradition, ceremony, community and the power of myth; and I believe in the symbolic/psychological nature of myth and mythical symbology.
You ought to go for the free music and complementary unleavened bread and booze (/heresy)

Seriously though, I love when the organ starts belting out Ode to Joy, although the lyrics they have now are crap and should just have kept the German ones (which is what I think of/would sing to anyway). Advent is a fun time, though, too. I love hearing "O Come All Ye Faithful" or "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" blasting from an organ.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2008-08-01 17:36:09)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

when you put money in the collection plate this sunday, i want you to think of this story.  or at least remember these words.

"Unable to help herself because of her cerebral palsy, she wasted away from malnutrition and maggot-infested bedsores that ate her flesh. She died alone on a putrid mattress in her mother's home, the floor covered in feces. She was 14 but weighed just 42 pounds."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_ … th_charges

Last edited by usmarine (2008-08-01 19:06:22)

liquix
+51|6446|Peoples Republic of Portland
to create life, give it free will, then punish it for not following what you say.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

liquix wrote:

to create life, give it free will, then punish it for not following what you say.
oh ok.  i bet if you had maggots eating your flesh that would comfort you.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6665|Colorado
Sad, but when are people going to look to reason instead of faith.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
some of you worship this thing, person, being, spirit, w/e called god and say he/she/it has a plan for everyone.  this is his/her/its plan?  this is what you worship?  his/hers/its plan is to have someone born handicapped and then suffer till the bitter end.  fucking awesome.  fucks sake wake the fuck up.
If there is a god they are not worth worshipping IMO.
My ex-GF just got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.
Fucking hell, if there is a god he/she is a motherfucker.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard