usmarine2
Banned
+233|5812|Dublin, Ohio
"LONDON (AP) -England has banned young children from playing for league and cup trophies in football in a bid to remove pressure from parents and coaches."
http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/10879564

----------------

Why are we starting to be so soft on kids?  My god, we are raising myspace and WoW pussies.  No wonder kids shot up schools and stab people.
jord
+2,382|6699|The North, beyond the wall.

usmarine2 wrote:

"LONDON (AP) -England has banned young children from playing for league and cup trophies in football in a bid to remove pressure from parents and coaches."
http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/10879564

----------------

Why are we starting to be so soft on kids?  My god, we are raising myspace and WoW pussies.  No wonder kids shot up schools and stab people.
Under eight year olds? I don't remember shit from when I was eight. You should start playing competitive football at high school and that's it.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5812|Dublin, Ohio
I remember my trophies from soccer when I was that young.
jord

usmarine2 wrote:

I honestly remember about 1 match from that age and that from being a decent Football player all my life.
That said my school team never won trophies...

Under 8's shouldn't have pressure in sports. There all pretty much the same at that age anyway. Wait until the teens until they start playing properly I say,
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5812|Dublin, Ohio

jord wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

I honestly remember about 1 match from that age and that from being a decent Football player all my life.

Under 8's shouldn't have pressure in sports. There all pretty much the same at that age anyway. Wait until the teens until they start playing properly I say,
then why are you playing?  you have to learn to lose also.
jord

usmarine2 wrote:

jord wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

then why are you playing?  you have to learn to lose also.
I know you do that's a basic life lesson. However pushy parents are dickgobblers. Under 8's don't need that pressure that early.

Last edited by jord (2008-06-27 18:01:43)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6432|'Murka

Saw a deal on the news this morning about a town in FL that has banned the municipal All-Star game for 8-12 yr olds. Apparently, that's too early for kids to learn that some people have strengths and some have weaknesses.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6728|67.222.138.85
It shouldn't be the focus at that age, but it should be present.

edit: I saw a kid that couldn't have been over 10 literally getting cussed at by his coach because he messed up in practice. Some parents do take it too far. Should that be for the government to decide? Probably not.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5812|Dublin, Ohio
I think it sets the wrong foundation.
Flaming_Maniac

usmarine2 wrote:

Well you probably think all kids should be going through a Parris Island for toddlers. Not that that would be such a bad thing, actually.
Reciprocity
+721|6602|the dank(super) side of Oregon
most kids just wanna have fun.  It's the obnoxious parents and coaches, trying to rewrite their own failed lives.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5812|Dublin, Ohio

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

Well you probably think all kids should be going through a Parris Island for toddlers. Not that that would be such a bad thing, actually.
well it gets worse.  where is the line?  some schools dont use letter grades anymore, too much pressure.  Some youth basketball leagues dont even keep score.  WHAT???????????
Flaming_Maniac

usmarine2 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

well it gets worse.  where is the line?  some schools dont use letter grades anymore, too much pressure.  Some youth basketball leagues dont even keep score.  WHAT???????????
Oh yeah, there is waaaay too much coddling going on. Nobody is a failure, everyone is a winner, and these kids are just going to nosedive the second they have to pay their own bills. How to turn things around however...
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6160|New Jersey

usmarine2 wrote:

It does.  Kids need to learn that the world is a cold place and life sucks sometimes.  Coddling them until they're teenagers will fuck them up.
jord

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

usmarine2 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Oh yeah, there is waaaay too much coddling going on. Nobody is a failure, everyone is a winner, and these kids are just going to nosedive the second they have to pay their own bills. How to turn things around however...
You know about a bit older I got the pressure and I didn't like it but it probably helped me. 50+ people watching as you're on the ball is fucking scary and adults shouting at you is too. It probably did help me though with confidence and such, though I wouldn't go through it again.
Reciprocity
competition and pressure are good things at the appropriate age.  A baseball dad chewing out his 8yo son for missing a flyball is not a good thing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

Bottom line: if one form of competition is restricted, kids, being humans and not completely dull-minded herd animals (except under special circumstances), will automatically find another.

usmarine2 wrote:

Marvelous leap of logic. An angry, competitive sport is restricted, and kids shoot up schools and stab people...

I agree that people are too soft on them at times, if you don't count the flensing of skin now and then with enormous belt buckles.

=Reciprocity]competition and pressure are good things at the appropriate age.  A baseball dad chewing out his 8yo son for missing a flyball is not a good thing.
Yes. Competition is actually good for kids (preparing the pampered ones for reality and all that), but the parents and other adults get way too personally involved. Therein lies my beef with the whole thing. I haven't been through one kiddie contest that wasn't rigged by someone's family member or friend of family.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5812|Dublin, Ohio
So you fix the parent problem by ruining a life lesson for kids?  great.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6477|The edge of sanity
This is a bad move. If you remove the competitive drive from children at such a young age all you will achieve is to make your population mediocre at everything it does. There will be no progress except by those few who have internal drive or the drive of competition instilled into them by someone in their sphere of influence.
Reciprocity
It's not really a life lesson for a little kid because they don't really give a shit.  I remember playing on peewee leagues, and even at 9 or 10 knowing it was all bullshit, because one team was invariable stacked, the refs/umps played favorites, and the kids who hated it the most always had the most enthusiastic dads.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5982|Washington DC
Why do parents get so into it anyway? It's not like there's fucking money on the line. Chances are your kid will pursue something OTHER than pro *insert sport here*. Don't coddle them with shit like no scoring or 'everybody wins'... but don't get so god damned into it. Don't adults have things to worry about like taxes?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6702|Disaster Free Zone

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It shouldn't be the focus at that any age, but it should be present.
Fixed.

usmarine2 wrote:

some schools dont use letter grades anymore
Not since primary school did we get 'letter' grades. Everything was marked on percentage.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-06-27 22:34:28)

Home
Section.80
+447|6869|Seattle, Washington, USA

Stupid. I remember soccer matches from when I was a kid, I think I learned some good lessons. Granted, I had the support of good parents, where some parents push their kids into the sports thing way too hard.

I even had a coach who did the whole "getting pissy and cussing because his 1st grade soccer team lost" thing. I think I learned from it. Maybe I'm an exception (doubt it) but I never really felt the pressure from his little tantrums, it just made me realize that adults can be immature assholes too.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Failure is part of life. It is how we grow.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6671
WTF!?

I give up understanding the Brits sometimes and I'm one of them..coming from a very competitive footballer I'll say this is really really really pathetic.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard