ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6636
Well I'm about to get on the treadmill and start my walk. Today is my first day I'll be doing this, and I'll be doing it everyday until summer is over. I want to gradually work up my speed and distance. What are some good tips when it comes to jogging/running/fast paced walking?
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6524|London (At Heart)

1. Alternate between sprinting / walking.

2. Go outside you lazy bum, you don't need TV whilst running.

3. Don't run every day, run 3 - 4 times a week.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6567|Portland, OR, USA
Move your legs quickly
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

stretching, before and after ... underated

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-06-11 14:32:28)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6629

jsnipy wrote:

stretching, before and after ... underated
Very, under rated.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6399|dm_maidenhead
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6636
@Shem I would go outside, but it is 93 degrees out side and the humidity is at 30%.  Thanks for the other advice though.

@Commie ...

@jsnipy Didn't even think about that. Thanks.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6668|UK
Stretch before you start.

Use a jogging pace or walk to warm up your muscles before you turn the speed up for running.

Try High Intensity Interval Traning (google it) for really burning fat.  It 3x (or 9x by some other sources) better than running at a static speed.  If you're really feelin like a champ try Tabata....

Don't run every day.  You knees and ankles will thank you for it.  Mix your cardio exercises up the cross trainer, cycle, rowing, swimming etc

Any more than 45 mins and you'll go into muscle wastage, something to bear in mind if you're doing weights as well.

And stretch again when you've finished.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-06-11 14:36:44)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
Yep, need to stretch before and after. Work through a stitch and keep your breathing aerobic for the most part. Go at a setting you are comfortable at to begin with, and gradually work higher. When it gets too tough, don't be afraid to tone it down of course. I've seen people break their arms from overworking on a treadmill.

Outside running is even better than inside running. Fresher oxygen + hills etc put more strain on you, which is a good thing in the long run. It is very important to do stretches afterwards.

Have fun!
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6636
@m3thod Thanks, I have a pool in my backyard so I can swim laps and stuff.

@kylef Stretching, will do. I want to run outside, but I don't like people looking at me running and stuff.

I'm gonna go start right now.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5958|Washington DC

m3thod wrote:

Stretch before you start.

Use a jogging pace or walk to warm up your muscles before you turn the speed up for running.

Try High Intensity Interval Traning (google it) for really burning fat.  It 3x (or 9x by some other sources) better than running at a static speed.  If you're really feelin like a champ try Tabata....

Don't run every day.  You knees and ankles will thank you for it.  Mix your cardio exercises up the cross trainer, cycle, rowing, swimming etc

Any more than 45 mins and you'll go into muscle wastage, something to bear in mind if you're doing weights as well.

And stretch again when you've finished.
This man wins the game

@Reaper, just don't run around shirtless and people won't look at you. Speaking of which, I saw this smokin' hot chick walkin down the street in a sports bra and super tight sports pants. I gave the redwood forests a run for their money at that moment.

Last edited by HurricaИe (2008-06-11 14:42:35)

SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5971|England

Dont use a treadmill

Seriously its boring as hell, run in the outdoors.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland

ThaReaper wrote:

@kylef Stretching, will do. I want to run outside, but I don't like people looking at me running and stuff.

It might seem like nonsense now, but in the morning you'll thank me! When I first decided to do treadmilling, I just hopped on, ran until I was tired then went to sleep. 6 hours later, my muscles had pretty much stiffened up completely and it took hours to have them relax. A simple after-stretch can really help this.

I have been doing posture exercises recently, forgot to do a bit of easy stretching afterwards and sure enough woke up with some pretty damn sore shoulder muscles!
Stimey
­
+786|6117|Ontario | Canada
Fields of Purple flowers help relax your muscles and make it easier while still putting on strain.
­
­
­
­
­
­
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6636

kylef wrote:

ThaReaper wrote:

It might seem like nonsense now, but in the morning you'll thank me! When I first decided to do treadmilling, I just hopped on, ran until I was tired then went to sleep. 6 hours later, my muscles had pretty much stiffened up completely and it took hours to have them relax. A simple after-stretch can really help this.

I have been doing posture exercises recently, forgot to do a bit of easy stretching afterwards and sure enough woke up with some pretty damn sore shoulder muscles!
Well what kind of stretches should I do anyways?
m3thod
+2,197|6668|UK
Before running

https://www.tamartrotters.co.uk/running_advice/stretching_before.gif

After running

https://www.tamartrotters.co.uk/running_advice/stretching_after.gif

google images has loads more.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-06-11 14:53:08)

Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6738|United States
Don't do this:

Brasso
+1,549|6627

walking?  what are you, fat?

just kidding.  try jogging for starters, but if you get tired, you can walk.  just make sure you keep that heart rate up.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6707|Sweden
Running is like dope but better once you get that "runners high" your caught nothing can stop you from running

Method had the game but i´m just assuming here your in pretty bad shape? If so i would´nt bother with interval training it´s excellent workout but i think you´ll get allot more focusing on running now in the beginning, you´ll increase in distance and speed real fast early on just remember to go slow it takes long time for your knees and muscles to adapt.

If your still gonna do intervals ( awesome training ) make sure to warm up good! injuries are almost guranteed if your going cold. Just keep on pushing slow of course

One last note don´t you have any terrain tracks near your home? why not visit one and take a run there ( if you don´t want to run in public ) running in nature feels so much better i would be bored to death running at a tread after a few kms.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6442|EE Chat
Do a lot of interval training. Like one minute of sprinting then 2 minutes of walking. Repeat.
m3thod
+2,197|6668|UK

haffeysucks wrote:

walking?  what are you, fat?

just kidding.  try jogging for starters, but if you get tired, you can walk.  just make sure you keep that heart rate up.
I would advise walking.  The body has an incredible capacity to accustom itself to the stresses that is placed upon it.  You'll eventually plateau as it will accuractely second guess what you are doing i.e. maintaining your heartbeat at a certain level and your gains will be crap. Of course unless your into endurance then conditioning yourself is recommended.

By constantly changing the stresses walking, running, jogging, sprinting you'll be able to make progress and gains faster without ever plateauing. Tabata really takes this to extremes, 10 seconds of walking and then 30 seconds full on sprinting in 7-8 sets non stop.

Trust me you'll be fucked after doing that that.

Last edited by m3thod (2008-06-11 15:10:26)

ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6636
I'm not fat at all. I'm actually underweight. That's why I want to run. I have a small slab of fat on my stomach that I want gone and I want my abs to show. I also want to build my leg muscles.

Last edited by ThaReaper (2008-06-11 15:36:37)

Brasso
+1,549|6627

ThaReaper wrote:

I'm not fag at all.
just wanted to point out the typo. 

walking/running will help you build endurance, along with some lean leg muscle.  if you want strength and bulging muscles, then you're going to want to do squats and the like (actual weightlifting).

as for the abs, walking/running will help as well, but be aware that exercise in a certain area tends to burn fat in THAT area only.  so you could try doing bridges.  http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase/vi … &ID=96

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-06-11 15:11:02)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
m3thod
+2,197|6668|UK

ThaReaper wrote:

I'm not fag at all. I'm actually underweight. That's why I want to run. I have a small slab of fat on my stomach that I want gone and I want my abs to show. I also want to build my leg muscles.
Then you should be bulking and doing weights and limiting your cardio to 20-30 mins of high intensity sessions.
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6553|Scotland

ThaReaper wrote:

I'm not fag at all. I'm actually underweight. That's why I want to run. I have a small slab of fat on my stomach that I want gone and I want my abs to show. I also want to build my leg muscles.
If you want your build your leg muscles, then run outside. More strain on them as a treadmill wont put nearly enough strain on them as what running outside will.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard