Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6721|St. Andrews / Oslo

The California is a new Ferrari.

That's new as in new. Not a replacement for any of the existing models, but an additional fourth range for the company.

And, whatever the ill-informed speculation elsewhere in the blogosphere might have said, it's not a bottom-end Ferrari. It'll cost somewhere around, maybe a little above, the price of a 430 Spider.

It goes on sale after a public debut at the Paris Show this September.

Ferrari has aimed to make a car that's luxurious and useable every day, because it knows there are many thousands of newly ultra-rich around the world who don't see why a supercar should be grumpy, uncomfortable and difficult to drive through town.

To achieve that California has a lot of technologies new to Ferrari.

It's the first time they've made a front-engined V8. The first time they've done direct petrol injection. The first time they've done a folding metal hardtop. The first time they've had a dual-clutch transmission instead of the F1 system that jerks and stutters at low speed. The first time they've had multi-link rear suspension, to maintain handling but improve ride.

But don't worry, it's still a Ferrari.

It gets from 0-62 in 'under four seconds'. It has 460bhp at 7500rpm from a 4.3-litre engine, which is only slightly less than the same block produces in the 430, but the new car, because it a grand tourer, has a more generous torque curve. Having seven speeds in the box improves performance further.

It has carbon brakes as standard. The traction control system is borrowed from the brilliant 599. It has an aluminium body shell, and Ferrari has proved with the 430 Spider that it knows how to make this construction light and stiff.

Full details and more pictures are in the new issue of Top Gear magazine. There'll be more drip-feed as the summer goes along.

Get your deposit into your dealer now. Or, if your bank balance is like the rest of ours', at least book your Eurostar ticket to Paris this October.
https://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2843/main.jpg
https://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2843/images/1/large.jpg
https://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2843/images/2/large.jpg

Disapointing tbh

source

Last edited by Jenspm (2008-05-18 05:00:03)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6612|Little Bentcock
Profile is secksy
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6610|London, England
Gay name. Stick to Italian names instead of pandering to Yanks, Ferrari.

Other than that. It looks like it has some nice shit under the exterior.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6660|UK
sounds dumb without an italian sounding name.

550 Marenello
550 Barchetta
360 Modeno
Ferrari 250 California??? wtf.

edit

beaten by the stizzle.

In fact on further investoigation its not the first time the cali name has been used!

This is a resurrection of the California name. One of the most famous earlier incarnations was the 1958 250 California Spyder depicted in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospe … ----t.html

Last edited by m3thod (2008-05-18 05:05:28)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6832|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Is it just me, or does the front look awfully similar to an Aston Martin?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland

Sydney wrote:

Was about to the same thing. Very reminiscent to that of an Aston Martin. Bar the name, it's definetely a practical Ferrari unlike others. Looks like a baby 575 and the back just seems a bit too high to make a 'supercar'. Actually, looking at some more photos it looks pretty much like a Lotus Exige, just a bit bigger in both price and actual size! The actual specs look promising...but I'd go for a 360 over it.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6755|UK
looks shit. rich womans car tbh.
ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6545|Scotland
I think the 599 and this "california" have gay as fuck front ends. the back looks nice, car in general is nice, but the front makes it look fucking gay.

Sydney wrote:

aston martin
a bit.
bennisboy
+829|6635|Poundland
I think its quite nice, altho the profile view is a lot nicer than the front view
The#1Spot
+105|6529|byah

Vilham wrote:

If it was a womans car it would weigh about 450kg extra from safety equipment.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6538|UK

Vilham wrote:

Agreed, it looks 'cute' from the front rather than agressive which is the hall mark of a girls car.

N I dunno if it is something to do with an EU safety thing but the windscreen looks too big for the car, it's kind of deformed looking lol.  Am sure it will be a nice car but I think the Aston Martin V8 Vantage still holds the baby super car crown, least from an asthetic point of view.

Edit:  It just hit me, the front looks like a Toyota MR2 and the back is off of a TVR Tomora.  Least I think so.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-05-18 06:41:54)

Benzin
+576|5987
I haven't been impressed much with what Ferrari has been producing as of late. Sure, the cars perform GREAT. But they don't seem like Ferraris anymore. Porsche on the other hand ... there's a company that still knows where it's at.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6670|Disaster Free Zone

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Couldn't agree more. But the first picture showed some promise... but then I saw the second and third ones .

Sydney wrote:

No, Aston's looks good.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6212|Escea

I'm starting to see difficulties in distinguishing sports cars these days, they all look basically the same.
jsnipy
+3,276|6511|...

Haven't they used the name California in a Ferrari before?

edit: a.k.a. Ferris Bueller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250#250_GT_California_Spyder_LWB wrote:

Designed for export to America, the 1957 250 GT California Spyder was Scaglietti's interpretation of an open-top 250 GT. Aluminum was used in the hood, doors, and trunk lid, with steel specified elsewhere for most models, though a few aluminum-bodied racing versions were also built. The engine was the same as in the 250 Tour de France racing car with up to 240 hp (179 kW). All used the long 2600 mm (102.4 in) chassis. About 45 were made before it was replaced by the SWB version in 1960, a fact mentioned by Cameron Frye in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day off." This film made that car famous. Today the car is worth in the neighborhood of 2-4 million dollars, a recent car selling for 1.2 million dollars at an RM Auction in Florida.

Since a replica of one of these called a "Modena" appeared in the 1980s as Cameron's father's dream car in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the Ferrari 250 GT California may be the most widely recognized of the various models produced.

This car was sold at a RM Auction during the Concorse d'Eligance on August 18, 2007 at monterey for 4.5 million dollars, setting a record for sale price at the auction
Overpriced to be honest, an $80 z06 can hang.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-05-18 07:53:00)

DankmanHightimes
+24|6489|atlanta GA

M.O.A.B wrote:

I'm starting to see difficulties in distinguishing sports cars these days, they all look basically the same.
nothing like a $200k+ pontic solice. wtg ferrari
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5950|Washington DC
"to achieve that California must blablabla"

See, in these situations it's good to use "the" before the name of the car. I never understood why people act like cars are living things... it's "the Toyota Prius is gas efficient not "Toyota Prius is gas efficient"
Ryan
+1,230|6832|Alberta, Canada

Looks alright, but looks similar to the Lotus Elise *bleh*
https://smgenglish.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/26/lotus_elise_s_40th_1.jpg

Last edited by Ryan (2008-05-18 07:55:40)

Benzin
+576|5987
Considering it has a price tag over an F430 Spyder, I can think of better cars for the money. MUCH better cars. Just read the press release: making a super car for the new ultra-rich. Sure, it's not like the Dino (which never sported Ferrari badges) where it was priced to be affordable, but it might as well be the Honda Civic of the Ferrari line up, even though it isn't the cheapest. That's precisely where they are aiming their market at - the Ferrari for everyone. What a fucking joke.
liquix
+51|6443|Peoples Republic of Portland

ddenholm67 wrote:

I think the 599 and this "california" have gay as fuck front ends. the back looks nice, car in general is nice, but the front makes it look fucking gay.

Sydney wrote:

aston martin
a bit.
we are missing another "gay" or two in your post Sir.

Last edited by liquix (2008-05-18 22:00:42)

aimless
+166|6114|Texas
There has already been a Ferrari California, another convertible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_25 … Spyder_LWB
VicktorVauhn
+319|6381|Southern California

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

As some one who lives in california let me just say....

What a fucking gay name. Not bad as the name of a state, but "Ohhhh we made a convertible, lets name it after California...the sun shine state. GTFO with that stupid crap. I wonder if Ford will answer back with the all new Delaware.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6629

Ryan wrote:

Looks alright, but looks similar to the Lotus Elise *bleh*
http://smgenglish.typepad.com/photos/un … 40th_1.jpg
That car looks like a joke...
Benzin
+576|5987
The Elise may look funny (read: sexy), but it fucking FLIES! Drive one sometime and then come and chat.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6212|Escea

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

As some one who lives in california let me just say....

What a fucking gay name. Not bad as the name of a state, but "Ohhhh we made a convertible, lets name it after California...the sun shine state. GTFO with that stupid crap. I wonder if Ford will answer back with the all new Delaware.
Isn't the sun shine state Florida?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard